Ford Says Electric F-150 Will Start Under $40,000. It Can Also Power Your Home

While true, this statistic may be misleading without detail... Plus it is an old study; from 2012 thru 2018 I believe.
If course, this suggests 4 in 5 did not go back to ICE, right?
The key reasons cited for going back to ICE are:
  • The early EVs had limited range, like 40 to 50 miles (Teslas have by far the highest customer satisfaction rating of any car and are the leaset to be replaced by an ICE)
  • Owners had only 1 vehicle (all the owners I know have multiple cars)
  • Charging if they were renters and especially if they only had street parking (I would not have an EV if I couldn't charge at home, and I have solar panels as electricity is stupid expensive in CA)
  • They live in a area with less charging stations (CA has the largest buildout, but that's for Teslas only)
So yes, it is charging, but with strides in range extension and charging station build outs, the 20% number is dropping. Charging at home is the only way to go in my opinion. Condos and apartment buildings are lobbying for charging infrastructure around here. Of course no one has figured out how to help out the street parkers...

When people ask me about Tesla ownership, the 1st thing I ask them is, "How you gonna charge?". You might be surprised how many have a dumb look on their face. Seriously. I generally tell them, "These cars are expensive. You might be better off with a Civic for now..."
Charging is the big issue and I believe it to be accurate to say it is the "key reason" they lose that 20% not range, number of vehicles.

Anyway, I think it is accurate to say, EV is a media darling right now. Including forums :eek:)
Anything that creates clicks, anything that a corporation can say that will give free media exposure.
But the reality is we are currently in the low single digits of the market place, it is incredibly inconvenient to charge an EV for people on the go.
It will be this way for a long time, except the bigger cities, hopefully solve this within the decade.

As far as charging at home, same deal, pain in the neck for active people, and for much of America they have no clue how expensive their electric bill is going to go up. Can you imagine your electric bill when you charge your EV at $12.00 a KWH? Which is the peak usage time here instead of .06 cents ... Even at NY and CA electric rates of 20 cents a KWH that is quite pricey for a vehicle that is literally tied to an extension cord vs the freedom of gas. Never mind converting your home wiring so you can charge your vehicle in what might consider a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, EV is the future for city/urban areas but a significant part of the population will love the freedom of gas.
It will take decades to get up to lets say, a 25% market penetration for EV. The costs are enormous for the average homeowner who cant even buy a vehicle without taking out a loan anymore.

... and ohhhh ... boy ... wow ... are we going to have to beef up the electric grid ... at a time when we abandoned the most practical, clean, economical, ZERO affect on the environment = Nuclear Power.

Im not by any means against EV, its just me, so much media exposure for so little part of the population and off the wall expectations of buyers of the vehicles and regrets of many.

Back