Ford tech on youtube

A ford tech on YouTube popped up in my thread and he had some genuine advice that goes against conventional wisdom here, He suggest going back to the old 3000 mile OCI for new cars with turbo and DI. He also claimed a car with only 21,000 was full carnish gunk and coked pistons when the customer had three oil changes (7000 mile oci) with dealer oil which i assume was motorcraft semi. from the valve cover photos iv seen here i find that hard to believe but he seemed like a genuine enough guy and had a point that he sees more different cars in a week than we see in a lifetime.

any thoughts on his observations and claims?

p.s. no ford is junk comments please. :).

Cars are expensive, I think as a general rule it is smart to be cautious about maintenance especially if you are relying on someone else to do it. As an example, when my father bought his 2013 Jeep GC brand new, it came with 4 or 5 free oil changes. This Jeep has an oil life monitor that goes ~10,000 miles between changes. The dealer insisted they were using synthetic oil when he asked them, but according to the invoice the part numbers they put down were conventional. Would it hurt anything for 4 or 5 changes? Probably not, but over the life of the vehicle depending on usage it could.

I have a hard time believing that an engine could get oil changes at OEM prescribed intervals and then fail to make it out of warranty. OEM's may be run by bean counters and trying to cut every penny, but it doesn't take many rebuilds in warranty to change their ways.

I'm not a fan of 3k OCI's. If I did that I'd have to resort to stickers on the windshield. 2,500 miles or 5k if I had to short change, if you ask me. Too easy to read the odometer for that frequency. Anyhow. 3k as a number sounds like someone resorting to the "it's new tech and it's scary--3k worked for my grandpa, it'll work for me too" method of choosing oil change interval. I get it, shorter changes seem indicated with DI, although many a turbo motor has been sold over the years.

I have a hard time believing that an engine could get oil changes at OEM prescribed intervals and then fail to make it out of warranty. OEM's may be run by bean counters and trying to cut every penny, but it doesn't take many rebuilds in warranty to change their ways.
If true it wasn't a problem with the oil but rather a mechanical or design defect. Or something else that isn't being disclosed.

There's a component to the story that's not being told, or is untrue.
A new Ford had varnish and coking at 21,000 miles, with a 7,000 mile OCI. If both of these items are true, than the component in question is the oil.
If good oil was used, then the 7,000 OCI is a lie.
If that's proven to be true, then 21,000 miles is a lie.
If everything is proven true, then the engine has an issue, and should be considered an isolated incident.

I'm a maintenance freak, but 5,000 mile OCI, using a good synthetic oil, is enough protection even for Ford's most troublesome Ecoboost engine.
3,000 miles is overkill and a waste of good oil. If you're using crap oil, then it's probably justified. But....isn't it actually harder to find crap oil than good oil these days?

Funny, I got recommended that same video and watched it. He didn't say anything about the health of the engine or why it was being torn apart, just that it was sludged up and the pistons covered in carbon buildup. He did say that he had "shown us" the pistons though, so I went back through his videos and found the video in question where he had the thing torn down. There wasn't any evidence of the OCI, you just have to take his word for it. What he didn't mention in that first video, but did mention in this one, was that it was being torn down due to coolant intrusion (engine in question is the 1.5 ecoboost - known for coolant leaks due to bad design). I don't think you can draw any serious conclusions about suitable OCIs from an engine that is leaking coolant into the cylinders and into the oil.

He also calls out people for arguing with him, saying that they are just random internet strangers while he is a master technician for Ford and he sees these problems all the time. That you can't trust Blackstone Labs telling you that 7,500 mile OCIs are fine because he sees engines with OCIs less than that which are all sludged up. Well, that's a bit of a flawed argument. If that's all the criteria needed to assume that he must be right that all of these engines have problems and all OCIs exceeding 3k miles are bad, then the same must apply elsewhere. If a veterinarian says most animals are sick, then most animals must be sick (guess I should tell my two dogs to stop acting like everything's normal). Most toilets must be broken because plumbers see broken toilets all day every day. My elementary school principle probably thinks all kids are bad since I was sent to his office on what seemed to be a daily basis. It just doesn't work that way. Frankly, unless you have a Ford and have to watch/subscribe to all Ford technicians on YouTube, then his channel really isn't worth much of a watch, in my opinion. It looks like most of his videos were done on some other form of media, like Snapchat or TikTok, as they are around a minute in length. Not my cup of tea. Not only that, but there are plenty of really good and informative channels out there, like South Main Auto, that are worth watching/subscribing to.

Like nearly all youtube channels of this type, there are things I take and use, and things I ignore... The advice to stick to a 3000 mile oil change is one of them...

As another example, Ford Tech Makuloco has lots of really helpful and useful information, but every now and then has advice that I don't agree with or ignore - and that's OK...

Most techs I personally know change their oil at 3,000 mile intervals (believe it or not). I'm one of the very few I know that "extends" his oil intervals out...and I only extend mine out to 5,000 miles. I guess when you work in the trade you see too many engine issues to chance anything. And 10-15 years ago we didn't see engine issues - they were pretty rare - the industry seemed to have finally figured things out....that has changed over the past 10 years.

I've only seen gunked-up engines in videos where people use conventional oil and don't change their oil. I have read something about certain engines that have this problem.

No link to this so many of us have no idea who this is.

Is he really a Ford tech?
No link was on purpose because I didn't want to funnel lots of traffic to him. He might be baiting the BITOG and Scotty Kilmer folks to all watch his videos by slamming their concepts.

I was just looking for a person on this forum that was maybe also a motor tech that has similar experience.

as always lots of variables like driving habits long or short trips BUT with many TANKS aka 4 door 4 WD costing over 50G shorter oil changes with a modern fake synthetic of decent viscosity is just smart. unless doing a lot of highway only 5 thou is prolly good as turbos REQUIRE quality CLEAN oil for long life. no DI but a 1.8T 2001 modified jetta i was doing a thousand miles weekly + changed at 10 thou using a REAL synthetic + it was running great at 200 tho at trade in for a retirement fun roadster a 2001 audi TT 25Q!!

I maintain 8 vehicles with vastly different drivetrains. Some old school pushrod V-8 (still EFI) / I-6 overhead cam / port injection / Direct injection / Turbo 4 cyl. Etc… All things being equal (which they never are) I have to agree with this youtuber. The oil drained from the direct injected engines turbo or not looks and smells like diluted horse p:$$. There is no way in H is it not being degraded by the fuel dilution and extra turbo heat. The OCI intervals for all the D.I. engines I maintain is around 4K miles and I’m sure 3k would be better. I've always felt direct injection was a step backward. Maybe the dual systems from Toyota and Ford being the exception.

A ford tech on YouTube popped up in my thread and he had some genuine advice that goes against conventional wisdom here, He suggest going back to the old 3000 mile OCI for new cars with turbo and DI. He also claimed a car with only 21,000 was full carnish gunk and coked pistons when the customer had three oil changes (7000 mile oci) with dealer oil which i assume was motorcraft semi. from the valve cover photos iv seen here i find that hard to believe but he seemed like a genuine enough guy and had a point that he sees more different cars in a week than we see in a lifetime.

any thoughts on his observations and claims?

p.s. no ford is junk comments please. :).
5000 mile Or 6 month is what I follow. I get the dealership oil and filters from a independent shop in my area since my dealer is still vet an hour away. I get it cheap enough from him that I can justify the cost of changing oil more frequent. Could I go 7000+ miles or one year? I’m sure I could. But for less then $100 a year for 2 oil changes you can’t really beat that. Oil is cheap engine work especially out of warranty is not.

Back