Lubeguard Platinum on a Ford 6R80, could not have hoped for better results.

Lubeguard Platinum is the most amazing additive I have ever used in any mechanical thing. This stuff is like a transmission rebuild in a bottle!

My transmission was previously acting like it was getting close to end of life. Had a lot of hard downshifts and some clunking and so forth. Did a drain and fill with Maxlife MV and 15 ounces of Lubeguard Platinum, capacity is 13.5 quarts but I figured an extra 1.5 ounces would not hurt. The recommended application from Lubeguard for this vehicle was to combine with a full synthetic ATF at 1 ounce per quart.

After completing the job, the effects weren't immediately apparent but the more I have driven since then, the more it smooths out the downshifts. Upshifts are still rapid and firm but not at all harsh, exactly how it should be. I did this about a month and a half ago and after two weeks I think it's only clunked on downshift once in the last 4 weeks or so.

Previous fluid was OEM Mercon LV.

I've tried to think of a reason this could be a placebo effect, but I can't find any. The transmission was full previously and the fluid only had about 18K on it. The fluid that was removed came out just as red as the fluid that was put into it, so it's not like it got better because the fluid was burnt.

At any rate I am super happy.

I have had the 6R80 in two trucks since 2011 (2009 F150 and 2016 F150). I had such hard downshifts and clunking into 2nd gear on the 2009 I ended up getting a tune from 5Star tuning to help it out. The engine performance didn't change much, but the transmission tuning was lightyears better with the 5star tune. The 2016's factory tune is actually quite good and didn't need any help. I keep the fluid fresh in those transmissions and have added a bit of LG red over the years. Why did you go with LG platinum? I was under the impression Red was to be used with that age of LV based transmissions.

Some additives work wonders. I hope you get long lasting results. Keep in mind, sound transmissions shouldn't need an additive to work properly.
ATF has additives in there. You probably meant to say sound transmissions shouldn't need an additional additive to work properly.

Yes the Platinum is amazing stuff. I've used it in so many vehicles for well over 100,000 miles cumulatively and it's been great. My old 2010 f150 with the 6r80 dramatically improved with the addition of the platinum.

As for why Platinum versus red? In my opinion I've found the Platinum to work just a little bit better and lubegard gives their blessing to use it universally.

ATF has additives in there. You probably meant to say sound transmissions shouldn't need an additional additive to work properly.
Lubeguard has additives in concentration to specifically deal with certain issues which the ATF itself doesn't address..

Last edited:
What's the odo say? How does it shift?
The 2010 Navigator in my signature has 152K and change. It always upshifted good, just the downshifts were getting to be harsh and noisy.
Why did you go with LG platinum? I was under the impression Red was to be used with that age of LV based transmissions.
That is what the LG chart recommended for someone interested in "Option 2" that being, using a non-OEM full synthetic fluid.

I put 14oz of LG Platinum in an A750F in a 2010 Tacoma with about 50k miles on it and it made a noticeable difference in shift quality. Upshifts feel quicker and firmer (more of a positive feel) than before. It has always shifted good but now it feels even better.

It just keeps getting better. The torque converter had not locked up in a while, for close to a year, and I figured that it was done and that I would just run it until it was really broke. Well now it's locking up the converter again, which gets me about 1mpg improvement in town and 2mpg on the highway. It did take a month after I put the Lubeguard in for it to start locking up again.

...or it could be a short that's making contact again and all this is a placebo. Lol. Sure seems like it was the Lubeguard, but I don't really know how to control for the other theory.

used lubegard red in my car that some shudder at torque converter lockup (which might be the shot transmission mount) and while the shudder didn't change, all the other shifts became firmer and smoother

I’m not discounting any peoples’ experience with Platinum, but I’m confused as to why Platinum is the one Lubegard that MolaKule was on record saying it should not be used in any case because of the friction modifiers.

I used Red and don’t have any concerns about it. I’m happy you guys have had good luck with Platinum.

The main question is: How does ILI LubeGard know what friction modifiers are in your ATF and if the Friction modifiers in the Platinum are compatible with those in your ATF?

my guess is they either test all the transmission fluids, or lubegard has a small dose of a random friction modifier and they hope it's compatible with your ATF type.

Back