FRAM or not?

I use a Fram oil filter on all my automobiles except for first generation GM Ecotec engines. In those I typically use a Hengst oil filter because they are the ones who literally designed the oil filter housing for those engines. Kinda of a no brainer for me. I usually stick to OE filters for OPE.

So I've read many posts about how people use FRAM oil filters and they're fine with. Then I watch videos where FRAM is cut open and it's called the Orange Can of Death. What's the deal with it and why do they get such a bad wrap?
I never seen any orange can failures with media tearing and the media separating from the fiber plates. Fram has been making filters that same way for many decades. I would think if Fram had bad products, they would be gone long ago.

I never seen any orange can failures with media tearing and the media separating from the fiber plates. Fram has been making filters that same way for many decades. I would think if Fram had bad products, they would be gone long ago.

It's funny because it is very easy to find people talking about Fram failures but the comparative difference between the amount of smack talk versus the amount of actual evidence of failure is astounding.

Some people just don't care about truth and reality, they just want to get wrapped up in emotion and drama and oddly enough this brand of auto parts seems to bring that out in an abundance of people. So Fram can now be lumped in with things like Pro Wrestling and Politics 🤣

I'm thinking of switching from Fram TG to orange can since my oil life monitor goes off soon enough that I'm really not putting that many miles on the filter. Specifically around 5000 - 5800 miles in suburban driving. That was equating to around an annual oil change for what used to be my backup car. Now that it's my primary car I do wonder if my oil like monitor is going to work different though.

So I've read many posts about how people use FRAM oil filters and they're fine with. Then I watch videos where FRAM is cut open and it's called the Orange Can of Death. What's the deal with it and why do they get such a bad wrap?
Because of internet "expert" judgement especially due to their use of cardboard endcaps, vs metal on the OCOD and ToughGards.

This forum was big on metal endcaps, even though the Germans on their cartridge filters don't usually use metal endcaps either. The ones for my VW have used resin-paper (Mann/Mahle) and some chipped fiber endcap (I forget which manufacturer) materials. I used to get a lot of hate for using Fram CH9911 orange box, because it was Fram orange box, but they were repacked-Made-in-Germany oil filter (most likely a Mahle) filter at a discounted rate. Then they switched to in-house made-in-China with plastic endcaps (like a Hengst) but dimensions weren't quite right.

Then Tearolators came out with despite metal endcaps and some Denso oil filters barely have metal endcaps.

Long long time ago when I worked at a car dealership, I remember most engine failures had FRAM Orange can filters on them. I do NOT think the filter caused the engine to fail but the lack of actual maintenance from the owner of the vehicle. I also remember working in an auto parts store as a high school kid and seeing the difference in the filters vs other brands. I am glad they seemly have fixed alot of the old quality issues, but now my brain is stuck on not using FRAM. I generally buy WIX.

BITOG Commandments:

1) Thou shalt use the search function
2) Thou shalt respect Fram ultra synthetic and tough guards and rightly so
3) Thou shalt use Mobil 1 0w-40 for every application for it is the ambrosia that all history talks about

Jokes aside, FRAM makes good stuff across the board, it has a great reputation and it's ultra synthetic is one of the best if not the best, spin on filter you can buy from the store or in general.

I am one of the early Fram haters. In 1985 we bought and cut open a lot of new oil filters out of curiosity. The Fram was absolute garbage, with the fiber end cap barely holding on. I kept those cut open filters for years, showing dozens of folks how the fiber end cap was barely attached. I probably caused a lot of Fram hate with my samples. Now, 35 years older and a little bit wiser, I run orange cans on my mower and my beater work van. They are good enough for my application of low value vehicle and short interval. For higher end cars, Ultra for the win.

I have worked at flawed companies where nothing ever changes. I now realize that things can change, although it can be like tunneling through a mountain with a teaspoon.

Back