Lubegard Red - Experiences?

I believe that Lubegard Red should be used if the ATF still looks red in a less driven car but is too old in terms of years and you are in 2 minds whether ATF change is really required or not. Lubegard Red can certainly save some money in this particular scenario, not otherwise.

On this contrary, are we 100% sure that this product is NOT altering the friction coefficient and viscosity of the ATF? If it does it will have disastrous effect on the transmission. You might experience immediate clutch slippage or long term clutch damage even though the transmission seems to be shifting smoother. After all, smoother shifts are made possible through extra slipping !
I understand the thinking behind that but in real world usage have not heard that actually happening. I have well over 300k total usage I'm mine/families vehicles and all is well 🙏

I run LG red in our transmissions. Frankly, I have zero objective evidence that it makes anything better. The transmissions have always felt the same before and after, have always been clean, etc.

Will it help anything? Time will tell, but I do have multiple ATs with well over 200k miles. It does make me feel good however, lol. Supposedly it was recommended by an OEM (Saab?) for an AT issue which gave it some legitimacy…

I am not a fan of additives, but LG red absolutely fixed a problem in my 10r80 that the dealer wouldn’t touch, and was all over the internet-middle-earth as an incurable problem. I’m just guessing, but it seems to soften shifts and then the TCU compensates eventually and adds a little pressure to the mix and that evens it all out. In my case I’m pretty sure I had a valve body problem with something binding and this freed it up. All Totally Uneducated guesses on my part, but thats the impression I’m under. That said, less is more. If you need it, start in partial doses. I only needed a fraction of the dose to fix my issue.

Put it in my 01 F150. Makes the OD shift smoother. So does new fluid. I was just lazy. I drain and fill a few quarts every 30k or so.
I had a BMW 540i with a zf 5hp30 transmission -- zf's first (I believe) with incremental torque converter clutch engagement. BMW came out with a TSB (and a remapped computer chip) to address TC clutch chatter shortly after the model came out. It also used a proprietary ATF (Shell LA2634) that was supposedly lifetime. When I got the car with 80k miles the clutch chattered (with the remapped chip), it hunted in and out of lockup around 45 mph and would occasionally slam into limp mode.

I dumped the OE fluid for Dexron III and eventually rebuilt the valve body. It shifted much better, and the fresh fluid eased the TC chatter -- for a few thousand miles. Then it came back. I learned that some Jag drivers who had the same transmission cured the chatter with a Lubegard product called Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx. I added the contents of the 2-ounce tube to my ATF, and the shudder was gone.

I got in the habit of doing a spill and fill every 30k miles, and always added a Lubegard product. The shudder was never a problem after that. I got rid of the car with 296k miles and the original transmission going strong.

I've seen some very positive posts regarding Lubegard products.

I'm thinking of using Lubegard Red in my RX330 and LS430 transmissions.

The RX330 randomly has a harsh 2-3 shift, mostly when warm.

The LS430 shifts well (sometimes shifts down and back up when it shouldn't - but that could be an ECU issue) but otherwise 'vibrates' slightly in Drive when stationary (but not in neutral or park, leading me to think this is indeed 'torque converter shudder')

Any harm in throwing some Lubegard red in both of these transmissions on the next spill and fill? Both are currently full of clean Toyota Type T-IV with fresh transmission filters. (Thinking one full bottle for each vehicle, but any opinions on dosage are appreciated)

Mainly looking for a durability boost - fixing the abovementioned problems would be a nice bonus!
I tried it in my W8 Passat 's ZF auto. No issues. May have improved the shifting a bit. Not conclusive.

I've added LG Red* (I won't use the other versions that claim to make an ATF compatible with vehicles calling for a different fluid) to every A/T I've ever serviced (many) and I've never had a transmission problem. I don't add it to fix any issue but rather to increase the fluids heat breakdown protection (which LG claims to do).
The fact that so many transmission repair shops recommend it says something to me....I doubt they would recommend something that would give them warranty issues.

*LG Red is recommended for use with the fluid that the vehicle specs while some of the others 'convert' fluids for use in other applications.

I had a BMW 540i with a zf 5hp30 transmission -- zf's first (I believe) with incremental torque converter clutch engagement. BMW came out with a TSB (and a remapped computer chip) to address TC clutch chatter shortly after the model came out. It also used a proprietary ATF (Shell LA2634) that was supposedly lifetime. When I got the car with 80k miles the clutch chattered (with the remapped chip), it hunted in and out of lockup around 45 mph and would occasionally slam into limp mode.

I dumped the OE fluid for Dexron III and eventually rebuilt the valve body. It shifted much better, and the fresh fluid eased the TC chatter -- for a few thousand miles. Then it came back. I learned that some Jag drivers who had the same transmission cured the chatter with a Lubegard product called Dr. Tranny's Instant Shudder Fixx. I added the contents of the 2-ounce tube to my ATF, and the shudder was gone.

I got in the habit of doing a spill and fill every 30k miles, and always added a Lubegard product. The shudder was never a problem after that. I got rid of the car with 296k miles and the original transmission going strong.
I'm on 160k. Been behaving the same as when I got it with 50k miles. Every time, new fluid and/or Lubegard makes it shift like a dream. Sounds like BMW copied Ford with their Mercon V solution to chatter or shudder or whatever they call it. Now if I can just find the driveline chirping sound that only occurs when hot. Been doing that for years.....

Snakeoil ?
It’s a good question. I’m skeptical of additives in general, but lubeguard is one where I’ve used several of their products and found them to be good, if it’s being used for the right reason.

their LG Black product was especially useful as a friction modifier, and they seem to be the leading bottle-fix for clutch shudder issues.

im still not pro-additive, but my truck can’t shift without it, literally. (It was blowing upshifts from 3rd so badly that it would sometimes get confused and go to neutral, in traffic).

m

Does lubegard make the clutches slip more or grab more? I used it and the first drive after putting it in all the clutches grabbed nice and hard instead of slipping into gear like they usually do. After a few miles the transmission shifted like it always has but the torque converter lockup hum isn't as bad

Use a good high-quality Multi Vehicle ATF and don't monkey around with additives. It is important to do a complete ATF replacement if you change brand or formulation. If you do that, it is also important to reset the adaptive values and trigger a re-learn and follow the steps outlined by the computer.

You can use one of these devices to do that:

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZ4L25CZ

View attachment 161520

It's $100+tax on Amazon (after $50 off coupon, click on it). After you get it, hook it up to WiFi, update everything from Settings, and purchase the package for your Vehicle Manufacturer, it's $60. Well worth the money. You will have bi-directional access to every module in your vehicle.

That's the right way to do it. Now, if you want to waste time and money playing with additives, that's up to you.

I tried Lubegard Red in our 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe. It softened the shifts a tiny bit when mixed with Red Line D6. I use 20 oz of it. I didn't do anything of substance. In the end, what improved my shifting tremendously and fixed my 1-2 shifting issue was to switch to Mobil 1 LV ATF HP and reset the transmission computer. Now my transmission is shifting flawless, better than when it was new.
Are you somehow related to this company?

LubeGard is good stuff. Not snake oil. They have memos on their websites from major automotive manufacturers recommending their products.

I've moved from using the red to the platinum. I make sure to not use any more than the recommended dose. My 10R80 still shifts great to this day (barring any of the dim-witted programming it sometimes has). The Honda cars are both running MaxLife with it as well since the 'Honda Alternatives' have largely priced themselves out of my market.

Back