Ford tech on youtube

I just got a new Ecoboost Ranger. I plan on my usual 5k OCI with synthetic or Motorcraft Blend. Sales guy was kind of emphatic about keeping receipts for oil changes or having the dealer do them to ensure warranty coverage. I figure I'll take it to them every 10k and do the every 5k oil changes myself. Holds 6 quarts so Motorcraft Blend might be okay for a 5k OCI.

as always lots of variables like driving habits long or short trips BUT with many TANKS aka 4 door 4 WD costing over 50G shorter oil changes with a modern fake synthetic of decent viscosity is just smart. unless doing a lot of highway only 5 thou is prolly good as turbos REQUIRE quality CLEAN oil for long life. no DI but a 1.8T 2001 modified jetta i was doing a thousand miles weekly + changed at 10 thou using a REAL synthetic + it was running great at 200 tho at trade in for a retirement fun roadster a 2001 audi TT 25Q!!
I remember reading something about having problems with VW turbo motors burning up. It was a headache dealer had to deal with.

That guy's videos have been popping up in my recommended YT feed. Have watched a few and how he reaches some of his conclusions makes him come off a little on the wacky side in my opinion.

I expect FMC corporate to eventually lean on the dealership to shut him down from filming and using the dealership service bays for his content. They did the same thing to "FordTechMakuLoco" causing him to quit and go independent.

This "tech" posted a video right after the Ecoboost's came out and said how bad they were and were going to be for valve coking. I suspect he cost Ford a BUNCH of sales with it. It's a shame because, if you've spend any time at all on the F150 web sites you'll find that Ford does not have an issue with either Gen of Ecoboost engines. New buyers constantly sign on and wonder about when they'll need to have the valves cleaned because all turbo/di engines do it. I've yet to see an actual case where valve deposits were an issue with an F150 Ecoboost and I've been watching since I bought my new 2016 2.7 in early 2017. I know of one 2.7 that ran 465,000 miles before it was sold with a failing transmission. Pat's oil change interval was based on the OLM telling him to change it, or about every 10,000 miles. He used Motorcraft semi/syn....and didn't overthink it like most of us do.

I just got a new Ecoboost Ranger. I plan on my usual 5k OCI with synthetic or Motorcraft Blend. Sales guy was kind of emphatic about keeping receipts for oil changes or having the dealer do them to ensure warranty coverage. I figure I'll take it to them every 10k and do the every 5k oil changes myself. Holds 6 quarts so Motorcraft Blend might be okay for a 5k OCI.
I have a 2.3 Explorer and I am changing at 5,000 with full synthetic and not resetting the OLM. The OLM goes off about every 10,000 miles and I take it to the dealer then. That way, I am okay with Ford having oil change records per OLM, but giving myself peace of mind by 5,000 OCI's. By 5,000 miles, the oil really stinks of gasoline. No way I would run a GDI engine 10,000 miles, much less a TGDI. Easy to keep up with, 5,000, 10,000, 15,000, 20,000 and so forth and so on.

The FordBossMe guy is very bi=polar. Does great informative videos about half the time. The rest of the time, seems to be on something.
I would agree.

I got in an argument with him on an older video for saying that the Grand Marquis he was driving had 2.73 gears. He went off on me saying "Some people just say stuff not knowing what they're talking about".

It's a simple mathematical formula to determine the gearing of the car while it's cruising at 55. They all have the same tire size 26.7 since the 1998 redesign. We know that a 4R70W will lock up the torque converter fully by 55 MPH. It was cruising at 1400 RPM at 55. 1400 RPM with the converter locked up in a transmission with .7:1 overdrive and 2.73:1 gear ratio turning 26.7 tires comes out right around 1400 RPM.
If it was the 3.27 or 3.55 it would be over 1500 RPM.

Nope. He was going to keep on it so I stopped.

Funny, I got recommended that same video and watched it. He didn't say anything about the health of the engine or why it was being torn apart, just that it was sludged up and the pistons covered in carbon buildup. He did say that he had "shown us" the pistons though, so I went back through his videos and found the video in question where he had the thing torn down. There wasn't any evidence of the OCI, you just have to take his word for it. What he didn't mention in that first video, but did mention in this one, was that it was being torn down due to coolant intrusion (engine in question is the 1.5 ecoboost - known for coolant leaks due to bad design). I don't think you can draw any serious conclusions about suitable OCIs from an engine that is leaking coolant into the cylinders and into the oil.

He also calls out people for arguing with him, saying that they are just random internet strangers while he is a master technician for Ford and he sees these problems all the time. That you can't trust Blackstone Labs telling you that 7,500 mile OCIs are fine because he sees engines with OCIs less than that which are all sludged up. Well, that's a bit of a flawed argument. If that's all the criteria needed to assume that he must be right that all of these engines have problems and all OCIs exceeding 3k miles are bad, then the same must apply elsewhere. If a veterinarian says most animals are sick, then most animals must be sick (guess I should tell my two dogs to stop acting like everything's normal). Most toilets must be broken because plumbers see broken toilets all day every day. My elementary school principle probably thinks all kids are bad since I was sent to his office on what seemed to be a daily basis. It just doesn't work that way. Frankly, unless you have a Ford and have to watch/subscribe to all Ford technicians on YouTube, then his channel really isn't worth much of a watch, in my opinion. It looks like most of his videos were done on some other form of media, like Snapchat or TikTok, as they are around a minute in length. Not my cup of tea. Not only that, but there are plenty of really good and informative channels out there, like South Main Auto, that are worth watching/subscribing to.
I had a Fusion (company vehicle) with this exact issue. Coolant intrusion into cylinder 2. The FORD dealership had these lined up in the back of the building. ARI, our companies FLEET administrator, told me they have 2 or 3 a week. Fusion had 82K on it and FORD sent ARI a $7200 estimate to change out the short block. If I had bought that car with my money, FORD would have a lawsuit on it's hands. Just based on that, charging a customer for their known engine issues, to the original poster--- FORD IS JUNK

So, ARI issued me a 2021 Ford Escape with the same freaking engine. Supposedly, this one has the properly designed short block. We will see.....only 10K on it so far. BTW, FIVE recalls so far. 2 on the engine, 2 on the brakes, and one on the oil separator housing leaking and causing FIRES.

ok, I'm done now.

Last edited:
Urshurak,

In my area, you can pick your poison. Kia's and Hyundai's usually outlast their sheet metal around our neck of the woods, they become a victim of internal rot and eventually fail inspection. Due to poor metal and processes to keep internal salt brine out of the inside of structural memebers. Ford has has countless ecoboost issues but most are very specific to a certain engine. GM's end up going to auction due to electronic steering issues, electrical issues, and overalll electrical bugs that cant be fixed. All cars today are a dissappointment.

Now as for ecoboost piston sooting and stuck rings, i would guess the customer has some other element causing this failure. 5K is perfect for all engines.

Back