Fram "Orange Can O' Death" - >1 year, >20k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Stelth
BOF, steveh, do you guys really think that people are faking these media tears? Why don't you tell us who the dishonest guys are and how you know?
After years of the outrageous Fram stories that everyone claimed were true, I am just trying to keep a open mind. All it took was a Rep from Fram to call some people out on the B.S stories. So I guess people can pick on Purolator because no one is calling them out on it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wouldnt hesitate to run a fram orange can. I just prefer the TG for a bit more piece of mind.

Price comparison for 07 corolla filter @ walmart

Fram orange can 3.77
Fram TG 5.99
Fram Ultra 8.99

My intervals are not long enough to support buying the ultra.

Run the Ultra for two OCIs since it's rated to go for 15K miles, then it's only $4.50 per OCI.

How sure are you about the 20K+?
I ask only because most high-end filters wouldn't look that good after 20K.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I wouldnt hesitate to run a fram orange can. I just prefer the TG for a bit more piece of mind.

Price comparison for 07 corolla filter @ walmart

Fram orange can 3.77
Fram TG 5.99
Fram Ultra 8.99

My intervals are not long enough to support buying the ultra.

Run the Ultra for two OCIs since it's rated to go for 15K miles, then it's only $4.50 per OCI.

I'm with you on this idea. But I've got to ask. Are you intentionally trying to get BlueOvalFitter to react? You know. The "One Oil Filter. One OCI" dude.

36.gif

Originally Posted By: Stelth
BOF, steveh, do you guys really think that people are faking these media tears?
I am pretty sure that the filter pleat tear stories are happening, but I also "think" some "just might" be made up.

Why don't you tell us who the dishonest guys are and how you know?

If I knew this that would mean I have ESP (N)
grin.gif
or own a crystal ball. In that case I would be one rich dude that would not be replying to this Q?

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
I'm with you on this idea. But I've got to ask. Are you intentionally trying to get BlueOvalFitter to react? You know. The "One Oil Filter. One OCI" dude.

36.gif

Nope, not trying intentionally ... BOF just like spewing his mantra whenever there's an opportunity.
grin.gif

I'm currently running an Ultra for two 6K OCIs on a clean engine ... so no worries what so ever.

Originally Posted By: deven
I have a suspicion that the mileage might be closer to 7500-10,000 on that filter. The filter just doesnt look like its been in duty for greater than 20,000 miles.

Thinking about this some more...20k miles may be a bit of a stretch.
blush.gif

The car is actually a 2005, bought new in the Summer of 2005. (I had to look all that up.) That would make it 9 years old. It's got 81,000 miles on the odometer, which means it is seeing ~9,000 miles per year on average.

HOWEVER, in the last two years, the car has been driven *much* more than usual. Mother-in-law says its been well more than a year since the last change. So...while 20,000 miles is a bit of a stretch...it has at least 15,000 miles on that filter...

thanks,
ben

Even if it was only 10k, that filter looks in great shape. What kind of oil was in the car, do you know?
Maybe your mother in law knows which shop she took it to last for an oil change?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gtmaster303
Even if it was only 10k, that filter looks in great shape. What kind of oil was in the car, do you know?
Maybe your mother in law knows which shop she took it to last for an oil change?

She's pretty sure it was Walmart. Not sure what bulk 5W-30 Walmart uses...but whatever it was...I'm pretty impressed.

thanks,
ben

its everybody on heres choice what to buy! im gonna stick with fram and have piece of mind!!! nobody on here knows who is telling the truth or not so if the op says it has 20k on it I believe it. and I will stick by with what I said on another thread, fram makes better products than anything Purolator makes!!!!! fiber end caps and all!!! seems proven to me it IS a better idea

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
BHopkins said:

36.gif

Nope, not trying intentionally ... BOF just like spewing his mantra whenever there's an opportunity.
grin.gif

Z06, did you miss me these last few months since I have been away recovering from surgery? Of all the members here I thought it would have been you giving me one of theses;

welcome2.gif

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: kd5byb

She's pretty sure it was Walmart. Not sure what bulk 5W-30 Walmart uses...but whatever it was...I'm pretty impressed.

thanks,
ben

Conventional oil? You have no idea what kind of firestorm this thread will start...

