Ford PTU, rearend, transmission flush and change,

I had my wife’s Edge PTU fluid change done at a large dealer at about 30k. They were confused about what I wanted and it took the third person I talked to before they understood. Clearly not something frequently done. 😮
Tell 'em "transfer case"?

The rear diff holds a little over a quart. Your PTU only holds about 18 ounces or so. That’s part of the reason the fluid gets trashed so quickly; there’s so little of it. Even mine, which holds more, still only holds 24 ounces. Still way too little IMO.
The PTU holds a bit over a pint when new but you won’t get that out after use through the combo fill/drain hole. It gums up.

This pix was posted on the Flex site I mentioned, drained from PTU at around 23k miles. Trick is to do it often as a PM measure. The tool and fluid the guy used shown.

You really should check out the Flex site I mentioned when getting into the nittygritty of Flex ownership maintenance.
1698954071127.jpeg
1698954384392.jpeg

These PTU setups seem doomed from the start. Dad used to have a 2016 SHO with one and it was not reachable or serviceable. I believe it was here somebody had either and Explorer or SHO (formally the same platform) with the track package. Not sure how serviceable they were, but it had a cooler line. The guy did a UOA and Blackstone recommended 5-6k OCI’s with a xxw140 gear oil.

Dad traded his in with 60k and the factory fill.

The rear diff holds a little over a quart. Your PTU only holds about 18 ounces or so. That’s part of the reason the fluid gets trashed so quickly; there’s so little of it. Even mine, which holds more, still only holds 24 ounces. Still way too little IMO.
Is there any way to overfill it to add more? Just thinking here. If the design didn’t change and they just raised the fuller plug could that be done somehow?

The PTU holds a bit over a pint when new but you won’t get that out after use through the combo fill/drain hole. It gums up.

This pix was posted on the Flex site I mentioned, drained from PTU at around 23k miles. Trick is to do it often as a PM measure. The tool and fluid the guy used shown.

You really should check out the Flex site I mentioned when getting into the nittygritty of Flex ownership maintenance.
View attachment 186415View attachment 186416
Im going to just haven’t had time and forgot 😂. I read someone said you can refill from the top with a long piece of hose as well. Every heard that?

View attachment 186415View attachment 186416
Repost. Deleted lol

Back