ford or chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Anies
Some of the Ford lineup can be tough to work on, and some are just down right stupid. But, this goes for every manufacturer. No manufacturer makes 100% flawless easy to work on cars. They all make that rough turd once in awhile.

You want something "easy" to work on, a pre 96 Wrangler 6 banger will be the easiest thing you every laid your eyes on.

1920's 32' Minette launch with a Van-Blerk I4 in it. You have total access to the engine from all sides and can sit in the engine bay. That's the easiest I've had the privilege of touching anyways
wink.gif

One of the locals has an old Chevy truck (80's vintage from the looks of it) and the body is about gone...years of salt exposure and the lousy metal and lack of galvanizing and rust proofing of that era have taken their toll. On the drivers side he's spray painted his version of an old Chevy truck slogan to read "Nothing Rusts Like a Chevy Truck!"

To the guy who says that the Ford 8.8" is a weak axle.... I'm sorry but you have absolutely no clue what your talking about. The 8.8 is one of the most highly swapped axles into Jeeps after the Dana 44. You want a weak rear axle? Get a Dana 35. THOSE are weak. Or an AMC 20.

Now, Ford or Chevy? I'm personally a Ford guy myself. We towed a 99" Wrangler with lift, big tires etc all the way from maine to florida and back(it weighs 6500lb loaded with stuff) with a 2003 Expedition with the 4.6L. (which we later found out is only rated for 5000lb) without any problems. The 5.4 is a good engine, but it needs updated. GM, toyota, and dodge all have high 300s for their biggest engine. the 5.4 is only 300. they should bring back the 4.6 in it though. It does pretty well in a 5000lb SUV, so I would imagine it would make fairly decent base engine in a pickup. Better than the 4.0L V6 they use in the Sport Trac anyway.

most who site the "weakness" of the 8.8 are the units that used the 28 spline axles like the 7.5" Ford. All I've ever really seen stated about it's "weakness".

Originally Posted By: Buffman
most who site the "weakness" of the 8.8 are the units that used the 28 spline axles like the 7.5" Ford. All I've ever really seen stated about it's "weakness".

Yup. And only light-duty applications got the 28 spline axles, trucks (even the Explorer) got 31-spline axles which are MUCH stronger.

Even the 28-spline axles will live behind an H/C/I 5.0L on slicks though. Add a blower, and then things get sketchy.

He said the yard (I'm guessing junk yard) gets lots of call for the 8.8.

So he ASSUMED they were bad.

He didn't consider folks may actually DESIRE them, and want them to swap into something else with an inferior axle.

I know ZERO about axles, but after seeing folks mention they were used in Jeep swaps, I'm thinking our resident idiot savant came to the wrong conclusion with respect to his data.

Why is he still a member here? Comedy relief?

Originally Posted By: FORD4LIFE
(personal attacks are not allowed)

Got it!

(sorry)
blush.gif

+1

wafrederick1 is a "button pusher". He just goes around saying things to get people worked up. Maybe if his posts were ignored, he would find somewhere else to play.

I worked at a Ford dealer attempting to sell them in 2000-2001. I was able to drive and go on test rides as well.

We always had a couple of used GM trucks on the lot. The used Fords just seemed like they were put together better.

I remember one lady that I sold a 2001 Explorer vividly. We left Explorer running outside the sales office. I was walking towards it and heard a ping. I thought that is not good, and I was far enough away to see a big puddle of trans fluid forming under the trans area.
I was like oh xxxx, I then quickly turned it off and got the shop guys over to deal with it. The customer was not happy but I assured her that it was shut down immediately and they will fix it ASAP. I told her that nothing got damaged and it will be good as new. I was like a servo cover and the snap ring had not been fully seated.

First year Explorer model, I wonder how many others it happened to?

Maintain either and they will last.
Keep an eye on 'what you choose' forums for issues/solutions to problems that arise.

Buy whatever you like.

I like Fords, have always been a ford guy. But I really am impressed with my grandfathers 99' Silverado 1500, that has the 5.3 and only 35,000 miles. I also am impressed with the 12 year old cavalier that I acquired from him. But I do love ford and especially the 4.6L (that is in my rent's expedition) it will probably last forever.

Ford all the way. Only Chevys I had any luck with were both Toyotas (Nova/Prism.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back