New F-150 Delivers Best In Class Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Ford is jumping the gun on the final fuel economy ratings for the 2011 F-150, projecting it will have a best-in-class rating for its 3.7-liter V6 ( 23 mpg highway), and its 5.0-liter V8 (21 mpg highway). Although the ratings have not yet received EPA certification, most automakers' projections fall in line with the final ratings. Both ratings are for the 4X2 models. The 23 mpg expected from the 3.7-liter engine is a 9.5 percent improvement in fuel economy over the most fuel-efficient F-150 to date, the 2009 F-150 SFE (Superior Fuel Economy).

The 2011 F-150 achieves the higher mpg ratings through a more efficient six-speed transmission and an electric power-assisted steering system. Ford says that it is the only manufacturer to equip its entire full-size pickup lineup with six-speed gearboxes as standard equipment. No word yet on what numbers we can expect from the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6, but the 6.2-liter V8 is projected to get 12 mpg in the city and 17 mpg on the highway. F-150 models with the 3.7-liter V6, 5.0-liter V8 and 6.2-liter V8 are scheduled to hit showrooms later this year. The EcoBoost will be available in early 2011. More engine details from the press release after the jump.

3.7-liter four-valve Ti-VCT V6
The 3.7-liter will be the most powerful, capable and fuel-efficient base V6 of any truck in its class. Key attributes include:

Projected best-in-class 23 mpg highway (4x2 configuration), pending final EPA certification. Also delivers 16 mpg city
Best-in-class 302 horsepower at 6,500 rpm
Unsurpassed 278 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm
Best-in-class 6,100 pounds maximum trailer tow
Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) creates precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, performance and fuel economy
E85 flex fuel capability
Piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions
Forged-steel crankshaft for improved durability
Built at Cleveland Engine Plant

5.0-liter four-valve DOHC Ti-VCT V8
The 5.0-liter V8 in the 2011 F-150 offers many class bests compared with comparable base V8s, including:

Projected best-in-class 21 mpg highway (4x2 configuration), pending final EPA certification
Best-in-class 360 horsepower at 5,500 rpm
Best-in-class 380 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,250 rpm
Best-in-class 10,000 pounds maximum trailer tow
New strengthened block and new cylinder head optimized for performance and enhanced cooling
Unique intake camshafts, combined with Ti-VCT, composite intake manifold and optimized compression ratio for improved low-speed torque and towing capability
Forged-steel crank and all-new oil cooler enhance durability
Piston-cooling jets, which squirt oil on the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions
E85 flex fuel capability
Built at Essex Engine Plant; Windsor, Ontario

6.2-liter two-valve SOHC V8
The 6.2-liter V8 is a premium engine offering on the 2011 F-150. It is now standard on F-150 SVT Raptor, with expanded offering on other specialty applications. Its attributes include:

Best-in-class 411 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 434 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,500 rpm vs. all competitors
Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. all competitors
Projected 12 mpg city, 17 mpg highway (4x2 configuration), pending final EPA certification
Durability of race-proven components and technology showcased in November 2008 when a 6.2-liter Raptor R not only survived the grueling Baja 1000, it earned a podium finish. The same engine then completed every mile of the 2009 Best in the Desert series
Utilizes a large bore and shorter stroke. This approach to creating power has its roots in storied Ford racing engines. The large bore allows for larger intake and exhaust valves for improved engine airflow, and the short stroke allows higher engine speed for increased horsepower
Because of the large bore size, two spark plugs per cylinder are used to more efficiently burn the fuel-air mixture in the combustion chamber, enabling better fuel economy and increased engine torque. The twin plugs also help maintain a smooth, stable idle
Built at Romeo (Mich.) Engine Plant

3.5-liter Ti-VCT EcoBoost
A premium powertrain offering available after launch, the 3.5-liter EcoBoost has more torque than any competitors' V8 with the fuel economy of a smaller-displacement engine. This EcoBoost engine will establish a new benchmark for its combination of performance capability and fuel efficiency. Its attributes include:

365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm on regular fuel
Best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm on regular fuel
Best-in-class 11,300 pounds maximum trailer tow vs. all competitors
Best-in-class 3,060 pounds payload vs. all competitors
Up to 90 percent of peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm
New benchmark for combination of performance capability and fuel efficiency
Ti-VCT creates precise, variable timing control of both the intake and exhaust camshafts to optimize power, performance and fuel economy
Intake and exhaust camshafts optimized for improved fuel economy and performance
Cast exhaust manifolds for heavy-duty operation and durability
Improved manifold and cylinder heads for improved performance
Direct-acting mechanical bucket (DAMB) valvetrain with polished buckets to reduce friction and improve fuel economy
Built at Cleveland Engine Plant

http://blogs.edmunds.com/strategies/2010...-for-f-150.html

And that's your Ford news for today!
lol.gif

Sincerely,

Mr. Critic, the person who starts controversial debates.
wink.gif

I've been very eagerly waiting to hear the fuel economy numbers for these engines. The 3.7 gets better mileage than my Ranger. If I ever NEED to replace my truck, a reg cab, short bed 3.7 F150 is at the top of my list.

