Fram "Orange Can O' Death" - >1 year, >20k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

The Mother-in-Law moved in with us recently (health issues) and I inherited taking care of her car - a 2004 Suzuki Aerio AWD.

This morning we're headed to Walmart so I ask when was the last time she had her oil changed. She couldn't remember, but she was sure it was more than a year ago.
crazy2.gif
So I pick up a 5qt jug of Valvoline ($5 with K-mart matching coupon, yeah!) and a Purolator filter.

Whatever oil was in there...I'll give it credit. I expected liquid sludge...and while it was black...it didn't flow all that poorly. Some sludge visible thru the fill port...but not bad at all.

Off comes the filter...Fram Extra Guard Pro PH4386. And its clear that the ADBV has failed as the oil came out freely without poking a hole in the can...which would explain the start-up rattle.

fram1_zps99288d29.jpg

Nothing remarkable here. While the ADBV was failed...I didn't see any cracking or deterioration in the ADBV that would explain why. The ADBV sealing surface looked okay. The cardboard ends are still firmly glued to the pleats.

fram2_zpse2d6c290.jpg

So...not too bad...actually looks pretty good.

fram4_zpsb15e82fd.jpg

A little distortion in a couple of the pleats...not too bad...

Up to this point...I was firmly in the Fram = Orange Can O' Death camp. Now...after seeing this filter...I'm not too sure... Still...I've good luck with Purolator, Wix, and NAPA Gold so I don't see any reason to change...

thanks much,
ben

Originally Posted By: Ram01
Looks good fram orange gets a bad rap while P1 filters are falling apart yet everybody loves them
Not me, I just got 3 PH7317 Fram EGs for the bro's Altima with the Pep Boy's OC specials & rebates, no more Puro Classics here!

Looks good fram orange gets a bad rap while P1 filters are falling apart yet everybody loves them

The only good FRAM oil filter is a FU. All of the rest of them, great targets to shoot at.
BTW, my local WM is starting to thin out the Purolator Classic line.

I would rather have the old extra guard back on it than the new Purolator!!!!! they are junk, don't believe it just look through the torn media threads.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

The only good FRAM oil filter is a FU. All of the rest of them, great targets to shoot at.

Wake up and smell the oil! Look above...20K miles on an Orange can and it looks great! Yet the mid level Pure Ones are tearing after 3000 miles. BOF, you tell me, what is wrong with the above filter? (besides ADBV, which is nitrile and not expected to go 20K miles)

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
I would rather have the old extra guard back on it than the new Purolator!!!!! they are junk, don't believe it just look through the torn media threads.

You know, I could be wrong but, how many of these torn pleat stories are actually real and are actually fake? How do we know someone didn't just cut the pleat to get their 5 minutes of fame here by posting about it? C'mon, I know it has crossed a few other members minds here..........
35.gif

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Wake up and smell the oil! Look above...20K miles on an Orange can and it looks great! Yet the mid level Pure Ones are tearing after 3000 miles. BOF, you tell me, what is wrong with the above filter? (besides ADBV, which is nitrile and not expected to go 20K miles)

The end caps are not metal, I don't support nor dislike Purolator, and I can buy any filter I choose to.
smile.gif

You know, I could be wrong but, how many of these torn pleat stories are actually real and are actually fake? How do we know someone didn't just cut the pleat to get their 5 minutes of fame here by posting about it? C'mon, I know it has crossed a few other members minds here..........
35.gif

Yeah, it's all a conspiracy against Purolator. I guess I must have started it all back in May 2011.
grin.gif

Link: Start of the Conspiracy Movement

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yeah, it's all a conspiracy against Purolator.
crazy.gif

I guess I started it all back in May 2011.
grin.gif

Z06, it could very well be possible that there are some actual torn pleat stories out there. But, I know it has to have crossed another members mind to want to, let's say, "Be in the in crowd" and have there own torn pleat story. Hey, flame me all you want. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Here's another flame job you can throw at me;
"One Filter, One OCI!"
grin.gif

I think Motorking has posted that the ceiling on a nitrile ADBV is about 5-7k. That is one fantastic looking orange can for 20k.

Thanks for cutting and posting!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Yeah, it's all a conspiracy against Purolator.
crazy.gif

I guess I started it all back in May 2011.
grin.gif

Z06, it could very well be possible that there are some actual torn pleat stories out there. But, I know it has to have crossed another members mind to want to, let's say, "Be in the in crowd" and have there own torn pleat story. Hey, flame me all you want. I am a big boy, I can handle it. Here's another flame job you can throw at me;
"One Filter, One OCI!"
grin.gif

Just like all the fun people had with the Fram stories. People fell for it hook line and sinker!! I think some for the stories with the torn pleats are copycats.

Fantastic for 20K miles for a filter that was designed to go probably half that. Purolator better wake up and smell the oil. FU or M1 for this guy.

I wouldnt hesitate to run a fram orange can. I just prefer the TG for a bit more piece of mind.

Price comparison for 07 corolla filter @ walmart

Fram orange can 3.77
Fram TG 5.99
Fram Ultra 8.99

My intervals are not long enough to support buying the ultra.

If you want a Fram orange can, extra guard oil filter with a silicone ADBV just get the Fram HM oil filter.

You'll get the benefit of HM treatment with the silicone ADBV.

I picked up a couple of cases when they were on clearance/closeout at Summit Racing. There have been no problems with the Media, engines or start up rattle to report.

BOF, steveh, do you guys really think that people are faking these media tears? Why don't you tell us who the dishonest guys are and how you know?

Originally Posted By: Stelth
BOF, steveh, do you guys really think that people are faking these media tears? Why don't you tell us who the dishonest guys are and how you know?

Filter spy cam?

I have a suspicion that the mileage might be closer to 7500-10,000 on that filter. The filter just doesnt look like its been in duty for greater than 20,000 miles. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back