Lubeguard Platinum on a Ford 6R80, could not have hoped for better results.

The main question is: How does ILI LubeGard know what friction modifiers are in your ATF and if the Friction modifiers in the Platinum are compatible with those in your ATF?
I'm not discounting what you're saying especially since you are an expert! Perhaps it's not that much of an issue as overall there is not that much product in there? For example in our CX-9, it holds 8.5 q or so and there's only 8 oz of the platinum in there.

All I can say is that so far over 200,000 miles probably using the platinum and not a single problem thus far 🙏 just nice smooth shifts.

I am glad it's working for you without issues.

Just as added info, too much FM can cause increased slippage which results in clutch pack and band heating, which is why I caution people using the Platinum or any other third-party FM additive.

I am glad it's working for you without issues.

Just as added info, too much FM can cause increased slippage which results in clutch pack and band heating, which is why I caution people using the Platinum or any other third-party FM additive.
Maybe in my situation where I thought previously the transmission would be imminently needing a rebuild, it's ok to slip a little more. I don't know if that's what's happening but it's shifting way better so I'm loath to mess with it too much.

Another thing to be aware of that this was added on a drain and fill and the total capacity is 13.5 quarts, of which 7.5 quarts is Maxlife MV and 15 oz of Platinum. The rest is mostly Ford OEM, although I did previously add 1 quart of Supertech LV (Ford licensed) when I was fixing a leak from my then-new drain plug. The total of that old fluid should be around 6 qts or so. Don't know the FM properties of each but there's a lot of stuff in there although the supertech was only 1 of 13.5 quarts previously and 55% of that was drained out via the drain and fill.

I could do a couple more drain and fills with Maxlife LV, another 15 ounce bottle of Platinum would be good for two drain and fills at 7.5 qts each, and then we'd have an idea of what was 87% in the pan :D

But nah probably not. I'll probably let it go 10K and do another drain and fill. Maybe I'll do a transmission fluid analysis, what lab gives you useful information on those? I assume that you'd want particle counts to see how much clutch material is floating around in the fluid.

What improvements are people noticing using LubeGard? Is Platinum preferable to Red in 6r60?
I’d like to hear anyone’s thoughts.

But nah probably not. I'll probably let it go 10K and do another drain and fill. Maybe I'll do a transmission fluid analysis, what lab gives you useful information on those? I assume that you'd want particle counts to see how much clutch material is floating around in the fluid.
That would be a good idea but I suspect adding fresh fluid affected the majority of the improvement.

Last edited:
I have had the 6R80 in two trucks since 2011 (2009 F150 and 2016 F150). I had such hard downshifts and clunking into 2nd gear on the 2009 I ended up getting a tune from 5Star tuning to help it out. The engine performance didn't change much, but the transmission tuning was lightyears better with the 5star tune. The 2016's factory tune is actually quite good and didn't need any help. I keep the fluid fresh in those transmissions and have added a bit of LG red over the years. Why did you go with LG platinum? I was under the impression Red was to be used with that age of LV based transmissions.
before 11 model year they all had issues on the 2-1. all makes that used a 6 speed zf had reflash campaigns to make it less obvious

the 11 and up is redesigned internally from the zf so it doesn’t happen anymore

Been thinking about putting Platinum in the 6R80 in my ‘15 2.7 F150. Needed Lubegard red at 128,000 to stop TC shudder. It worked for about 10,000 miles then I did a (1st) service at 138000 and 148000 miles with Maxlife without additive. 5-4 is known to be rough on my era truck, and my truck is sometimes rough on this downshift as well as 2-1. Is there any chance Platinum will make the downshifts smoother?

I have a theory, as least as far as the 10R80 goes.

From what I've read lately, there are some problems with solenoids in this particular transmission wearing. Leads me to think that perhaps a bit extra wear protection or lubrication might be a worthwhile thing in that case. Then I came across this article:

I know it is splitting hairs with the Mercon ULV, and I'm sure their test might be scoffed at, but IMO any extra wear protection I can get will be ok in my book.

I continue to use Platinum at the recommended dose and my 10R80 is behaving as well as any other I've heard of. I certainly don't have any of the problems @meep has had with his. And I do torture mine on a regular basis pulling over 6000# of camper.

as @ctechbob mentioned, my transmission has a small, about 1/5 strength dose of LG red in it. It is not capable of shifting reliably from 3rd without it; it will bang, miss, or give up and drop to neutral without it. With this dose, it rivals the lexus I used to have in most circumstances. I was almost late to an out of state wedding yesterday due to a massive wreck on the one interstate going there. The gps put me on a 2.5 hour drive of mountain switchback. I drove it hard - an accord with a savvy driver would have been fine but it was a hustle for the truck, and the transmission was one of the best parts of the drive.

im pretty sure that something sticks in the valve body, which the LG frees up.

I've heard lots of positive things about LG, but I suspect it is a high-quality ATF in a small bottle. Premium ATFs likely have the same effect at a lesser cost. At any rate, glad it is working for you. That's what matters.

Reactions: hrv
Back