2017 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5 Duratec PTU mods.

Have reviewed many posts on this site as well abroad and have come to some insight on possible ideas to help clarify a few things.
The PTU in the 2017 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5 Duratec has no water cooling. Currently the vehicle has 81,000 miles/130,000 kms. The fluid has been changed out partially 5 previous times, but was never successful in getting out all of the fluid. It would average around 430 ml. No leaks from the PTU.

Many on the forums state that the PTU only holds 17.9 fl oz (0.53L) or 530 ml. as well as in some owners manuals. The 2017 Ford Explorer owners manual published on April 2016 states the PTU's capacity is 23.7 fl oz (0.70L) or 700 ml. - see attached pictures. That is a difference of 32% more fluid. I am sure that would help with some more cooling and lubrication. As well, the capacity of 700 ml is the same for all three engine options. - 2.3 eco-boost, NA 3.5, and 3.5 eco-boost.

Also noticed that the Magnetic fill plug was not getting enough splash onto the plug and therefore not picking up any metal pieces etc.

This unit has the extended vent tube and I did the mod of extending the hose up to the top of the engine compartment. Secondly, I install a 1/2 20 self tapping oil drain plug on the bottom of the PTU - see picture.

Having drilled the case and capturing all the gear oil in the pan, I recovered about 520-530 ml. The fluid was flush with the fill plug. So next step was to install the drain plug, leave the fill plug out, and start filling the PTU through the vent tube. with the fill plug out it fills what turns out to be about 530 ml before it started to drain out of said fill hole.

After installing the fill plug and a little bit of further thought on the matter, I decided to put a further 170 ml into the PTU bring it up to 23.7 oz/700 ml.
Because the Fill plug is back in, it takes much longer to add the 170 ml. Time and patients or you can get the plunger and help matters along. Just take it easy when "forcing" the fluid in.

Your other option is after you drain the PTU to drive the passenger wheels on ramps. and see if you can add the extra 170 ml because the fluid would run to the drivers side an hopefully give you the extra room to add the 170 ml before it runs out of the fill hole.

Lastly and importantly, I read on this site (from metroplex) that as of June 2016, Ford changed the gears which reduced the side load of the idler gears from walking into the case. This of course would cause even more heat and friction and eventually burning it up quickly.

I am going to change out the fluid within 12,000 miles/20,000 kms to see how everything looks and post my findings. I am currently using Redline 80W140.

Cheers

Attachments

• 2017 Explorer PTU Capacity - 23.7 (700ml).JPG
    2017 Explorer PTU Capacity - 23.7 (700ml).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 101
  • PTU Capacity 18oz- .53 litres.jpg
    PTU Capacity 18oz- .53 litres.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 97
  • self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug.JPG
    self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 98
  • self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug near.JPG
    self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug near.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 96
  • DC45BCE5-1066-4A5D-A3F6-E488774C7003.jpg
    DC45BCE5-1066-4A5D-A3F6-E488774C7003.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Have reviewed many posts on this site as well abroad and have come to some insight on possible ideas to help clarify a few things.
Have a 2018 Edge awd with the 3.5 engine. Also been reading and watching youtube videos on the procedure. Seems like a real Rube Goldberg design. I think the manual calls for 30K mile gear lube replacement. I have 34K on the vehicle now. I have an oil extractor but the problem that one of the best Ford youtubes points out the suction tube may get hung up next to the idler gear and never reach down to where the oil is. Other than drill a drain plug what else would you recommend?

Find out what your owners manual gives for the PTU capacity. It looks like your capacity is 17.9 fl oz/0.53 Litre. With the vehicle level - remove the fill plug and see if its at the bottom of the fill hole, below or some draining out when plug removed. Next put the vehicle with the drivers side raised higher than the passenger side and pump out as much as you can. Note how much total fluid you were able to remove. Now fill with the new gear oil and note how much you are putting back in.

