Fram "Orange Can O' Death" - >1 year, >20k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If that thing has 20,000 miles on it... it looks awesome...

+1 I agree.

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303

Conventional oil? You have no idea what kind of firestorm this thread will start...
I use conventional oil. 10 years ago, I got a '98 S10 with 63K on it. 3K OCIs (one OCI, one filter), and I use P Classics. Go ahead, flame me, rip me a new one. Tell me I'm being blind (a couple dozen anecdotes on an internet message board do not a study make) and, OH WAIT, the truck runs fine, I have no sediment in the oil pan with that OCI and what I'm seeing on here is the same kind of hysteria, [censored] and nonsense I see on guitar boards regarding pickups. There's the flavor of the week followed by a bunch of people saying they sound like doo doo.

I'll cut open the next two P-Classics I use, photograph the evidence and present it here. But I have to see it for myself, and possible faked photos on the internet don't cut the mustard. If they're torn, I'll use N-Gold. If they're not torn, I'll be here, pointing and laughing.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Ram01 said:
Looks good fram orange gets a bad rap while P1 filters are falling apart yet everybody loves them

The only good FRAM oil filter is a FU. All of the rest of them, great targets to shoot at.
BTW, my local WM is starting to thin out the Purolator Classic line.

Wake up and smell the oil! Look above...20K miles on an Orange can and it looks great! Yet the mid level Pure Ones are tearing after 3000 miles. BOF, you tell me, what is wrong with the above filter? (besides ADBV, which is nitrile and not expected to go 20K miles)

The end caps are not metal, I don't support nor dislike Purolator, and I can buy any filter I choose to.
smile.gif

Yeah, those non-metal end caps did a horrible job didnt they!

I agree! How dare they post such rubbish!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: telecat
I'll cut open the next two P-Classics I use, photograph the evidence and present it here. But I have to see it for myself, and possible faked photos on the internet don't cut the mustard. If they're torn, I'll use N-Gold. If they're not torn, I'll be here, pointing and laughing.

How do we know you didn't Photoshop the tears to look like no tears occurred? This kind of 'conspiracy nonsense' can go both ways.
grin.gif
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

How do we know you didn't Photoshop the tears to look like no tears occurred? This kind of 'conspiracy nonsense' can go both ways.
grin.gif
whistle.gif

You see my point, don't you?
shocked.gif

grin.gif
whistle.gif

shocked.gif

I highly doubt anyone is faking these reported tears on this chat board. You can construct tin foil hats all you want, but the 'conspiracy theory' doesn't hold water for me.

grin.gif
whistle.gif

Z06, I told you last time, I am tired of cutting open P1 filters and tearing the media for you.
27.gif

Seriously, has Purolator even acknowledged that they are having an issue with QC and if so, are they addressing the situation?

I know that people are just using the acronym OCOD as a way to refer to a particular FRAM oil filter (FRAM Extra Guard), but I don't use this acronym or nickname for that filter. There was a time that I would not use FRAM oil filters because of stuff on the internet and also because of others advising me not to use them, but after doing more research I eventually came around and started using their filters ... the FRAM Ultra being one of my favorite filters (it's one of the best filters out there, in my opinion). In addition to the FRAM Ultras, I also have a couple Tough Guards and one Extra Guard in my oil filter stash.

Wow. The nitrile adbv is designed to last 6-7k or so before they become brittle. You should put an Ultra with a silicone adbv on in case the next interval is 20k. At least that way your covered. Thanks for posting.

grin.gif
whistle.gif

Z06, I told you last time, I am tired of cutting open P1 filters and tearing the media for you.
27.gif

Seriously, has Purolator even acknowledged that they are having an issue with QC and if so, are they addressing the situation?

Checkout my awesome "Photoshop skillz" back in May 2011!
grin.gif

Link: Photoshopped Tear Skillz

Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Conventional oil? You have no idea what kind of firestorm this thread will start...

I'm *sure* it was conventional oil. And to further fan the flames...since it was done at Walmart...it was probably SuperTech!
wink.gif

28.gif

thanks,
ben

Originally Posted By: Umibozu
UOA by any chance on that oil?

Nope. And I really wish I had taken a sample. Had I known all the discussion this would have generated...I would most definitely have pulled one.

Switching gears...I've got at least three Purolators in service right now. One on the Aerio, one on the wife's Lancer, and one on my 1994 vintage Deere STX-38 (12 HP Kohler). I might have a Purolator on the 'stang...but more likely a Motorcraft.

I'll cut all of these open when they come off.

The Tundra uses a totally stupid cartridge filter. To be totally honest, I thought the Purolator filter element for the Tundra was a cheap piece of cow patty (made in India). So I went back to Toyota brand elements, bought in bulk online, which actually cost less per unit including shipping.

I would like to smack the engineers that thought it was a good idea to have a cartridge filter and that it would be a great idea to cover the housing with a skid plate that requires the removal of nine bolts to get off.
mad.gif

I can change the oil in the Lancer in ten minutes. The Tundra...an hour.
33.gif

thanks,
ben

grin.gif
whistle.gif

shocked.gif

I highly doubt anyone is faking these reported tears on this chat board. You can construct tin foil hats all you want, but the 'conspiracy theory' doesn't hold water for me.

