Ford F-150 Lightning Owner Explains Why He Sold It After 6 Months

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting article about. Ford Lightning owner selling his electric truck. One of his four reasons I truly comprehend- the challenges of charging the truck outside of metropolitan areas.

Interesting article about. Ford Lightning owner selling his electric truck. One of his four reasons I truly comprehend- the challenges of charging the truck outside of metropolitan areas.

These influencers run through cars all the time. Because of that I have a hard time believing his video was anything but clickbait for the channel.

Seems like depreciation and relevant charging network would be something you would think about before dropping $88k+ taxes.
Ya think?
People ask me about buying a Tesla all the time. The 1st thing I ask is, "How ya gonna charge?" "Do you have 240 in the garage?" "Better find out if you can get a dedicated 240V circuit installed!"

The key points are lack of charging network and the Lightning is an electrified ICE vehicle. Perhaps people discount the "pure play" concept. Everything else is a compromise.
Making a good EV is different that electrifying what you already have. The big boys will have to step up their game im more ways than one.

The key points are lack of charging network and the Lightning is an electrified ICE vehicle. Perhaps people discount the "pure play" concept. Everything else is a compromise.
Making a good EV is different that electrifying what you already have. The big boys will have to step up their game im more ways than one.
The “electric truck” is the part I don’t understand-if Toyota revived the 1st Gen xB/bB and figured out how to electrify it, give it decent range, say 175 miles including use of climate controls, they would be pretty popular if they could sell them in the $30K range. An electric F-150 is big enough & heavy enough that it would need a much heavier battery pack, get worse MPGe, and take longer to charge than a small car would. With the added battery weight, the truck isn’t hauling much payload anyway.

But it's so great and it has the really cool front trunk. I can see my groceries coming home in there. (No, I refuse to use that stupid made up word)

The “electric truck” is the part I don’t understand-if Toyota revived the 1st Gen xB/bB and figured out how to electrify it, give it decent range, say 175 miles including use of climate controls, they would be pretty popular if they could sell them in the $30K range. An electric F-150 is big enough & heavy enough that it would need a much heavier battery pack, get worse MPGe, and take longer to charge than a small car would. With the added battery weight, the truck isn’t hauling much payload anyway.
This is to a T what my argument is against electric trucks. They're inefficient enough as it is. We should electrify it adding a ton of weight and then have it rely on a lackluster charging network. At least if the Cybertruck's ugly ass ever makes it to the road it will have the Supercharger network.

What's curious is people buy vehicles that don't "fit" them all the time-trade them in and roll over the negative equity. It happens. Yet-this guy gets a youtube video and a thread on here.

This is to a T what my argument is against electric trucks. They're inefficient enough as it is. We should electrify it adding a ton of weight and then have it rely on a lackluster charging network. At least if the Cybertruck's ugly ass ever makes it to the road it will have the Supercharger network.

One of your points to your argument is now moot.

One of your points to your argument is now moot.
I'm aware. I wonder how much they'll actually be able to use Tesla chargers if they'll still be stupid about others using it like the magic dock ones. I just can't see a dumber use of EVs than trucks unless it's only getting used locally. Twice the battery for the same range as a smaller car.

The Superchargers are a cash cow for Tesla. They should maximize their investment via asset usage. Tesla's Supercharger Network is serious leverage. Every other company loses money on every EV sold; Tesla can choose to leverage Supercharger revenue and further price squeeze the already strapped legacy company EV business.

The software issue he cited is telling. Ford, and other car companies, have outsourced the mfg and coding of the various software based components in their vehicles. They have little to no in-house expertise. With more and more functionality becoming software driven, this is a problem. There can be 150 such components... Tesla is a tech company and practices vertical integration. When numerous companies supply intelligent comments, you get software that does not work together, different languages, hardware, etc. Integration is a mess. Ford CEO Farley has spoke to this and is starting to bring expertise in-house. VW supposedly lost CEO Deiss over software struggles.

Last edited:
Here is a article from AAA stating when hauling at or near max allowable load, the lighting's range is 30 percent lower than what the EPA is reporting. Supplementing, AAA also states this truck will not be primarily used for hauling for most of its time in operation, so the reduced range is a moot point for most Lightning owners.

Here is a article from AAA stating when hauling at or near max allowable load, the lighting's range is 30 percent lower than what the EPA is reporting. Supplementing, AAA also states this truck will not be primarily used for hauling for most of its time in operation, so the reduced range is a moot point for most Lightning owners.

Of course. More weight, less range just like any vehicle towing sees a similar drop in fuel economy. Unfortunately the Lightning is both inefficient and doesn’t have enough battery to offset it.

Most people who buy these things don't use the brain they were born with. If you want a truck to do "truck stuff" it has to have a heavy full frame, that alone makes the vehicle considerably heavier, now toss a battery in that is big enough to give it more range than getting past the end of the street and the weight is way up.
Trucks are not good for EV use and CA mandating EV class 8 trucks is beyond insanity, the clown that came up with that idea needs a few rounds of electro shock therapy.

Back