Originally Posted By: kd5byb

thanks,
ben

UOA by any chance on that oil?

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Z06, did you miss me these last few months since I have been away recovering from surgery? Of all the members here I thought it would have been you giving me one of theses;

welcome2.gif

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif

Yes, welcome back! Now start spreading your word of "1 Filter, 1 OCI".
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: sevenznuf
I would rather have the old extra guard back on it than the new Purolator!!!!! they are junk, don't believe it just look through the torn media threads.

You know, I could be wrong but, how many of these torn pleat stories are actually real and are actually fake? How do we know someone didn't just cut the pleat to get their 5 minutes of fame here by posting about it? C'mon, I know it has crossed a few other members minds here..........
35.gif

Probably no more or less than the "real" and "fake" OCOD stories that get bantered around here ...

Will all EGs go this far? I don't know. But this one example proves it's certainly doable under the right circumstances. It may not be advisable, but it didn't end in total destruction of the engine, as the OCOD camp would profess. To the contrary, the filter held up quite well.

So the end caps are not metal. Please show discrete specific details in how the fiber end caps failed here ... I dare ya.

So the media is not a 100% synthetic wire-backed mesh; please show where it failed to provide protection. I double-dog dare ya.

So the ADBV seems to have failed. Please show where the engine was irreparably harmed or is on death's door step. I triple-dog dare ya.

This is excellent proof of what I've been saying all along. There is plenty of reserve capacity in "normal" products. I 100% agree that this was probably pushing the boundary of sensible use, and I would not advise this condition be tried without full understanding of the risks. But, this is proof (along with my 15k miles on a MC and 10k miles on a WCOD) that normal products can easily usurp the "normal" use factors and sustain decent performance.

I am NOT saying folks should make a habit of running the O/FCI this long. I'm saying that if for some reason it does happen, engine destruction is not the assured result, and selling your ride for fear of impending doom is foolish. If one passes the intended "normal" O/FCI, it is not time to panic. And you cannot make up for such an event by then using M1 lubes and M1 filters every 3k miles over the next three years in an effort to undue what was done (which is this case appears to be nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary ....)

Any filter brand can have a series of failures; we're seeing some now in Puro's line. Fram had some questionable stuff back in the day, but seems to be solid now, despite the hard-headed approach of many a BITOGer.

BOF - you are certainly welcome to have your opinion and buy what you wish.

But what I see is evidence that the EG is a capable product, even way past where you'd fear to tread.

Last edited:
Another tidbit here is that posters often promote higher tier filters based on holding capacity.
This Fram appears to have holding capacity to spare even though it was run well past the life Fram advises for it.

It's 2014 and we're all shocked and surprised that a product as simple and as long produced as an oil filter has only partially- and not completely failed from its intended service. This filter doesn't look outstanding, we're all just impressed it hasn't totally disintegrated
lol.gif

The oil not being gelatinous speaks well of the Suzuki engine. 20K is the unofficial Japanese "severe service" interval.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Ram01
Looks good fram orange gets a bad rap while P1 filters are falling apart yet everybody loves them

The only good FRAM oil filter is a FU. All of the rest of them, great targets to shoot at.
BTW, my local WM is starting to thin out the Purolator Classic line.

Wake up and smell the oil! Look above...20K miles on an Orange can and it looks great! Yet the mid level Pure Ones are tearing after 3000 miles. BOF, you tell me, what is wrong with the above filter? (besides ADBV, which is nitrile and not expected to go 20K miles)

The end caps are not metal, I don't support nor dislike Purolator, and I can buy any filter I choose to.
smile.gif

Yeah, those non-metal end caps did a horrible job didnt they! FACEPALM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back