If you are not able to get enough fluid out, I would fill the PTU and further add fluid through the vent tube. You will have to be patient as it can be a slower process or you can raise the passenger side of the vehicle to add more fluid. Maybe add an extra 3-5 or so ounces through the vent tube. Drive the vehicle (not too fast - say around 25 mph) for a couple of miles so the new and old fluid mix together. Next, with the vehicle level remove the fill plug and let the excess fluid drain out. Reinstall the fill plug and you're good to go. Or you can do the procedure again to further increase the amount of overall new fluid giving you a more complete fluid replacement.

Make note how much "stuff" is on the magnetic fill/drain plug so you may compare when you change it out the next time!

The PTU in the 2017 Ford Explorer XLT 3.5 Duratec has no water cooling. Currently the vehicle has 81,000 miles/130,000 kms. The fluid has been changed out partially 5 previous times, but was never successful in getting out all of the fluid. It would average around 430 ml. No leaks from the PTU.

Many on the forums state that the PTU only holds 17.9 fl oz (0.53L) or 530 ml. as well as in some owners manuals. The 2017 Ford Explorer owners manual published on April 2016 states the PTU's capacity is 23.7 fl oz (0.70L) or 700 ml. - see attached pictures. That is a difference of 32% more fluid. I am sure that would help with some more cooling and lubrication. As well, the capacity of 700 ml is the same for all three engine options. - 2.3 eco-boost, NA 3.5, and 3.5 eco-boost.

Also noticed that the Magnetic fill plug was not getting enough splash onto the plug and therefore not picking up any metal pieces etc.

This unit has the extended vent tube and I did the mod of extending the hose up to the top of the engine compartment. Secondly, I install a 1/2 20 self tapping oil drain plug on the bottom of the PTU - see picture.

Having drilled the case and capturing all the gear oil in the pan, I recovered about 520-530 ml. The fluid was flush with the fill plug. So next step was to install the drain plug, leave the fill plug out, and start filling the PTU through the vent tube. with the fill plug out it fills what turns out to be about 530 ml before it started to drain out of said fill hole.

After installing the fill plug and a little bit of further thought on the matter, I decided to put a further 170 ml into the PTU bring it up to 23.7 oz/700 ml.
Because the Fill plug is back in, it takes much longer to add the 170 ml. Time and patients or you can get the plunger and help matters along. Just take it easy when "forcing" the fluid in.

Your other option is after you drain the PTU to drive the passenger wheels on ramps. and see if you can add the extra 170 ml because the fluid would run to the drivers side an hopefully give you the extra room to add the 170 ml before it runs out of the fill hole.

Lastly and importantly, I read on this site (from metroplex) that as of June 2016, Ford changed the gears which reduced the side load of the idler gears from walking into the case. This of course would cause even more heat and friction and eventually burning it up quickly.

I am going to change out the fluid within 12,000 miles/20,000 kms to see how everything looks and post my findings. I am currently using Redline 80W140.

Cheers
Kudos to your well researched post. I know you're doing more that 99.9% of the AWD Ford owners, you should sleep well.

Today was an Oil+Filter change, Transmission fluid part 2 swap out and PTU fluid change and followup day after about 2000 miles/3000 kms on the PTU fluid. The fill plug on the PTU was wet and had some metal adhering to the magnet. This is a change from the prior two times where the level was at the bottom of the fill plug - the fluid never washed over the magnet to collect the metal floating in the fluid.
Having added the drain plug I was able to drain 680 ml of fluid out the case with no fuss or muss or mess. Poured 500+ ml through the vent hose with the fill plug out, then threaded the the fill plug back in and poured the remaining 180 ml through the vent, but his takes a while to flow into the case. So total fill is ~ 700 ml.

Attachments

• self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug.JPG
    self tapping half inch - 20 thread oil plug.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230527_090801.jpg
    20230527_090801.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230527_094114.jpg
    20230527_094114.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20230527_100515.jpg
    20230527_100515.jpg