Anyone else have a problem with Castrol Transmax Dex VI Mercon LV?

A few weeks ago I sucked out the ATF pan through the dipstick tube and refilled with the above fluid. Almost instantly it started shifting weird, delayed shift like excess slipping. Going from P or N to drive is also delayed then it clunks into gear. Fluid level is right where it should be. I plan on pulling the pan and replacing the filter this next week and will be refilling it with a different fluid then flushing it with the new fluid. 2016 Silverado, 6 speed auto.

I have it in the Buick, Caprice and Malibu. No issues. All three actually have different flavors of Dex VI. The Malibu has the Castrol in it right now. How many miles on the truck?

I've had it in my old BMW since around 2018 I believe with no issues. It's due to be changed this summer and I am going back to Dexron-III but only because I want to and not because I've had any issues with the Castrol or the Dex-VI spec.

Last edited:
That Castrol is licensed Dexron VI, isn't it? :eek:

I don't think you caused damage by using the correct amount of a licensed Dexron VI :unsure:

The dipstick tube isn't a good way to change the fluid. Get an aftermarket pan that has a drain plug. This will make future ATF changes MUCH easier :D

However, I recommend buying an OEM gasket for the pan. While aftermarket transmission pans often include a gasket, it is usually one of low quality.

I generally say to avoid universal multi-make transmission fluids, but then, I used it in my Mercedes S550 because it takes a lot of fluid and it was the cheapest that says it's compatible with the Mercedes spec. The only shifting issue it has I can't really attribute to the fluid itself and seems fine otherwise.

Then you have a mechanical problem.
Nope! Last week I drained and flushed the ATF and changed the filter. Very little material in the pan and magnet. I installed a CarQuest filter (told it was a Baldwin) and used Triax Global Synthetic ATF. It now shifts perfectly, I think even better than before I had put in the Castrol fluid. This weekend I will be removing the thermostat and installing a STL010 Sure Cool thermostat eliminator. All is well again.

Nope! Last week I drained and flushed the ATF and changed the filter. Very little material in the pan and magnet. I installed a CarQuest filter (told it was a Baldwin) and used Triax Global Synthetic ATF. It now shifts perfectly, I think even better than before I had put in the Castrol fluid. This weekend I will be removing the thermostat and installing a STL010 Sure Cool thermostat eliminator. All is well again.
That Triax is really something.

Back