Ford Gran Torino vs. Dodge Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a weird question but here goes... What car would you rather have.. The Ford Gran Torino in Starsky and Hutch or the Dodge Charger in The Dukes of Hazzard?

if each came with a lifetime supply of replacement parts: the Charger.

If not, neither......

quote:

Originally posted by 74 Laguna:
This is a weird question but here goes... What car would you rather have.. The Ford Gran Torino in Starsky and Hutch or the Dodge Charger in The Dukes of Hazzard?

Well in 1986 when I was 16 I actually bought a bright orange 69 charger. It only had a 318 engine in it, but I had planned to put in a 440 with a 6 pack. A drunk driver hit me at 3:30 pm while dropping my girlfriend off from school I sold it for $600.

So I guess I would take the Charger.

Also if you are a fan of the "Blade" movies, he has a black sweet looking 69 charger.

torino with the 400 had ONLY 180HP. the 351 had somthing like 150hp iirc. can you believe that? only 180 freakin hp. the new scion xb's come with more power than that!

i have a ford elite, its a luxury version of the torino. its got the 400, gran torino sport trans and rear end. let me tell you this car is a dog. it handles as bad as a semi truck too. i think it weighs like 4500lbs or somthing. a piece of crap this ford is. i would rather have a charger painted up with the general lee sceme any day!

That depends: If I have to take the paint job from the shows, then the Torino for sure.

If I can paint it any color I want, then the Charger.

When I was a kid, I drove a '72 Gran Torino Sport. Big, bulky, and fairly fast. I really enjoyed that car and it was great for dates....lot's of room and drove as smooth as a luxury model. So, of course, I would choose the Torino.

There's a local here that has a reproduction of the General Lee. Stars and Bars on the hood (or is it the roof
confused.gif
) ..anyway ..it was so good that he was invited to some of the PR shows/conventions and has pictures of himself and the cast. But there was something odd to the story ..like they had a actors strike at some point in the production of the show and the actors were'nt who you would normally associate with the Dukes.

We also had a pair of county detectives that were an unreasonable facsimilie of Starsky and Hutch. They drove a Torino and had hair cuts and clothing selection sorta matched the actors. I don't think that either of them had that big 44 mag though.

The hp ratings were lame in those years. SAE net was the standard of the day. Taken at the back of the trans with all accessories driven. I think my 75 350 4bbl was 165 hp and my 78 454 was something like 200 ..maybe 225 ...which was about 40 hp higher than my mom's 1961 318 2bbl in her wagon.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/opine/horsepwr.html

SAE Net Horspower
In 1972, American manufacturers phased in SAE net horsepower. This is the standard on which current American ratings are based. This rating is measured at the flywheel, on an engine dyno, but the engine is tested with all accessories installed, including a full exhaust system, all pumps, the alternator, the starter, and emissions controls. Both SAE net and SAE gross horsepower test procedures are documented in Society of Automotive Engineers standard J1349. Because SAE net is so common, this is the standard we will use to compare all others.

SAE Gross Horsepower
This is the old process that American manufacturers used as a guide for rating their cars. It was in place until 1971. SAE gross also measures horsepower at the flywheel, but with no accessories to bog it down. This is the bare engine with nothing but the absolute essentials attached to it; little more than a carb, fuel pump, oil pump, and water pump. Because the test equipment on the engine is not the same as in SAE net, it is impossible to provide a mathematical calculation between SAE net and SAE gross. As a general rule, however, SAE net tends to be approximately 80% of the value of SAE gross. SAE J245 and J1995 define this measurement.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
There's a local here that has a reproduction of the General Lee. Stars and Bars on the hood (or is it the roof
confused.gif
) ..anyway ..it was so good that he was invited to some of the PR shows/conventions and has pictures of himself and the cast. But there was something odd to the story ..like they had a actors strike at some point in the production of the show and the actors were'nt who you would normally associate with the Dukes.

We also had a pair of county detectives that were an unreasonable facsimilie of Starsky and Hutch. They drove a Torino and had hair cuts and clothing selection sorta matched the actors. I don't think that either of them had that big 44 mag though.

The hp ratings were lame in those years. SAE net was the standard of the day. Taken at the back of the trans with all accessories driven. I think my 75 350 4bbl was 165 hp and my 78 454 was something like 200 ..maybe 225 ...which was about 40 hp higher than my mom's 1961 318 2bbl in her wagon.

be aware too that in 71 most GM engines (and probably other domestics) went to low compression (~8.5-9.5:1). Many 70 GM engines were much higher compression, believe in the 11:1 or higher range. the power drop was dramatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back