Ford Wants Its Trucks to Repo Themselves if You Miss A Payment

LOL When I was selling cars we sold a lot of cars to people with bad credit, at loan shark rates which were legal. As soon as they knew they couldn't make the payments most of them would hide and/or trash the car. My bet, knowing the car could repo itself, they'd make sure the car was trashed to the point if being scrap iron.

I've got mixed feelings about this.

If someone isn't making payments on their car, it is only fair that the car gets repossessed, by those that own it. And considering how difficult that process can be, a system like this could be a great tool.

My worry is abuse of a system like this. If I outright own my car, I don't want anyone having the ability to take control of it, without my express consent. I would feel much better about a system like this, if it was a removable module, that could be pulled from the car when the car is lien free. The module could then be returned to the dealership, and even reused.

outright own my car
That is an obsolete concept. Everything is moving toward Thing-As-A-Service, meaning that even after paying off the initial purchase price, a customer must continue to pay the manufacturer a periodic license or subscription fee to use it.

I, too, agree that this is a mixed bag; both good and bad. I can see the benefits to Ford and to the repo companies. But I also believe a lot of vehicles will be damaged in retribution ("Gosh - I dunno, officer ... I came out this morning and the truck was burnt to a crisp ... Yes - it is odd that all the wheels are missing ..")

My concerns are more personal; what happens to ME if this system is present on MY car? If the shut-down feature is present in all future vehicles, there's always a potential mistake waiting to happen:
- if you never financed the vehicle thru Ford (paid cash), why would there be any reason for Ford to care? (they already got their money)
- if you financed the Ford vehicle, but not via FMC and thru a bank or CU; again - why would Ford care? (would they "help" the other financial institution and shut the vehicle down for them, and would they charge a fee for that "help"?)
- if your vehicle is paid off after financing it, but someone, somewhere, makes a VIN mistake or code error, your vehicle could be shut off for an invalid reason. Human error causes big problems at times. (Don't think this happens? Ask several of the Hertz customers who were arrested and jailed for driving a "stolen" vehicle even though they had legit evidence of current rental contracts in possession while operating the cars).

The more tech that creeps into vehicles, the more I'm glad my cars are "ol skool" and don't have all this junk on them. Once they bake this tech into the vehicle platforms, it's there forever. It may be dormant, but it lurks in the background and has the potential to always be a problem.

Last edited:
I, too, agree that this is a mixed bag; both good and bad. I can see the benefits to Ford and to the repo companies. But I also believe a lot of vehicles will be damaged in retribution ("Gosh - I dunno, officer ... I came out this morning and the truck was burnt to a crisp ... Yes - it is odd that all the wheels are missing ..")

My concerns are more personal; what happens to ME if this system is present on MY car? If the shut-down feature is present in all future vehicles, there's always a potential mistake waiting to happen:
- if you never financed the vehicle thru Ford (paid cash), why would there be any reason for Ford to care? (they already got their money)
- if you financed the Ford vehicle, but not via FMC and thru a bank or CU; again - why would Ford care? (would they "help" the other financial institution and shut the vehicle down for them, and would they charge a fee for that "help"?)
- if your vehicle is paid off after financing it, but someone, somewhere, makes a VIN mistake or code error, your vehicle could be shut off for an invalid reason. Human error causes big problems at times. (Don't think this happens? Ask several of the Hertz customers who were arrested and jailed for driving a "stolen" vehicle even though they had legit evidence of current rental contracts in possession while operating the cars).

The more tech that creeps into vehicles, the more I'm glad my cars are "ol skool" and don't have all this junk on them. Once they bake this tech into the vehicle platforms, it's there forever. It may be dormant, but it lurks in the background and has the potential to always be a problem.
For me it would be just another of many reasons not to buy a Ford.

LOL When I was selling cars we sold a lot of cars to people with bad credit, at loan shark rates which were legal. As soon as they knew they couldn't make the payments most of them would hide and/or trash the car. My bet, knowing the car could repo itself, they'd make sure the car was trashed to the point if being scrap iron.
People suck. What's the point of trashing the vehicle? YOU (not you, a theoretical buyer) couldn't live up to your end of the promise and so SOMEONE ELSE needs to be punished? If I couldn't pay my payment I'd actually feel bad and hand the vehicle back in pristine condition.

People suck. What's the point of trashing the vehicle? YOU (not you, a theoretical buyer) couldn't live up to your end of the promise and so SOMEONE ELSE needs to be punished? If I couldn't pay my payment I'd actually feel bad and hand the vehicle back in pristine condition.
I agree 100%. But I would often hear the conversation between BF and GF when they'd be waiting for the F&I manager to come back from the copy machine at delivery time. GF would say something like "you can't make those payments," the guy would say "I don't give a ****, by the time they find and repo this thing it won't be worth ****." Then they'd laugh. I heard it dozens of times. Don't get me started on the banks, this was around the time of the one of the housing bubble busts.................. lol

Cars with on star have had the ability to be locked or unlocked for years now, whats so special with what ford wants to do?. Is it only the people that don't want to live up to their obligation, that have an issue with it ?. Isn't it the car and truck buying public that insist on having more "High Tech features" in their cars or trucks?. Well now you have it. Sounds like a case of be careful what you ask for.,,,,

I don't think the idea of it is really so bad, but working in the tech field I can tell you that the more accessible your vehicle/device is to people from the outside the more potential issues you can have.

Gone are the days where car thieves were just the lazy druggies with a screw driver trying to break your ignition, there are organized crime rings with computers and software since the stakes on vehicles/parts are higher than ever. These guys/gals can watch youtube how-to videos just like everyone else.

Between this and the government mandates about potentially having shut-off switches in every new vehicle, I wouldn't want to be on the other side of a lawsuit when one of these things just happens to accidentally kill the vehicle at the wrong time. No tech is free of glitches.

There's a reason they have crap credit and can't afford a car payment...but banks will loan it anyway.

Back