Lubegard Red - Experiences?

I've seen some very positive posts regarding Lubegard products.

I'm thinking of using Lubegard Red in my RX330 and LS430 transmissions.

The RX330 randomly has a harsh 2-3 shift, mostly when warm.

The LS430 shifts well (sometimes shifts down and back up when it shouldn't - but that could be an ECU issue) but otherwise 'vibrates' slightly in Drive when stationary (but not in neutral or park, leading me to think this is indeed 'torque converter shudder')

Any harm in throwing some Lubegard red in both of these transmissions on the next spill and fill? Both are currently full of clean Toyota Type T-IV with fresh transmission filters. (Thinking one full bottle for each vehicle, but any opinions on dosage are appreciated)

Mainly looking for a durability boost - fixing the abovementioned problems would be a nice bonus!

We had a '06 Saab 95 Aero with an Aisin AW55-50 gearbox. I noticed after we bought it that it had a slight flare on 2-3 shifts. I changed the oil and was slightly disappointed when the old oil came out clean. So I added a bottle of Seafoam Hydratrans which made an actual improvement to the situation. I left it in there for ~1000miles hoping it would clean something out and then did 4x drain & fills in quick succession with a short drive in between but the flare came back. So I added a bottle of Lubegaurd Red and it fixed the flare issue and generally smoothed out the shifts no end.

Its the best stuff to cure harsh shifts and shift flares.....,

I have used it in dozens of cars - - reduced atf operating temps and improved shifting - - - - Its great stuff.
Honda-Toyota - Mazda - Nissan - Hyundai - Audi - In every one LG red did great.

Use it with confidence.

I've seen some very positive posts regarding Lubegard products.

I'm thinking of using Lubegard Red in my RX330 and LS430 transmissions.

The RX330 randomly has a harsh 2-3 shift, mostly when warm.

The LS430 shifts well (sometimes shifts down and back up when it shouldn't - but that could be an ECU issue) but otherwise 'vibrates' slightly in Drive when stationary (but not in neutral or park, leading me to think this is indeed 'torque converter shudder')

Any harm in throwing some Lubegard red in both of these transmissions on the next spill and fill? Both are currently full of clean Toyota Type T-IV with fresh transmission filters. (Thinking one full bottle for each vehicle, but any opinions on dosage are appreciated)

Mainly looking for a durability boost - fixing the abovementioned problems would be a nice bonus!
Use a good high-quality Multi Vehicle ATF and don't monkey around with additives. It is important to do a complete ATF replacement if you change brand or formulation. If you do that, it is also important to reset the adaptive values and trigger a re-learn and follow the steps outlined by the computer.

You can use one of these devices to do that:

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ4L25CZ

1686923227174.png

It's $100+tax on Amazon (after $50 off coupon, click on it). After you get it, hook it up to WiFi, update everything from Settings, and purchase the package for your Vehicle Manufacturer, it's $60. Well worth the money. You will have bi-directional access to every module in your vehicle.

That's the right way to do it. Now, if you want to waste time and money playing with additives, that's up to you.

I tried Lubegard Red in our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. It softened the shifts a tiny bit when mixed with Red Line D6. I use 20 oz of it. I didn't do anything of substance. In the end, what improved my shifting tremendously and fixed my 1-2 shifting issue was to switch to Mobil 1 LV ATF HP and reset the transmission computer. Now my transmission is shifting flawless, better than when it was new.

Use a good high-quality Multi Vehicle ATF and don't monkey around with additives. It is important to do a complete ATF replacement if you change brand or formulation. If you do that, it is also important to reset the adaptive values and trigger a re-learn and follow the steps outlined by the computer.

View attachment 161520

It's $100+tax on Amazon (after $50 off coupon, click on it). After you get it, hook it up to WiFi, update everything from Settings, and purchase the package for your Vehicle Manufacturer, it's $60. Well worth the money. You will have bi-directional access to every module in your vehicle.

That's the right way to do it. Now, if you want to waste time and money playing with additives, that's up to you.

