Forum vote for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The never ending process....10yrs from now we will be testing 0w-5 oils. (I hope not)
grin.gif

NEO already makes 0W-5. They told me to use it in place of 5W-20 that they don't make! Anyone here want to be the first to try it? Not me.

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

quote:

The never ending process....10yrs from now we will be testing 0w-5 oils. (I hope not)
grin.gif

NEO already makes 0W-5. They told me to use it in place of 5W-20 that they don't make! Anyone here want to be the first to try it? Not me.

One of our new members on here uses that Neo 0w5 oil in his LS1 powered f-body. I'm not sure if he's going to do oil analysis on it though (he told me he doesn't believe in oil analysis for street driven cars)

I think bang for your buck would be Mobil1, you can get it at Wally world for about $4-5 depending where you live.

As for drain intervals, looks like AMSOIL packs a bit more and possibly will last a bit longer than M1.

It depends what you want to do. I change my oil every 5-7K, and I do use Amsoil, but I think I will change back to M1, just cost and convienance factor.

Redline, great additive package, but I'm not racing or have a performance engine. Just looking for decent protection. I could go back to dino oil, but I would have to change the oil every 3K or so.

quote:

I think bang for your buck would be Mobil1, you can get it at Wally world for about $4-5 depending where you live.

As for drain intervals, looks like AMSOIL packs a bit more and possibly will last a bit longer than M1.

It depends what you want to do. I change my oil every 5-7K, and I do use Amsoil, but I think I will change back to M1, just cost and convienance factor.

Redline, great additive package, but I'm not racing or have a performance engine. Just looking for decent protection. I could go back to dino oil, but I would have to change the oil every 3K or so.

Well said...I agree.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex D:
All of you have given me great information in regards to the best dino oil on the market and based on your comments I did many searches and erad up on the issue.

NOW - Please post your opinions for the best fully synthetic motor oil on the market,disregarding price:
Redline?
Amsoil?
Mobil 1?
Royal Purple?

(MolaKule) Price is not the issue. My question is in regards to overall performance, keeping wear down and resisting heat oxidation, while providing good cold start properties.

Thank you all for your help !!

In my 03 vette I use Amsoil 10w-30! I only drive it April through November here in Illinois and it is stored in a heated garage!

Have you posted any UOA's on the oil? Amsoil 10w-30 is a good choice for Vettes. I'd like to see some Vette comparisons between Amsoil and Mobil 1. Patman, have you seen any on the Vette forums anywhere?

quote:

Have you posted any UOA's on the oil? Amsoil 10w-30 is a good choice for Vettes. I'd like to see some Vette comparisons between Amsoil and Mobil 1. Patman, have you seen any on the Vette forums anywhere?

I don't visit the Vette forums, only the f-body LS1 forums. We do have at least one Corvette UOA on here using Amsoil, I believe it's with their 5w30 though.

quote:

Originally posted by tadaima:

A better deal was the 5 QT jugs. Too bad I can't find them anymore
frown.gif
-Joe

I think this is a great thread, BTW I am constantly sending people to this forum from BMW forums when they ask "which oil for me"!

To me, the "best oil regardless of price" would be the oil that gives the lowest wear numbers and the greatest margin of protection both on cold start and high temp, high load conditions. But the next guy may be more worried about sludge prevention, ability to start at super cold temps, etc.

I think it makes sense to say "regardless of price" since when I do the math anyway fuel and tire costs per mile are way more than oil costs, even if I use Redline, Amsoil, or whatever. And with almost any rebuild costing $1000, and the S14 BMW M3 engine rebuild costing $5000 or more, (not to mention busting my own knuckles or paying somebody else to bust theirs..) I don't think I am a nut to research what oil is going to protect it best, and then buy the best protection I can get regardless of cost!

I think engine longevity is where it's at for most of us.

Does the "generally lowest wear numbers" above work for most of the rest of you? When you put it like that, does the question have a general answer? Anybody seen a cheap dino oil beat Redline for wear numbers consistently?

Great stuff here, this is a great forum with a lot of good info and a low BS level!!

Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0W30/0W40 gets my vote. These two oils, both full synthetics, both available very inexpensively, both PAO-based, deliver excellent wear numbers, as well as fulfilling nearly every other requirement. Only engine to date that this oil clearly shouldn't be used in that I am aware of are the new VW TDI's.

Since it costs less than half of what GC, Amsoil, Redline cost, and 2/3rds of what M1 costs, its pretty much a no-brainer.

I agree with Pitzel,I am using the XD3 0-40
in diesel and XD3 0-30 in Altima, no more fearfull cold weather starts when I cant use the block heater, and the heat protection 12.1 @ 100C in 0-30 and 15.7 in 0-40. I am sold on these
100% POA syn oils.

Cyprs

I think that Mobil-1 offers the best comprimise of price and performance. With 0W20,0W30,0W40,5W30,5W40,5W50,10W30, and 15W50 they have you covered!! They also offer speciality products like M1R. I do not see how you could go wrong. Sure their are better oils out their but none of them give you the same value as M1!!

I dont choose, I pay profesionals like Terry D to choose for me. He chooses RL 5/20 for my F150 and RL 5/30 for my Toy Avalon. Both w/ LC and FP run 1oz per qt initial and 1 to 3 oz every 1k. I am currently on 2nd 10k run on the 150 and just sampled the Avalon at 10k. (Heads up Terry)

quote:

I think that Mobil-1 offers the best comprimise of price and performance.

I think so too. I'd add a few other good ones as well. I'm going to pick up some GC for the truck. It's too good to pass up.

Hmm, what's the "best" oil? It's one that

1. meets the required spes
2. that I can find easily without having to look near and far and in between to find
3. that doesn't break the bank

Subjective, non-scientific factors that go into choosing my personal "best" oil:

- how does the engine sound?
- how is oil consumption?
- how clean does the engine stay?
- how long does the oil stay clean?

Respect to all your views. I would have to say it depends on what part of the world you come from and what's available and at what price.

Here in Europe, the most popular would probably be Mobil 1 which is a decent oil but there are always better synthetics out there although perhaps not a widely available as M1.

I would have to say that in my experience, the following would have to be on the list if we are talking quality.

Silkolene PRO range
Motul 300V

Whilst Redline is avialable here as is Royal Purple they cost around £10 per quart (0.9 ltr) and although they are good oils (based on basic chemical analysis) they are in the main (due to UK import duty) just too expensive here.

Just my thoughts.

Cheers
Simon

oil is like pizza, you want it thick or thin or just right. the basic building blocks of great oil are M1 5/30 and 15/50. mix till you get it just right. for most folks its 70% 5/30 30% 15/50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back