Ford Coyote 5.0 5w20 vs 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by jongies3
Ford was one of the first to use a 20wt oil. And millions of combined trouble free miles have been put on thousands of Ford engines on it since! People way overthink this subject. That engine will never know the difference between the 20 and 30.

Was Ford also the first to go back to 5w-30 in certain applications?

Originally Posted by CKN

Nobody's motor is going to self destruct or wear prematurely because of 5W/20-Oil.

Don't you blaspheme! Evil CAFE-lover!

By some of the logic I see on this board, 15w-40 would get you to 700k miles.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My 3.0l Ford is runs much better on 5w-30 than the Ford back spec'd 5w-20 I used the first 10 years of it's life.

I've seen this testimony a few different places recently. What about it is better? I don't doubt that you notice a difference I just want to understand what changes you experience?

I've noticed no fuel economy changes when I moved to a 30 grade. Ford recommends for the mustangs with the same engine to use a 30 grade if you are going to track the car. Many are using a 50 grade with no ill effects.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Ford was one of the first to use a 20wt oil. And millions of combined trouble free miles have been put on thousands of Ford engines on it since! People way overthink this subject. That engine will never know the difference between the 20 and 30.

IMHO, this reply is as simple as it gets.
If I were to sneak into your garage over night and change your oil from 5W20 to 5W30, would you know it the next morning? I don't think your engine will either. And, like others stated, the 5W30 adds a little more protection.
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by advocate

I've noticed no fuel economy changes when I moved to a 30 grade. Ford recommends for the mustangs with the same engine to use a 30 grade if you are going to track the car. Many are using a 50 grade with no ill effects.

Does either vehicle has a oil cooler?

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
Originally Posted by ka9mnx
My 3.0l Ford is runs much better on 5w-30 than the Ford back spec'd 5w-20 I used the first 10 years of it's life.

I've seen this testimony a few different places recently. What about it is better? I don't doubt that you notice a difference I just want to understand what changes you experience?

MUCH LESS oil consumption. Smoother quieter engine operation. And BETTER fuel economy (contradiction, I know).

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by advocate

Does either vehicle has a oil cooler?

I know the GT with the Performance Pack has an oil cooler, not sure about the F-150.

In my 2013 5.0 F150 I run 5w-20.
56,000 miles.
Will be switching to Miles Synthetic blend and Penz copper bottle HM 5w30 simply because I have cases of each.

Question! Putting high milage oil in an engine thats not seaping/leaking past seals is not reccomend, that high milage oil has seal swellers in it and using it in an engine that doesnt leak or seap oil out of the seals "may start to" if you switch later to non hm oils. Is there any truth to this? Asking for a friend
56.gif

^^^ I would not put "High Mileage" oil in any newer engine, and not even in an older one that didn't show any leaks or major oil consumption.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Question! Putting high milage oil in an engine thats not seaping/leaking past seals is not reccomend, that high milage oil has seal swellers in it and using it in an engine that doesnt leak or seap oil out of the seals "may start to" if you switch later to non hm oils. Is there any truth to this? Asking for a friend
56.gif

Who doesn't recommend it ?

High Mileage oil will not hurt any engine whether new or old. Look at Valvoline, Pennzoil as well as others state you can even use in new cars. It conditions seals not swell the seals.

56.gif

Absolutely not High mileage works well in all engines what gives you the idea that a high mileage oil would cause problems? If the oil has the proper ratings it will be fine .

Originally Posted by CT8
56.gif

Absolutely not High mileage works well in all engines what gives you the idea that a high mileage oil would cause problems? If the oil has the proper ratings it will be fine .

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back