I've been on internet fora for a long time and I can tell you, herd mentality is rampant. You go ahead and believe what you like. I WILL open and inspect my next P-Classic and inspect for tears. With a 3K OCI I expect it to be fine but if it's not, I'll eat my share of crow.

I'm just not taking anyone else's word for it. BTDT, wiped me butt with the t-shirt. Personal experience drives my actions nowadays.

^^^ If you don't find any tears on the particular filters you cut open doesn't mean everything is honky-dory.
grin.gif

^^^ If you don't find any tears on the particular filters you cut open doesn't mean everything is honky-dory.
grin.gif

It means everything is hunky dory for ME, now doesn't it?

What happens with youse guys is your own bidness. Personally, I think extended OCIs are nonsense, engines are stupid, and manufacturer-recommended OCIs have marketing geared toward wearing out the car faster built into such recommendations. My oil was remarkably clean draining after 3k, and the ADBV made swapping the filter a snap. I also think extended OCIs are partly responsible for the tears popping up. There MAY be a problem with the filters, but as I said, my own experience will form my opinion. I remain unconvinced the problem is as widespread as some here claim. I'm, reading a LOT of FUD in this thread alone.

A longer OCI will have you at the engine shop or the dealer's showroom faster than a 3K OCI. Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me. For me, a 3k OCI means three oil changes per year. Maybe four. Not expensive.

I also think extended OCIs are partly responsible for the tears popping up. There MAY be a problem with the filters, but as I said, my own experience will form my opinion. I remain unconvinced the problem is as widespread as some here claim. I'm, reading a LOT of FUD in this thread alone.

A longer OCI will have you at the engine shop or the dealer's showroom faster than a 3K OCI. Seems penny wise and pound foolish to me. For me, a 3k OCI means three oil changes per year. Maybe four. Not expensive.

Finally, a member here that seems to have the same thinking mentality as me and is not programmed like most.
Telecat, I am member BlueOvalFitter and am darn proud to meet you!
34.gif

4 OCI / year vs 2 = say an extra $50 (this is providing your own labor and buying stuff at WalMart)
$500 over ten years, plus days of your life - and what for? Your engine will last just the same with 6k (we're going off your 3k here, but you could use syn/OLM and go much longer) OCI.
Now assume you take it to a shop or dealer. Easily $1000 difference. Again you gain NOTHING. Engines don't wear out with 6k mile OCIs. Look at Dnewton's posts.

Waste your money. Fine. Myself and many others have never ran to an engine shop or a dealer because we follow the manufacturer's recommended OCI. "cheap insurance" - do you also replace your battery every two years? Tires at 20k miles? Why stop at oil?

grin.gif

It means everything is hunky dory for ME, now doesn't it?

What happens with youse guys is your own bidness. Personally, I think extended OCIs are nonsense, engines are stupid, and manufacturer-recommended OCIs have marketing geared toward wearing out the car faster built into such recommendations. My oil was remarkably clean draining after 3k, and the ADBV made swapping the filter a snap. I also think extended OCIs are partly responsible for the tears popping up. There MAY be a problem with the filters, but as I said, my own experience will form my opinion. I remain unconvinced the problem is as widespread as some here claim. I'm, reading a LOT of FUD in this thread alone.

Filter failure or not, it's not like there's any engine damage to behold. Modern engines are pretty [censored] bulletproof and with adequate OCIs, nearly everything else will break before the engine does. And even if by some chance there is engine failure, there's a lot of other reasons before it comes down to purely filter and oil.

Even my neighbor across the street has been running his Acura TL and Subaru B9 Tribeca on conventional oil for 10k+ (even past the oil life monitor reading, gasp!) for years, and the engines haven't failed yet.

There's a lot of milling on oil, filters, and intervals but not many stories on engine failures. And of the engine failures I have seen, the majority are due to stupidity (never changing oil, poor maintenance, etc.)
3k changes not expensive? Depends on who you ask. Bad for the environment? Definitely. Worth the peace of mind? Your choice.

Manufacturers aren't conspiring to design a maintenance schedule that will have your car break down after the warranty period. That's just bad practice and not in their interest. If the car is that bad, you'd be smart to not buy from that company again. They would lose you as a customer and get a bad rap, which above all else is what they don't want.
Either way this topic fascinates me, hence why I'm here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
4 OCI / year vs 2 = say an extra $50 (this is providing your own labor and buying stuff at WalMart)
$500 over ten years, plus days of your life - and what for? Your engine will last just the same with 6k (we're going off your 3k here, but you could use syn/OLM and go much longer) OCI.
Now assume you take it to a shop or dealer. Easily $1000 difference. Again you gain NOTHING. Engines don't wear out with 6k mile OCIs. Look at Dnewton's posts.

Waste your money. Fine. Myself and many others have never ran to an engine shop or a dealer because we follow the manufacturer's recommended OCI. "cheap insurance" - do you also replace your battery every two years? Tires at 20k miles? Why stop at oil?

1) Depends on the battery mfr. make and warranty.
2) If they are 40K mile tires and your front end is shot, yes, 20K is about normal.
Why stop at oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back