Maxlife multi vehicle instead of Mercon V?

Last thread about this that I could find was in 2016 here:

Several on that thread have not had any issues with it but looking for updates on those experiences.

MaxLife multi claims to be fine for all mercon requirements…but all mercons can’t be mixed/interchangeable. Some are not backwards compatible.

About to purchase a 2003 f150 with 160k miles with no known fluid change for the transmission as well as transfer case and differential.

Ford has had a weird history of first saying no don’t use their new fluid in that older application and then later saying it’s okay when they discontinue the older fluids.
(Most recent is moving to mercon lv for all transfer cases🤦‍♂️)

I guess I am just asking for YOUR EXPERIENCE in using maxlife universal multi vehicle fluid instead of mercon v in your older vehicle’s transmissions.
Maxlife apparently is on sale here at Walmart and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $10 per quart motorcraft mercon V at the dealer.

Besides, I’m thinking a good “high mileage” fluid would be a good idea in this case.😁

Thank you!

Last edited:
Many here use it. My problem is that I have Toyotas. Some use the TIV and some WS ATF. Those are 2 different fluids. One is
thicker and one is thinner. If I look on the back of a Maxlife Bottle it says that ATF is good for both TIV and WS. I don't see
how that could be. How can it be good for both?

Many here use it. My problem is that I have Toyotas. Some use the TIV and some WS ATF. Those are 2 different fluids. One is
thicker and one is thinner. If I look on the back of a Maxlife Bottle it says that ATF is good for both TIV and WS. I don't see
how that could be. How can it be good for both?
This is the same issue we have with Ford Mercon V and LV. They are not supposed to be mixed and yet Maxlife universal is supposed to be good for both 🤷‍♂️ Why I’m asking specifically about people’s experience with it in Mercon V transmissions.

On a side note regarding Toyotas, I had 2009 Sienna which I had a fluid exchange done a few years ago. Nasty looking 80k mile fluid went out and Maxlife universal went in. Could nit feel it shift anymore, it was that smooth. Not sure what fluid it required as it’s been a while.

This is the same issue we have with Ford Mercon V and LV. They are not supposed to be mixed and yet Maxlife universal is supposed to be good for both 🤷‍♂️ Why I’m asking specifically about people’s experience with it in Mercon V transmissions.

On a side note regarding Toyotas, I had 2009 Sienna which I had a fluid exchange done a few years ago. Nasty looking 80k mile fluid went out and Maxlife universal went in. Could nit feel it shift anymore, it was that smooth. Not sure what fluid it required as it’s been a while.
I'm still using TIV and WS and Toyota Dex III in mine. D&F in 30K. I should be good ;)

I have used Maxlife in my 2002 F150 with the 4R70W for several years. Did a drain/pan drop/filter change @ 170,000 (I have record of 1 fluid exhange @ 90,000 miles) and have done a drain and fill (I added a drain plug) every 10,000 miles. Transmission is running just fine with 206,000 miles on it.
Also used it in my brother in laws '04 F150 with the 4R75W (also a drain/pan drop/filter change) @ 150,000 miles (fluid had never been changed) and was running fine @ 185,000 miles when sold.

Not that it applies to your use, but I have used it in Hyundai, Kia, (one SPII, 2 SPIV) and Toyota (a WS spec transmission) vehicles, all with no issues, some with improvements in shifting.

I have used Maxlife in my 2002 F150 with the 4R70W for several years. Did a drain/pan drop/filter change @ 170,000 (I have record of 1 fluid exhange @ 90,000 miles) and have done a drain and fill (I added a drain plug) every 10,000 miles. Transmission is running just fine with 206,000 miles on it.
Also used it in my brother in laws '04 F150 with the 4R75W (also a drain/pan drop/filter change) @ 150,000 miles (fluid had never been changed) and was running fine @ 185,000 miles when sold.

Not that it applies to your use, but I have used it in Hyundai, Kia, (one SPII, 2 SPIV) and Toyota (a WS spec transmission) vehicles, all with no issues, some with improvements in shifting.
Good to know. I've been using Supertech Mercon V in my 01 F150 for years. It's getting hard to find lately.

I would much rather and did use any multi that lists mercon v and not lv. The Mobil 1 that was/is $1.75 at autozone would be a great choice. The only reason ford does these backspecs to lv is emmissions.

Sorry no experience except pondering the same question a few years ago.

Last edited:
It is amazing how they've got the composition of Maxlife ATF dialed in these days. I looked at a 4qt jug of it at Walmart a week or so ago and although it said nothing on the face of the jug about CVTs, on the back of the bottle it now lists as being suitable for use for many CVT applications as well as most all conventional ATs. I know we've talked about that in other threads. I just hadn't seen it in the wild yet.

Last thread about this that I could find was in 2016 here:

Several on that thread have not had any issues with it but looking for updates on those experiences.

MaxLife multi claims to be fine for all mercon requirements…but all mercons can’t be mixed/interchangeable. Some are not backwards compatible.

About to purchase a 2003 f150 with 160k miles with no known fluid change for the transmission as well as transfer case and differential.

Ford has had a weird history of first saying no don’t use their new fluid in that older application and then later saying it’s okay when they discontinue the older fluids.
(Most recent is moving to mercon lv for all transfer cases🤦‍♂️)

I guess I am just asking for YOUR EXPERIENCE in using maxlife universal multi vehicle fluid instead of mercon v in your older vehicle’s transmissions.
Maxlife apparently is on sale here at Walmart and is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $10 per quart motorcraft mercon V at the dealer.

Besides, I’m thinking a good “high mileage” fluid would be a good idea in this case.😁

Thank you!
I have had excellent results with Maxlife ATF. Never had a fluid test, but have had better shifting in older vehicles and newer vehicles. Just used it in my vehicles and it shifts "better: than the factory fluid.

There was some controversy years ago with Maxlife and Dexron6 and Mercon5 where as Valvoline was accused of advertising that their product met the specs when the manufactures said it did not. I do not remember all the details in the statement as it was slightly chemistry based and "scientific", but all in all Valvoline said it met the specs and would warranty its use 100%.

Cumulative miles I have on Maxlife ATF is probably 400-500k in my own vehicles over the years, and maybe 100k in my daughters vehicle.

I do use it currently and would continue as long as the product is offered, no doubt

Back