Fram TG 9 months, 4k miles. Rust!

Any chance your hands were slick so you snugged it up with a metal strap oil filter wrench and scratched it up.. didnt see it suggested unless I missed it

I will gladly vouch for LeakySeals ...

He did no do anything here and he is not highly biased against Fram. Not at all.

LS what date code is in the Fram TG ?
..Do you remember where you purchased it or got it from ?
I too will vouch for LeakySeals. He's a well respected member who's been here a very long time.

His oil filter looks like it didn't withstand the elements well at all. The underside of his car is very clean and in excellent condition(y). If the current TG comes off looking really ragged again, swing by your nearest Nissan dealer and grab an oem and see how it holds up to the elements compared to the TG.

Excellent post LeakySeals. Lots of good pictures and information!(y)

Bad metal. No other explanation. Even crap non-galvanized 18 gauge steel with crap lacquer or early enamel paint in the 70's automobiles didn't rust through for years. An oil filter with no paint at all, covered in salt still shouldn't rust completely through in that short of time. OP verified it was a 2019 filter build date ran for 9 months.

Bad steel. In 2019 steel prices were high - my guess is Fram sourced from somewhere cheap and that part of the coil had a defect. It happens.

Yet one more argument for 6 month OCI minimum.

Back