I tried Lubegard Red in our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. It softened the shifts a tiny bit when mixed with Red Line D6. I use 20 oz of it. I didn't do anything of substance. In the end, what improved my shifting tremendously and fixed my 1-2 shifting issue was to switch to Mobil 1 LV ATF HP and reset the transmission computer. Now my transmission is shifting flawless, better than when it was new.
Good info.
Is this tool works for OP's car? Those cars are models before 2006 ?

Lubegard Red eliminated a trace of shuddering and smoothed the shifts in the 5R55E transmission in my 2011 Ranger with the SOHC 4.0. I had just had the fluid changed using a standard BG–type machine at a local shop. Undoubtedly the ATF had not been changed before I bought the truck at 101,000 miles. The transmission seems pretty strong (knock on wood).

View attachment 161520

You put more than double the amount of LG necessary for that transmission.
MORE of something is not necessarily a good thing.

You put more than double the amount of LG necessary for that transmission.
MORE of something is not necessarily a good thing.
I didn't do it all at once. I also talked to Pat Burrow at Lubegard, and did so with his blessing. Lubegard has its uses, like in @ekrampitzjr's case, but it won't do anything for brand new ATF. It's basically a refresh for old & tired DI package in the ATF. That's the simplest way I can describe it. It's not snake oil, but not useful either, especially when it comes to the latest ATFs that came out during the past few years. Just use good ATF and skip Lubegard.

Good info.
Is this tool works for OP's car? Those cars are models before 2006 ?
Yes, it will. However, he has to buy the vehicle manufacturer package after getting the device. Each manufacturer is a one time fee of $60, with free updates for life. I got lucky, since I had to buy one for Hyundai (3 vehicles in my extended family), and one for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, which also covers RAM, so that's another 3 vehicles we have. Honestly, it's an awesome deal, if you are willing to learn how to use it.

one for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep, which also covers RAM, so that's another 3 vehicles we have. Honestly, it's an awesome deal, if you are willing to learn how to use it.
For FCA vehicles before Secure Gateway was introduced, maybe.

OP: Vibration in drive is normal. May be due to slightly worn engine mounts, but chasing that can be a rabbit hole if the vibration is minimal.

It works with FCA's Secure Gateway. There is a module that I installed just for that, when I updated the device.
So you also maintain an active Auto Auth subscription? Because that's how most of the legitimate brands do it - I have one for my scan tools.

So you also maintain an active Auto Auth subscription? Because that's how most of the legitimate brands do it - I have one for my scan tools.
The AutoAuth.com subscription is required for their professional line of scanners, which they sell under the Thinkcar brand. The Mucar tools are for DYIers and they are structured differently.

What kind of scan tool do you have? Make and model?

OP: Vibration in drive is normal. May be due to slightly worn engine mounts, but chasing that can be a rabbit hole if the vibration is minimal.

Agreed also on this. FWIW, I had an ES300 that had an annoying vibration. Ended up being the transmission mount.

The LG should help r/o shudder though

Lubeguard Red will add a "durability" boost as you put it because it is marketed as a protectant. I doubt its use will fix your shift problem when warm. You got nothing to lose by using it.

I believe that Lubegard Red should be used if the ATF still looks red in a less driven car but is too old in terms of years and you are in 2 minds whether ATF change is really required or not. Lubegard Red can certainly save some money in this particular scenario, not otherwise.

On this contrary, are we 100% sure that this product is NOT altering the friction coefficient and viscosity of the ATF? If it does it will have disastrous effect on the transmission. You might experience immediate clutch slippage or long term clutch damage even though the transmission seems to be shifting smoother. After all, smoother shifts are made possible through extra slipping !

I believe that Lubegard Red should be used if the ATF still looks red in a less driven car but is too old in terms of years and you are in 2 minds whether ATF change is really required or not. Lubegard Red can certainly save some money in this particular scenario, not otherwise.

On this contrary, are we 100% sure that this product is NOT altering the friction coefficient and viscosity of the ATF? If it does it will have disastrous effect on the transmission. You might experience immediate clutch slippage or long term clutch damage even though the transmission seems to be shifting smoother. After all, smoother shifts are made possible through extra slipping !
I have used lubegard on over 20 transmissions.
Usage between 50-300k kms on various vehicles.so
No slippage issues ever.

Back