Ford tractor 8N oil canister converted to TP filter

It was probably added to late. Or run without a TP media inside.
The car was almost new and extremely low mileage when it was added. I have all oil change records from the era and not one was over 2500 miles, most around 2000. It had some nasty TP media in it when I took it apart.

sdowney717

Nobody makes the filter? There are still zillions of those tractors around. My case takes a spin on. So far I have been able to order one. Maybe I should stock up on them?
That Ford cannister was designed for a Fram C3P type stacked plate filter.
C3 filter used pleats looked similar to any filter, C3P used stacked plates in tin can full of holes.
But several years ago, Fram decided to change from a 2 micron design with horizontal stacked cardboard plates to vertical pleats of 30 micron. You can no longer buy the bypass element the housing is designed for. The center tube of this cannister has a tiny hole, it is made for use as a bypass, not a full flow. I go one Ebay and found a seller that had 4 of the old style left, which I bought them all. My boat uses that kind of bypass element too, and a full flow also.

sdowney717

I would seriously avoid the tp oil filter. Last summer I bought a 64 galaxie that had a frantz tp oil filter installed since the 70s. When I tore the engine down for rebuild, which was all original and never touched it wasn't super dirty but the bearings were very worn out for the mileage and looked like they had a lot of debris go through them. The crankshaft even had a groove worn on the mains. I had oil change records for most of its life and it got 2000 to 2500 mile oil changes. Really doubt the TP filter did it any favors. I've torn apart much nastier and higher mileage fe engines that had better bearing using a spin in filter. I took that thing off immediately.
If that was the only filter on it, I completely agree. An engine should always have a full flow standard oil filter. My 1962 Buick had a spin on full flow oil filter. If an engine only has a bypass filter, what good is that! Unfiltered oil is circulating to the bearings etc...
If it had a full flow filter, then you can not blame the bypass filter for all that damage.
And oil from decades past was lousy compared to today's engine oil.

A bypass filter should only be an add on type filter to slowly clean oil, never the primary filter.
On my 1970 boat engines, ran into similar issue as you. Engine only had bypass filters from OEM design. Both engines needed new main bearings. And prior owner wore one out so bad entire engine was replaced. The engines are fresh water cooled, so rust was not the issue, it was wear from unfiltered oil.
It seems that 'back in the day', the need for full flow oil filtration was not considered essential even for cars. Those boat engines were marinized by Palmer from International Harvestor 392's which DID have full flow oil filtration from IH, but Palmer removed that and went with bypass only. I think they had the mistaken idea that since engines were in a boat, that no dirt is in the boat or air to get into an engine, so why is full flow filtration needed.

If that was the only filter on it, I completely agree. An engine should always have a full flow standard oil filter. My 1962 Buick had a spin on full flow oil filter. If an engine only has a bypass filter, what good is that! Unfiltered oil is circulating to the bearings etc...
If it had a full flow filter, then you can not blame the bypass filter for all that damage.
And oil from decades past was lousy compared to today's engine oil.

A bypass filter should only be an add on type filter to slowly clean oil, never the primary filter.
On my 1970 boat engines, ran into similar issue as you. Engine only had bypass filters from OEM design. Both engines needed new main bearings. And prior owner wore one out so bad entire engine was replaced. The engines are fresh water cooled, so rust was not the issue, it was wear from unfiltered oil.
It seems that 'back in the day', the need for full flow oil filtration was not considered essential even for cars. Those boat engines were marinized by Palmer from International Harvestor 392's which DID have full flow oil filtration from IH, but Palmer removed that and went with bypass only. I think they had the mistaken idea that since engines were in a boat, that no dirt is in the boat or air to get into an engine, so why is full flow filtration needed.
My case tractor only has a bypass filter

sdowney717

My case tractor only has a bypass filter
I have put one of these new Baldwin Vortex filters on in place of the standard full flow oil filter in my cummins Ram truck.
Note the cummins fleetguard venturi filter uses those stacked plates.