Fram Extra Guard going to Metal End Caps?

New video showing the case. Looks like champion making the new Frams.

On an unrelated note - Subaru is pushing Champ E-cores at the dealer now, they look like a ACDelco sans label. Honda also uses Fram filters as OE. Could the Subaru switch to E-Core mean Fram Group/First Brands now consolidating the E-core design with Fram EG/TG?

Isn't Fram now run by "First Brands" ??.. First Brands also runs Champ Labs so this adds up.....
First Brands is the parent/(owner) of both Champ Labs and Fram. And Advance Auto sells a very similar Fram label filter (Drive) to the EG filters in question.

'It seems' based on some comments that some feel there has been some shenanigans somewhere with the Champ Labs made orange filters with the black material on the dome. Basically, that someone along the way added the grip material like Sure Grip to dome and put it in an Extra Guard box.

Guess it just depends on who one thinks is responsible. The filter seller/supplier or yt maker, or FB putting Sure Grip coating on a Drive filter and putting it in a Fram EG box. Personally, I 'lean' toward the latter. That with the previous use of nitrile adbv in some Fram specing silicone and the knowledge of subsequent CS responses.

Last edited:
The maker of the video is probably on here laughing.
So, I take it from that comment you're in the camp that says the yt maker concocted a ruse with the filters in question? And posted not one but two videos, about the filters. One, as follow up.

Imo, if the case, then seems pretty elaborate. I'm as cynical as anyone, but have trouble buying that here.

Last edited:
The rattle can over spray and the label are pretty suspect, have Extra Guards ever been sold with a label applied to them instead of it being printed directly on the can, I know Ultras were that way for a while, but I don't remember orange cans being that way.

If this is a design change (metal end caps with eCore center tube) to the Fram EG, then they should also be showing up at Walmart, etc. It does look pretty close the the Walmart SuperTech design, so could be Champ Labs is now cranking out Fram EGs for Fram ... who knows, the oil filter world is a very dynamic business.

New video showing the case. Looks like champion making the new Frams.

It's not uncommon for commercial products to go through design changes without changing the model/part number or even the UPC code on the retail box. If it was a military part, then there would be all kinds of part number changing due to strict configuration control tracking. In the consumer world, that kind of configuration control is thrown out the window.

Fram's website makes the exploded view look like the EG has shiny metal end caps ... but no nylon eCore center tube ... hummmm.

I think that's a coloring error on the rendering, because those are flat, they look the same on the Tough Guard rendering, and teh Ultra clearly shows they are a stamped piece of metal.

Fram's website makes the exploded view look like the EG has shiny metal end caps ... but no nylon eCore center tube ... hummmm.

Yeah this is new.. as previously they clearly had the fiber ends with a hex or similar shape. .. Now they are shiny metal finish

OilFilter_UL3.png

Yeah this is new.. as previously they clearly had the fiber ends with a hex or similar shape. .. Now they are shiny metal finish

OilFilter_UL3.png
That's what it looks like to me too. But the center core is not shown as the nylon eCore cage. Maybe it's all traditional at this time.

Different size in vid below but looks like this same Champ filter .... they should change all the new Frams to this so they have a better build LOL..

If they rate that ST for 20k … gives me confidence on running my UPF63’s to 7500 …
(don’t know if they are rated in miles) …

If they rate that ST for 20k … gives me confidence on running my UPF63’s to 7500 …
(don’t know if they are rated in miles) …
ST filters rated in miles.

1673140142246.jpg

If these filters are legitimate then they're produced at a different facility. Notice in the second video that the label is now a sticker and not a painted on label. This indicates that this was not from the typical production line that paints these filters for Fram.

If it is the wave of the future then I'm sure it's not the end of the world. I surely do hope that the filtering media is at least the same quality level as the standard Extra Guard. If it's just an orange WalMart filter then it's a bit overpriced.

Read what you said in post 33. You don't know if what is rated in miles? I'm assuming you meant ST filters, but you can clarify. Do ACDelco filters even have a mileage use rating?

Read what you said in post 33. You don't know if what is rated in miles? I'm assuming you meant ST filters, but you can clarify. Do ACDelco filters even have a mileage use rating?
Your assumption - Nothing unclear in what I wrote - the ST picture was already there - and have used that exact ST filter …
Forget about it …

Yeah this is new.. as previously they clearly had the fiber ends with a hex or similar shape. .. Now they are shiny metal finish....

EG filter pic removed, redundant.
I had not seen that pic of an EG or TG before. Of course, as noted, still different than ecore filters in the OP, cage/tube and adbv material.

All things considered including topic filters and site pics, 'maybe' the answer to the topic question is yes. Fram moving to metal caps on Orange Can EG and TG, 'if' it happens, NEVER thought I'd see that. Now, keep the spin on made in US and same efficiency ratings, that would be something. Almost too good to be true.

Last edited:
Back