Ford PTU, rearend, transmission flush and change,

Just bought the wife a 2016 flex AWD with 100k on it. To my knowledge the PTU has never been serviced. I was recently told that these cars cook the oil and create sludge inside. I was wanting to change it but do some kind of flush as well if it’s a good idea.

Thought process is this. Drain it, refill with valvoline 75w-140 synthetic since it’s significantly cheaper. Run it a week or so, drain again, week or so then drain it once more and run it with either valvoline 75w140 or switch to amsoil severe 75w140 and run it normal intervals.

Or would just draining and refilling be sufficient? Then next drain at 25-30k?

Also can I use the same gear oil in the rear end? What about servicing the automatic transmission

Attachments

• IMG_6815.jpeg
    IMG_6815.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6816.jpeg
    IMG_6816.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 5
Just bought the wife a 2016 flex AWD with 100k on it. To my knowledge the PTU has never been serviced. I was recently told that these cars cook the oil and create sludge inside. I was wanting to change it but do some kind of flush as well if it’s a good idea.

Thought process is this. Drain it, refill with valvoline 75w-140 synthetic since it’s significantly cheaper. Run it a week or so, drain again, week or so then drain it once more and run it with either valvoline 75w140 or switch to amsoil severe 75w140 and run it normal intervals.

Also can I use the same gear oil in the rear end? What about servicing the automatic transmission
I have an Explorer 2016 AWD. My PTU is different because I have the 4 cylinder, which means I have a drain plug and a higher capacity for some reason… you have to suck the fluid out the vent port on top, but the process for the rear diff and the trans is the same. The transmission has a drain plug, and your transmission actually has a dipstick too. The rear diff has to be sucked out thru the fill hole. Not too hard, although you’ll certainly drip fluid on the exhaust which will smell awful for a couple days 🙂 You mentioned using 75w140 for the rear diff, but the spec is 80w90. I use 75w90 synthetic and call it a day. Way easier to find and better in the cold.

For the transmission, Mercon LV is the spec. You can get genuine LV at Rockauto for cheap. But Pennzoil and Castrol both make a licensed fluid. Your local Home Depot will likely have the Pennzoil in stock, which is slightly cheaper than Castrol. You should need less than 5 quarts, probably around 4.5.

I have a 2018 Edge 3.5 awd. Had mine changed at the local Ford dealer using Motorcraft 75W-140 around 38K miles just so in the event the PTU granades, as some have done, they have a record of my proactive service. I have used Valvoline and Amsoil gear lube on my other awd vehicles and both are excellent lubes. Valvoline is easier to source and cheaper but just as good as the Amsoil. If yours has 100K on the clock w/o a change you are way overdue.

For the PTU, I would do a few short drains. Maybe 5K in between them. Give the new fluid time to get in there and stirred around well. Not going to hurt anything more than it already has if it has never been changed.

I own a 2014 Flex. You should check out www.fordflex.net for lots of Flex specific advice. There are many threads on PTU’s on that site. I can’t help on this specific topic, I specifically purchased mine as a FWD and non turbo to eliminate this and turbo issues entirely.

You should download the FordPass application. It allows an owner to see the service records done on Ford vehicles at Ford service centers. I bough my Flex used and via the FordPass app I can see all the Ford dealer service records from the day the car was new.

Two of my local Ford dealers never heard of a PTU fluid change. So weird that everyone else has.
From the manual:

Axle and PTU maintenance: The Power Transfer Unit (PTU) and rear axle (AWD only) in your vehicle does not require any normal scheduled maintenance. The PTU lubricant will be more likely to require a fluid change if the vehicle has extended periods of extreme or severe duty cycle driving. Changing or checking the PTU lubricant is not necessary unless the unit has been submerged in water or shows signs of leakage. Contact your authorized dealer for service.

I'm not suggesting the above is a good recommendation, but it would explain the dealers' lack of familiarity with the PTU fluid change.

