Adding Lubegard Red to a BMW

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience adding Lubegard to German Cars? Any positives that came out of it. I'm debating whether I should add it to my 6HP26 Transmission, to extend its life, and hopefully get rid of some 2-1 downshift clunk that is notorious in the transmissions.

The car currently has 150K Miles, so I'm weary about doing a drain and fill until later (probably a few months after adding Lubegard)

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience adding Lubegard to German Cars? Any positives that came out of it. I'm debating whether I should add it to my 6HP26 Transmission, to extend its life, and hopefully get rid of some 2-1 downshift clunk that is notorious in the transmissions.

The car currently has 150K Miles, so I'm weary about doing a drain and fill until later (probably a few months after adding Lubegard)
I would consult with Lubeguard to determine whether Red is suitable for your BMW. Red is a protectant and likely will not solve any mechanical issues your transmission may have.

Hi,

Have you had any fluid changes during this interval?

Fresh fluid using about 3 drain-and-fills often improves shifting.

There is no such thing as a rebuild or a mechanic in a bottle.

Last edited:
Hi,

I used it in an audi a4.
It did a great job cleaning things up and improving slopy shifting.

I use it in almost everything we have owned for almost 20 years now.

It's been amazing in our 15 odyssey.
Really keeps the summer road trips atf temps down.

I don't have experience directly with German cars, but shouldn't be an issue at all. LG is great stuff.
Ditto.

PS: I've used LG Red in many A/T's although none were in German cars. LG Red is advertised predominately as a product that keeps transmissions cooler (because heat is the #1 killer of AT's). I have no reason to doubt this claim because I've never had any AT issues after using it. Whether or not LG Red can help with mechanical issues....IDK.....but I've had guys more knowledgeable than I tell me it helped with shifting issues...and if that's true it's an added benefit.

Last edited:
I would consult with Lubeguard to determine whether Red is suitable for your BMW. Red is a protectant and likely will not solve any mechanical issues your transmission may have.
Yeah, my car runs fine when the weather isn’t too cold, but when it gets sub zero, I start to feel some clunking sometimes,

it leads me to believe that it could be the fluid acting up since it hasn’t been changed because of BMWs “lifetime fluid” claims.
So I want to start with Lubegard red and run it for a bit before doing a drain and fill.

hamy,

I believe you have that reversed, in that with 150k miles on the fluid, it’s the fluid that needs to be replaced, not “boosted” by Lubegard Red.

Seriously! You expressed being weary (sic) about replacing what is obviously worn out fluid but that’s the first thing I’d do to help your tranny.

LG Red has its place but reviving the dead isn’t listed on the label.

hamy,

I believe you have that reversed, in that with 150k miles on the fluid, it’s the fluid that needs to be replaced, not “boosted” by Lubegard Red.

Seriously! You expressed being weary (sic) about replacing what is obviously worn out fluid but that’s the first thing I’d do to help your tranny.

LG Red has its place but reviving the dead isn’t listed on the label.
I was planning on it, but I don’t want to cause it to start slipping (since it’s high mileage). My plan was to use the Red, so it’s detergents clean up a bit, then do a phased drain and fill (I.e drain 2 litres first time, wait a few months, then 4 liters, then eventually a full drain and fill).
Just to be on the safe side.

I might be totally wrong, but I don’t want the transmission to crap out on me. Hence, why I want to start with the red.

Hamy,
Have you watched any of Nathan's videos?
He says he's changed the fluid on something like 50+ personal BMWs, not mention many, many customer cars. They have been in all manner of condition and he claims all of them have benefited from the fluid changes. He's a fan of good old Valvoline Maxlife Multi-vehicle.

Hamy,
Have you watched any of Nathan's videos?
He says he's changed the fluid on something like 50+ personal BMWs, not mention many, many customer cars. They have been in all manner of condition and he claims all of them have benefited from the fluid changes. He's a fan of good old Valvoline Maxlife Multi-vehicle.

I've used MaxLife ATF in quite a few BMWs including my own, works well and improved the shifting.

I was planning on it, but I don’t want to cause it to start slipping (since it’s high mileage). My plan was to use the Red, so it’s detergents clean up a bit, then do a phased drain and fill (I.e drain 2 litres first time, wait a few months, then 4 liters, then eventually a full drain and fill).

I might be totally wrong, but I don’t want the transmission to crap out on me. Hence, why I want to start with the red.

From what I understand and some conversations with LubeGard techs, it’s not any level of detergents in it that do what you are thinking it will do. It mainly has friction modifiers in an ester base. It’s the ester that has long-term (not short) cleaning properties. Also, make sure it’s not a transmission mount or torque arm that is contributing to the harsh shift. That is common in some vehicles (I do not know specifically about yours). Deposits and wear in valve bodies also can cause this; the bimmer forum probably has some detailed knowledge on this worth investigating. Sometimes a chemical clean can in fact fix it if it is mild varnishing; sometimes it’s genuine wear and needs repair (sonnax kit, etc.). Putting LubeGard in short-term is fairly pointless.

I have been in your position quite a few times. I do this to start on a higher mileage transmission:

- Inspect all engine/transmission mounts and braces (upper torque struts/arms included)
- Add a cleaning solvent very short-term. SeaFoam or B-12. Drive a day or two, maybe a little longer with that.
- Swap fluid out for a clean fill, via the cooler line using the internal pump.

I will usually add Lubegard red on an Aisin or GM transmission but the only ZF I have is manual, so no experience with ZF at’s (truth be told, I have always tried to avoid them). It would probably be a good idea, or use an ATF with ester base (pricey).

Numerous people changed fluid that had well over 200k. Do not flush, just do drain and fill 2-3 times with ZF6. There are other fluids that are OK to use. Most popular among BMW drivers would be Valvoline MaxLife, Redline D6, Amsoil and Motul ATF VI.

Yeah, my car runs fine when the weather isn’t too cold, but when it gets sub zero, I start to feel some clunking sometimes,

it leads me to believe that it could be the fluid acting up since it hasn’t been changed because of BMWs “lifetime fluid” claims.
So I want to start with Lubegard red and run it for a bit before doing a drain and fill.
"Morning sickeness".

Sounds like old seals internally ( valve body, clutches etc.) have hardened due to age , do not do their job well when cold , soften up sufficiently as they warm up and begin to function. You don't have much to lose with a fluid change along with an additive specifically intended for the purpose.

FWIW, there is a well respected local transmission shop that I have been doing business with for over 40 years that uses Lubegard Red in every transmission they rebuild. They also sell it over the counter in their lobby. I asked the owner about it many years ago and he told me that it reduced his complaints/comebacks by over 95% and he strongly recommended it. After that I began using it and have not had a single transmission failure since, even on the Ford truck I owned that had two transmissions fail under warranty before I started using it.
ZF used to sell an additive called LifeGuardFluid1 that was recommended in several service bulletins for shudder problems. It has been said that this was repackaged Lubegard Red. Lubegard says on their website that their products are used by several OEMs.

Hi,

ZF reccomends replacing that fluid at 60-80k
Not sure where the Germans think it's lifetime.

I changed our audi fluid to maxlife at 160k.
No negative issues.

Do at least 2 drain and fills then add the LG.

Back