Fram Extra Guard going to Metal End Caps?

Your assumption - Nothing unclear in what I wrote - the ST picture was already there - and have used that exact ST filter …
Forget about it …
What was your point in saying "(don’t know if they are rated in miles) …" in post 32?

Those filters look like white Supertech filters dipped in orange paint. Unless this update starts showing up at box stores, I would be weary about something like this showing up from Amazon.

But then again, Occam's Razor points to a simple solution: What if this is legitimate and just a sign of severe supply chain disruptions for one of the most common oil filters and Fram is taking whatever they can get from their parent company so they don't just run out of PH7317's

^^^ I know repetitious but I'm going with the former, authentic First Brands Champ Labs made "Fram". Especially since they already exist under AAP "Drive" moniker. Just add sticker and Sure Grip dip/spray, same filter.

The latter too elaborate a ruse, to what point and/or goal, can't see it. That said, conspiracy theories are a more attractive answer.

I think it is pretty clear that Fram is having major issues with sourcing something for the EG. Whether it be the media, the material for the end caps, whatever. The "new" Subaru filter has had pretty much the exact same changes and appears to be pretty much the same filter as this "new" EG, whereas the "old" Subaru filter was basically an "old" EG.

Saw this video where someone cut open an PH7317 and it had metal end caps and ecore. Apparently they got it from Amazon, so I don’t think it should be counterfeit? Also no silicone ADBV, but I’ll take this instead since Hondas have filter under the engine.
I bought one from Amazon to check, will arrive tomorrow.

Have you purchased the PH7317 and confirmed it yourself and posted the C&P on the forum?

Makes sense they are consolidating the lines. Walmart supertech clone. They're going to churn these out and paint them different colors for different brands.

Looks like quite a bit less filtering material on the new ones and back to nitrile adbv.. so the older ones were probably better even with the fiber ends which I had never seen any issues with.

Hope they don't do the same reduction in filtering material with Tough and Ultra.

More pleats, probably due to the eCore center tube to keep pleat spacing tighter, but less total media area due to the pleats not being as deep.

1673382306900.png

Have you purchased the PH7317 and confirmed it yourself and posted the C&P on the forum?
I purchased one but did not get a new build date where this change happened. I got an old style. It was cheap though, only $3.5

^^^ I know repetitious but I'm going with the former, authentic First Brands Champ Labs made "Fram". Especially since they already exist under AAP "Drive" moniker. Just add sticker and Sure Grip dip/spray, same filter.

The latter too elaborate a ruse, to what point and/or goal, can't see it. That said, conspiracy theories are a more attractive answer.
Are Fram Drive and Extra Guard the same filter? Wonder why drive doesn’t have the 10k rating if that’s the case.

Are Fram Drive and Extra Guard the same filter? Wonder why drive doesn’t have the 10k rating if that’s the case.
The Fram Drive was originally a different filter, essentially just an orange painted Champ Labs jobber filter, while the Extra Guard had more efficient media, a silicone ADBV, and grippy paint on the domed end.

FB is still having “supply chain“ issues, for sure-Meijer had PH3600s & PH4967As with a collection of black nitrile, blue ST 20K, and purple RP ADBVs… I only bought the non-black ones!

Fram has updated the graphics online for both the PH and TG.

Be interesting to see if the Honda A02 follows suit.
If that happens, the Subaru -AA15A filter should get that update too? Though, if the dealer is now selling E-Cores, they might have been beta testing them.

I might send the Subaru “OE” E-core off to @53' Stude for a post-mortem but the car it’s on now is a garage queen.

The labeled "Fram" Drive is a 'made for' Advance Auto Parts (AAP) by First Brands-Champ Labs. It's likely similar to the Champ Labs made Super Tech ST series but 'afaik', all use the metal caps and separate dome bypass. They also have an orange color can use a sticker label. FB apparently chose to call the Drive with nitrile adbv good for 7500 mile fci, perhaps in coordination with AAP. The ST series is labeled good for 10k, MP with silicone 20K. Perhaps in coordination with WM. Beyond difference in adbv material, I don't think anyone has proven any other difference one way or the other between ST and MP.

So no, the Drive not the "same" as the original EG orange can with fiber end caps. But as noted a few times now, the Drive does appear to be much the same as the filters in question.

As for speculation about the Honda A02, IDK. But if the made for Subaru OE is now an ecore, as stated above, maybe the A02 will change too. It seems FB is making it difficult to keep up with changes, and whether permanent or temporary.

Either Fram has made a change, or Amazon has gotten a bunch of counterfeit filters

States 10,000 mile interval on the box of the ORIGINAL with silicone and NEW XG 7317 with nitrile . If nitrile , would balk a bit to use for 7,500+ interval .

^^^ The newer EG has a flatter surface on the dome end of the can, and the can size looks sightly different. Since the box claims the ADBV is silicone on the new one with a black ADBV, Whip City should have done a burn test to verify.

Last edited:
Back