Fram Ultra Startup ticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it might be the TSB mentioned by MParr, why I hung in there so long with the Ultra. But I couldn't resist a hot swap with a TG one day to confirm. If it was the TSB the filter swap should not change anything. Well it did. So I think Trav is right, my 6.0L just does not like that filter anymore, and its time to move on. And the comments confirm that I'm not alone.

Somethings up with the screen IMO. I don't remember seeing so much screen blocking the holes checking in the past. I'm wondering if the screen is getting distorted and somehow compressed or sucked towards the holes during operation. Hampering flow a bit. I tried to find examples on here of Ultras cut open, but there are very few tube pics. Here's some going back in time.

The 2017 Ultra that caused noise on my 6.0 XG3506. Had just under 7k on it
full-39849-17103-20171216_131336.jpg

2017 XG4386 w/10k on it

XG6607 2016 w/14k
dfaiwj.jpg

XG3614, 2014. 8k
_MG_2016_zps6497f453.jpg

An Ultra XG10575 circa 2014 approx same miles as mine.

Virgin XG7317 circa 2013
CAM001201_zps28ec9a0f.jpg

I have noticed a startup tick on my wife's 2017 3.6 Impala using an Ultra filter but since I have no previous experience with other filters on this car and thinking, because the filter attaches horizontally, this was likely normal?
I am running PUP 5W-30 and plan on doing an oil change this spring but will not be purchasing another Ultra but rather a Tough Guard, so I am also curious what I am going to notice?

Like others have mentioned, it's hard to believe it's the filter causing this but also, since other peeps have personally noticed it themselves, it's hard to just write it off as nonsense.

LeakySeals, so are you hearing this start-up noise every time the engine is started? Does it make noise every time after sitting over night? Does it make noise every time after sitting 15 minutes after a hot shutdown?

Did the engine start making start-up noises half way between filter changes?

Some of those details might help understand better what's going on.

LeakySeals
I know you have to be scratching your head. I’ll bet you’re wondering if the ticking will show back up. Old timers would hold back a half a quart of oil and add Type F transmission fluid and run it a while then change the mix and filter. Rislone is another product that’s been used many years. If the ticking returns try some Rislone. Otherwise, you may have some top end parts that need replacing.
https://rislone.com/product/engine-treatment/

Originally Posted By: irv
I have noticed a startup tick on my wife's 2017 3.6 Impala using an Ultra filter but since I have no previous experience with other filters on this car and thinking, because the filter attaches horizontally, this was likely normal?
I am running PUP 5W-30 and plan on doing an oil change this spring but will not be purchasing another Ultra but rather a Tough Guard, so I am also curious what I am going to notice?

Like others have mentioned, it's hard to believe it's the filter causing this but also, since other peeps have personally noticed it themselves, it's hard to just write it off as nonsense.

I have no idea why or how it happens but if the only thing different is the filter and the noise is gone I have to suspect the filter.
Since the day I put the engine together it had been dead silent I used this filter and it started ticking from the front of the engine near the oil pressure relief valve (in block) at first cold start. Changed the filter only and it has never made another sound and that was a few years ago. I'm no genius but it sure sounds like some sort of restriction at high pressure.

I have since gone back to NAPA gold (WIX), Motorcraft on Fords and German made MANN on Euro cars, given their history it seems like a safe bet. I don't want excess wear or God forbid lose an engine because of a possible sketchy filter.

There is something I’ve been thinking about, restricted flow through the filter. I don’t know if anyone has done any investigation into that. By restriction, I’m not thinking about the media, I’m thinking about total surface area of the perforations in the center tube and the total surface area of the holes in the end cap, surrounding the center threaded hole.

Last edited:
Doubt that's the issue. People have done those type of calculations and never seem to find the base plate holes or center tube holes total area being smaller than the filter mount feed hole area.

Again, with a PD oil pump there would have to be a very major restriction to cause the pump to starve the engine by hitting pressure relief way sooner than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back