FRAM or not?

So I've read many posts about how people use FRAM oil filters and they're fine with. Then I watch videos where FRAM is cut open and it's called the Orange Can of Death. What's the deal with it and why do they get such a bad wrap?

So I've read many posts about how people use FRAM oil filters and they're fine with. Then I watch videos where FRAM is cut open and it's called the Orange Can of Death. What's the deal with it and why do they get such a bad wrap?
And what evidence do they give for that name?

Since joining BITOG I've gone full circle from happy Fram user, to FRAM is the OCOD and now to 'I put Fram Ultra's on everything". When I first started here Fram was a 4 letter word and Purolator was the affordable filter of choice, now its just the opposite.. Even the orange extraguard's have silicone anti-drainback valves these days. I use all with confidence.

Fram Ultra for me. One of those things I don’t have to worry about, and when worries come, Fram has got my back. Great customer service and support.

Ten years ago to this very month Fram was acquired by Trico, prior to that Fram was owned by Honeywell and they had a notoriously bad reputation for producing low quality products. Trico has changed that in the past decade and the Fram Ultra spin-on can oil filter is arguably the best performing and highest quality oil filter on the market.

Fram haters tend to bash on the quality that the brand was associated with over a decade ago and there are a lot of clickbait artists that exploit that negativity by parroting the tired stereotypes all over the internet. Youtube is replete with people like this.

If you want to learn the reality about oil filters, read this forum instead of watching click-bait YouTube videos produced by people who are just parroting misconceptions.

The Fram with the orange can has served millions upon millions of vehicle without an issue. I do believer there are better Bang-for-the-buck filters though. Ed
Such as which brands, in your opinion?

Ten years ago to this very month Fram was acquired by Trico, prior to that Fram was owned by Honeywell and they had a notoriously bad reputation for producing low quality products. Trico has changed that in the past decade and the Fram Ultra spin-on can oil filter is arguably the best performing and highest quality oil filter on the market.

Fram haters tend to bash on the quality that the brand was associated with over a decade ago and there are a lot of clickbait artists that exploit that negativity by parroting the tired stereotypes all over the internet. Youtube is replete with people like this.
Rank Group had them in between Honeywell & Trico. Fram hate is just like saying Pennzoil & Quaker State sludge engines-old BAD information!

The Fram with the orange can has served millions upon millions of vehicle without an issue. I do believer there are better Bang-for-the-buck filters though. Ed
Depends on the meaning of "better bang for the buck" ... there can be many "meanings".

I mean better values. I had been using The FRAM orange can since 1955 and have yet to find a bad one. I had switched to Purolator ~ 1995, which proved to be a bad move. I now rely on the Fram Ultra or the one below it, depending on my application.

I used the Orange, silver, and gold can frams for YEARS. No issues with them what do ever.
I’ve gone back to OEM Toyota filters on my truck - otherwise an ultra would be attached.

Making oil filter is not same as making Boeing. That being said, some companies always find way to screw up even the simplest product.
I used FRAM on occasions 15 years ago on Mazda Millenia, and few years back on Sienna. No issues, and would not hesitate to use it again.
Though I always try to go OE or MANN, MAHLE or Hengst.

Back