I can't wait to see the 3.5L EB numbers. I'm guessing they are similar to the 3.7L numbers but with lots more power and tons more torque across a very broad rpm range. Should be pretty impressive. I'm a GM guy but this is a very impressive engine lineup, good job Ford.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Ford is jumping the gun on the final fuel economy ratings for the 2011 F-150, projecting it will have a best-in-class rating for its 3.7-liter V6 ( 23 mpg highway), and its 5.0-liter V8 (21 mpg highway). Although the ratings have not yet received EPA certification, most automakers' projections fall in line with the final ratings.

The EPA only tests 20% of the models for MPG purposes. The rest it takes the word of the manufacturers. So I doubt that they are jumping the gun over the EPA. Maybe over the competitors who have not published MPG numbers yet.

It's about time that the full size truck manufacturers realized that many people like full sized trucks even if they have nothing to tow. A full sized truck that gets 23 MPG highway will sell very well if my predictions are correct.

Nice work Ford!

I still don't think this is the 'right' engine line-up for a truck!

People - these are all CAR engines, NOT TRUCK engines!

Ford used to make a solid 300 I-6 that was suited to trucks. GM's truck engines are STILL high torque, 16V, OHV V-8s. The Chrysler Hemi is similar.

These engines are high-HP, high rpm, DOHC type that are more suited to a high performance sport sedan that a truck!

Yes, Ford used the 4.6 and 5.4 OHC's in trucks, but they were still 'tuned' for truck use. Thse engines most likely aren't.

I think Ford is going the wrong way on this.......

May be the only one to make the 6 speed trans standard, but the price is pushed up a notch because of it.

I'm very impressed with the 2011 Ford F-150. I plan on buying an F-150 a few years down the road when my Dodge kicks the bucket. Right now, I think my first choice would be the 5.0 engine with the 6.2 being my second choice. The 3.5 Turbo V6 puts out some impressive numbers although you need to run it on 93 octane to realize those numbers.

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Ford used to make a solid 300 I-6 that was suited to trucks. GM's truck engines are STILL high torque, 16V, OHV V-8s. The Chrysler Hemi is similar.

Ford 3.7 V6 has more torque below 2000 rpm than all other v6 "real truck" engines
37.jpg
Ford 5.0 v8 has more torque below 2000 rpm than other v8 “real truck” engines

torque-chart-1281547786.jpg

These engines are high-HP, high rpm, DOHC type that are more suited to a high performance sport sedan that a truck!

Quote:
The 3.5-liter EcoBoost truck engine delivers 365 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and best-in-class 420 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,500 rpm, with up to 90 percent of the peak torque available from 1,700 rpm to 5,000 rpm – all on regular fuel

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33260

Sounds pretty suitable for a truck to me.

Yes, Ford used the 4.6 and 5.4 OHC's in trucks, but they were still 'tuned' for truck use. Thse engines most likely aren't.

Wow, way to just assume they aren’t retuned. They are.
Quote:
Three key changes on the 5.0L V8 truck engine as compared to the 5.0L V8 found in the 2011 Mustang:
• Retuned intake camshafts (for lower RPM torque)
• Cast iron exhaust manifolds (for durability)
• Compression ratio down to 10.5:1 in F-150 versus 11:1 in Mustang

http://www.fordf150.net/blog/121/2011-ford-f150-whats-new/

3.7 v6:
Quote:
First launched in the 2011 Mustang, the aluminum-block six-cylinder features twin independent camshaft timing, and has been slightly re-tuned -- notably in its intake and exhaust systems - to be less rev-happy and more towing-friendly.

http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_...l#ixzz12S2om5gj

Last edited:
The turbo 3.5 V6 WILL run on regular 87 octane but you MUST run it on 93 octane if you want optimum power. That came straight from Ford's website.

I hope they can manage to eek out 23 mpg from that set-up. The problem for me is that most trucks sold today are 4x4, not 2x4. This will make a significant difference in fuel economy and quite frankly, I'd be surprised if most users can manage 20 mpg.

I hope Ford proves me wrong.

Clark

Best in Class when the class includes yachts, submarines, and the F-4 Phantom on full afterburner.

I now have direct personal experience with 3 different EB V-6's.

Only one gets near it's rated mileage, and that is driven extremely carefully by a mileage conscious driver.

I would expect the real world mileage to be a bit less than advertised. May still be the best among pickups.

Those are reasonable mileage numbers and I would expect them to be attainable readily enough in the real world; if not right on the money, then reasonably close. Nice numbers to see for a pickup too. I too am liking what I've been seeing from Ford these days.

-Spyder

I think Ford is going the wrong way on this.......

Car engines vs. truck engines, what an over-simplistic blanket statement. "High-HP, high rpm, DOHC type that are more suited to a high performance sport sedan that a truck" - more over-simplistic generalizations that show a real vacuum of knowledge.

3.7 TiVCT V6 - not sure what differences there are between this and the Mustang engine.

5.0 TiVCT V8 - lower compression, different cylinder heads with smaller runner volumes, lower duration camshafts vs. Mustang 5.0. This engine is most definitely tuned for truck duty.

3.5 EcoBoost V6 - torque limitation turned off, produces huge torque down around 1500 rpm.

6.2 Boss V8 - designed from the ground up as a HD truck power-plant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back