5 year old 21K mile Fram Ultra.

UncleDave

$100 Site Donor 2024
This filter has been on my truck just over 5 years and 21K miles.
ADBV still pliable and intact.
Can came right off. Only very mildly crushed during removal. It was put on hand tight 5 years ago.
Still wet but pleats look almost empty. Couple ugly pleats but nothing torn or moving.
Mags definitely caught some stuff.

Sump was 2500 miles of SN + HPL cleaner.
Unlike my Honda I see almost no residue in the can.

No reason not to keep trusting my old school stash to this kind of mileage and age.

IMG_4771.jpeg
IMG_4776.jpeg
IMG_4773.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg

Forgot to put in the "full dome" shot,
Only thing in there is a cut piece of metal from the opening.

IMG_4783 (1).jpeg

I've always wondered what was better if a person had to choose between the two. A filter with or without a magnet & what the results would be. I suppose the magnet could do a better job at the smaller stuff while the filter takes care of the larger debris. Just a thought. Anyways, Do you plan to run another Ultra? Do you still have some wire backed Ultra's? My stash of filters are 6-7 years old & they'll be older than that by the time I go through them & they aren't near the quality of the Ultra's so you're in good shape.

This filter has been on my truck just over 5 years and 21K miles.
ADBV still pliable and intact.
Can came right off. Only very mildly crushed during removal. It was put on hand tight 5 years ago.
Still wet but pleats look almost empty. Couple ugly pleats but nothing torn or moving.
Mags definitely caught some stuff.

Sump was 2500 miles of SN + HPL cleaner.
Unlike my Honda I see almost no residue in the can.

No reason not to keep trusting my old school stash to this kind of mileage and age.

View attachment 178797View attachment 178798View attachment 178799View attachment 178800View attachment 178801
Nice photos and write up. What oil and filter went back on and in? Thank You

I've always wondered what was better if a person had to choose between the two. A filter with or without a magnet & what the results would be. I suppose the magnet could do a better job at the smaller stuff while the filter takes care of the larger debris. Just a thought. Anyways, Do you plan to run another Ultra? Do you still have some wire backed Ultra's? My stash of filters are 6-7 years old & they'll be older than that by the time I go through them & they aren't near the quality of the Ultra's so you're in good shape.

The magnet is apparently good for between 1-3 ISO code drops. If this is true thats notable.

Happy with it keeping whatever ferrous material under the filters threshold out of my chain.

I put another 7317 back on.

Yeah I have about 8 wire backed ultras left, but I have three vehicles that use the same filter.

My 5.6L titan
My 3.5L Honda
My 1000 polaris turbo RZR

Don't rub it in 😄. Those are tiny assed filters, they look smaller than the 4967.

Dinky.

It's very strange to me to spin that on a 5.6, but this mill puts out almost nothing in the way of contamination - even towing extensively.

Last edited:
Back