Fram TG 9 months, 4k miles. Rust!

If Fram filters rusted that easy we would be seeing a lot of these on the forums here. This might be a one time thing or the OP drove through something that accelerated the rust.

Reactions: hrv
I can believe it if it was used while driving on heavily salted roads.
I live where there is grossly excessive use of road salt and the filter on my ECHO hangs down just inches from the road. I do use Fram filters sometimes and holy cow I've never seen anything like this. I go 10K on the filter sometimes and those pictures are worse than anything I have ever seen.

Positioned horizontal at the bottom of the engine facing the passenger side fender well. It’s behind a splash shield but I’m sure it gets wash under there. The filters come off dirty. It went on in March. There may have still been salting going on. But not too much after March. I usually do oil changes sooner than 9 months, but the car hasn’t been moving much. I also have an Altima 2.5 has the same location and uses the same filters (7317 long, 6607 short). I’ve never seen a rusty Fram TG come off either. This is the first time I’ve ever seen a rusted filter on any of my vehicles, why I posted.

I’d say fikter did ok but I haven’t saw media pics. What oil and filter went back in and on?

Thank You sir

Might have been rusted metal from the factory. Maybe rusted a little before being painted and the rust just accelerated while in use?

• Haha
I have run Frams for as much as 18 months in Ohio and never had a rust issue with them.

I've never been that impressed with Fram paint.

I notice a couple of things, it almost looks like a dent in the can. Look above the M in the grippy stuff.

Rust seems to radiate from the grippy stuff. Did that application damage the finish?​
Was a strap wrench used to tighten damaging the finish?​

NE salt and sand can do a number on metal parts/areas. Was topic TG a bit moisture/condensation or rust predisposed before installation? Possible too. Whatever the case, rust did a job. Almost looks like the grippy stuff trapped/held some of the salt water under it, and rust spread from that area.

I’d say fikter did ok but I haven’t saw media pics. What oil and filter went back in and on?

Thank You sir
Maxlife high mileage semi 10w30. Another TG went back on. Pics of location.

Attachments

• F4C2CAF2-C92C-41CC-B603-41B3E95A5AB4.jpeg
    F4C2CAF2-C92C-41CC-B603-41B3E95A5AB4.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 0B18E560-52B5-4A45-8D02-B0339502BFFB.jpeg
    0B18E560-52B5-4A45-8D02-B0339502BFFB.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 70
Ahh I got ya Duckryder... That makes sense. About the 9 being 2019. Darn...
Sticky in this forum.

There is suppose to be a good overlap between the paint and the suregrip coating. Could be the overlap was bad on this filter and that combined with salty roads was a bad combination,

Last edited:
Back