I have an Explorer 2016 AWD. My PTU is different because I have the 4 cylinder, which means I have a drain plug and a higher capacity for some reason… you have to suck the fluid out the vent port on top, but the process for the rear diff and the trans is the same. The transmission has a drain plug, and your transmission actually has a dipstick too. The rear diff has to be sucked out thru the fill hole. Not too hard, although you’ll certainly drip fluid on the exhaust which will smell awful for a couple days 🙂 You mentioned using 75w140 for the rear diff, but the spec is 80w90. I use 75w90 synthetic and call it a day. Way easier to find and better in the cold.

For the transmission, Mercon LV is the spec. You can get genuine LV at Rockauto for cheap. But Pennzoil and Castrol both make a licensed fluid. Your local Home Depot will likely have the Pennzoil in stock, which is slightly cheaper than Castrol. You should need less than 5 quarts, probably around 4.5.
I believe mine has a drain plug in it. They started putting drain plugs in after 2013 and hers is a 2016.

Did you do a filter change on the transmission or just fluid?

I have a 2018 Edge 3.5 awd. Had mine changed at the local Ford dealer using Motorcraft 75W-140 around 38K miles just so in the event the PTU granades, as some have done, they have a record of my proactive service. I have used Valvoline and Amsoil gear lube on my other awd vehicles and both are excellent lubes. Valvoline is easier to source and cheaper but just as good as the Amsoil. If yours has 100K on the clock w/o a change you are way overdue.
Yes we just bought it at 98k miles and the previous owner never serviced it that he could recall. I want to change this and the antifreeze in it.

I own a 2014 Flex. You should check out www.fordflex.net for lots of Flex specific advice. There are many threads on PTU’s on that site. I can’t help on this specific topic, I specifically purchased mine as a FWD and non turbo to eliminate this and turbo issues entirely.

You should download the FordPass application. It allows an owner to see the service records done on Ford vehicles at Ford service centers. I bough my Flex used and via the FordPass app I can see all the Ford dealer service records from the day the car was new.
I specifically wanted AWD since I feel it gives more stability for my wife to putt around in. I did originally want a TT car but don’t wanna deal with turbo maintenance also.

I’ll check into the ford pass app also. Thank you.

Amsoil is a really good gear oil. You can find my thread on 75w90s to see how it compares to Mobil 1, Redline, Motul, and HPL CC gear oils if you want. More coming soon, including Valvoline!
Getting it locally is the difficult part. Everyone has to order it. I can do so but in the meantime I need to get something pack in it.

Two of my local Ford dealers never heard of a PTU fluid change. So weird that everyone else has.
I had my wife’s Edge PTU fluid change done at a large dealer at about 30k. They were confused about what I wanted and it took the third person I talked to before they understood. Clearly not something frequently done. 😮

Got any pics of the new ride? I've always admired the design of the Flex. Sort of looks a bit like a Range Rover.
Really the only one I got. It’s an SEL one family car, I changed the 2nd row to captains chairs and added a console and I’m going to have the paint buffed and wheels powder coated again. It was the roomiest crossover/suv that I could find that wasn’t absolutely enormous with a v8 in it. The wife hated it but I think she’s come around 😂 she said today and I quote “ya did alright babe” 😂

I’m just trying to catch all the maintenance up. I got the oil and all the filters done. I’m onto fluids and spark plugs next.

Attachments

• IMG_6579.jpeg
    IMG_6579.jpeg
    543.1 KB · Views: 13
We changed the PTU fluid in the Ford Escape at 69,000 miles and it was dirty and full of sludge. We used Royal Purple 75w140 for the replacement fluid. The vehicle currently has 82,230 as of today so likely will change the PTU again next Spring - Summer.

Either way, you changing it will be waaay more helpful for you because you know that it needs to be done! Most people have no clue about this maintenance.

The transmission fluid, I did 4-drain and refills as there's no way to access the filter.

Back