Ford F-150 Lightning Owner Explains Why He Sold It After 6 Months

Obligatory:

Must be nice to have insane money for numerous high dollar vehicles and trips. I confess to not watching it all, skipping over some parts as they became repetitive and annoying. Maybe he should do more than just rely on the built-in NAV to do his recharging.

I fill my car the last day of the month to maximize the Kroger fuel discount, usually always $1 per gallon. If I had an EV, presuming it was smart so I could program it as I wish, I'd plug it in every day and have it recharge back to 80% overnight. I'll have a big capital gains tax this year and may buy an EV while the $7500 credit would apply. We'll see.
Yes, they have schedulers. Here is the charging screen on our Model 3; you set limit (80%, 90%, whatever), time to finish (basically start time). I set mine to be ready to go at 5:00AM. People generally charge in the off hours to take advantage of lower electricity rates.
1686257097718.jpg

Must be nice to have insane money for numerous high dollar vehicles and trips. I confess to not watching it all, skipping over some parts as they became repetitive and annoying. Maybe he should do more than just rely on the built-in NAV to do his recharging.
Rich Benoit is a crazy ball of sarcastic energy. It’s a weird thing to take at face value.

Yes, they have schedulers. Here is the charging screen on our Model 3; you set limit (80%, 90%, whatever), time to finish (basically start time). I set mine to be ready to go at 5:00AM. People generally charge in the off hours to take advantage of lower electricity rates.
View attachment 160171
I thought that's how it worked. The base 3 is on my suspect list if I get an EV.

I thought that's how it worked. The base 3 is on my suspect list if I get an EV.
The base Model 3 and Model Y are really the smart choices. Tesla is cutting prices on the Model 3 because the refresh is due this fall. But that's Elon time, so who the heck knows?

FYI, the dual motor cars are faster off the line, but at speed the RWD cars are almost as fast. And that's how you use them, merging, passing, and having fun. The right now torque never gets old.

The charging network is going to have to get insanely larger if in the future we are all driving EVs. Have you ever had to wait 20 minutes on a holiday to get gas on a busy interstate with 10 gas lanes and multiple pumps in each lane? Imagine that scene if instead of taking 5 minutes to fill up each car took 30-60 minutes. I already see full-up chargers with people waiting on the interstate.

The charging network is going to have to get insanely larger if in the future we are all driving EVs. Have you ever had to wait 20 minutes on a holiday to get gas on a busy interstate with 10 gas lanes and multiple pumps in each lane? Imagine that scene if instead of taking 5 minutes to fill up each car took 30-60 minutes. I already see full-up chargers with people waiting on the interstate.
MODS….! ^^^ AE is making too much sense in this post! DO SOMETHING….!

The base Model 3 and Model Y are really the smart choices. Tesla is cutting prices on the Model 3 because the refresh is due this fall. But that's Elon time, so who the heck knows?

FYI, the dual motor cars are faster off the line, but at speed the RWD cars are almost as fast. And that's how you use them, merging, passing, and having fun. The right now torque never gets old.
The Y is likely out of my range although I'd like that body more. And it would be the base model of either. My hero is the tortoise not the hare. And the base models are definitely not tortoises either.

That's when you need to be fueling at the Bucee's in New Braunfels. :)

The irrational hatred of EV's is pretty funny. If you don't like them, don't buy one. For some uses they don't make any sense, for others they are great. My wife and I have two vehicles. At this point one EV and one IC make the most sense. Horses for courses.

I wonder what political party the haters belong to.

When I had my TDi I could fill up almost every other week, assuming I tried to not drive too fast. Versus every 3 to 5 days in my gassers, and I typically was filling up at eighth of a tank or so. With hybrid I’m once a week, or 1.5 weeks. But I’m rarely more than 100miles from home.

EV could be nice, time wasted driving can be nice, commuting less so, a
but standing at the gas pump? eh…

I miss that tdi, that thing had some legs, 700 miles on a tank was easy. But I don’t think I ever did more than 500 miles of seat time at a time, the couple times I did, I dreaded getting back into the saddle on those 800 mile trips. Half hour nap at a charger sounds like nice idea now. But also not so sure, not with NH electric rates.

It’s also a subject that is not allowed here.
Which is why I completely ignored it when it first came up and didn't bring it back around again. But when it was brought up again for the purpose of stirring things up, I made an appropriate and accurate comment.

Refueling is part of life with all motor-vehicles and no big deal. While the fuel pumps I enter the rest of the info into the fuelly app and then get the gallons about then. So I'm occupied while it pumps. And with an EV a mandatory refueling stop is going to be a bigger and lengthier affair than grabbing a few gallons of gas.
It’s an irrational hatred I have. Gotta stop for gas once a week… might be able to stretch that out to every other week but then we run into my irrational fear of being below half a tank.

Maybe the EV owners are more patient than ICE owners. They can exchange recharging stories. ;)

It’s an irrational hatred I have. Gotta stop for gas once a week… might be able to stretch that out to every other week but then we run into my irrational fear of being below half a tank.
I don't hate the process of filling up, but I do hate waiting in line to do it. Inevitably if there are backups at the pump I choose to get behind someone who goes inside to pay cash, go to the bathroom, and get themselves a snack.

I don't hate the process of filling up, but I do hate waiting in line to do it. Inevitably if there are backups at the pump I choose to get behind someone who goes inside to pay cash, go to the bathroom, and get themselves a snack.
And then pop the hood and check the oil.

Back