Ford Coyote 5.0 5w20 vs 5w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does Ford call for such a thin oil? They use 5w20 for "fuel efficiency requirements" is what im told by numerous people, and i should go with 5w30. Would there not be any mechanical reasons to run only 5w20? 5w30 isnt that much different, but there has to be more to the question of why they chose it?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
Why does Ford call for such a thin oil? They use 5w20 for "fuel efficiency requirements" is what im told by numerous people, and i should go with 5w30. Would there not be any mechanical reasons to run only 5w20? 5w30 isn't that much different, but there has to be more to the question of why they chose it?

Ford uses 20W for the CAFE benefits there is no other reason. . Oil keeps the parts separated.

While there are plenty of high mile 5.0s in existence that are doing well, there are also plenty with annoying engine noise (ticks etc) and recently, oil consumption, as per numerous truck forums. If I had a 5.0 I'd move it up a notch to a 5w30 without hesitation. And there are so many great oils in this weight range: Mobil1, in several flavors,Castrol Magnatec, PP and Valvoline. There's more than this of course, but these are readily available at your Wally World. I'd use and Motorcraft filter too.

If you are using a heavier grade for a band aid on a new engine you need to have the engine fixed by Ford. Also unless your logging your oil temps throughout your days of use everything is speculation.

I have pppp 5w20 with motorcraft filter on it now. 2014 5.0. Not that i want to go to 30w but rather would it be more beneficial? Would it possibly have better wear protection at all? Could it prevent the common engine tick? I know the new mustang gt's call for 5w20. The gt500 with the 5.2L calls for 5w50, however the 2013 Boss 302 called for 5w50. What i dont understand is Ford called for 5w50 in the mustangs when the workhorse f150 only gets 20w. Seems backwards to me.

I have pppp 5w20 with motorcraft filter on it now. 2014 5.0. Not that i want to go to 30w but rather would it be more beneficial? Would it possibly have better wear protection at all?....

I seriously doubt it...

Originally Posted by double vanos
While there are plenty of high mile 5.0s in existence that are doing well, there are also plenty with annoying engine noise (ticks etc) and recently, oil consumption

And also total timing chain failure.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by double vanos
While there are plenty of high mile 5.0s in existence that are doing well, there are also plenty with annoying engine noise (ticks etc) and recently, oil consumption

And also total timing chain failure.

How many are the plenty 100 out of a thousand or 3 of a thousand?

5w20 been recommended since 2002. Most oil companies have a 300k up to 500k warranty program. Quick lube and dealer uses 5w20 with millions of customers going hundreds of thousands of miles. It is amazing how many engine failures are from this terrible oil my vehicle manufacturer recommended.

If you drive it easy all the time then 5W-20 will work fine. But if you drive it hard at times, then 5W-30 will give a bit more protection because the oil film thickness between parts will be a bit thicker. Running 5W-30 all the time is what I'd do because it's not going to hurt to have a bit more protecton headroom.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Running 5W-30 all the time is what I'd do because it's not going to hurt to have a bit more protecton headroom.

I'd be doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
I have pppp 5w20 with motorcraft filter on it now. 2014 5.0. Not that i want to go to 30w but rather would it be more beneficial? Would it possibly have better wear protection at all?....

I seriously doubt it...

Of course there is going to be more wear protection. The debate is going to be will it matter.

I have pppp 5w20 with motorcraft filter on it now. 2014 5.0. Not that i want to go to 30w but rather would it be more beneficial? Would it possibly have better wear protection at all? Could it prevent the common engine tick? I know the new mustang gt's call for 5w20. The gt500 with the 5.2L calls for 5w50, however the 2013 Boss 302 called for 5w50. What i dont understand is Ford called for 5w50 in the mustangs when the workhorse f150 only gets 20w. Seems backwards to me.

I have a 2014 Mustang GT with the 5.0 and it recommends 5W-20 and that is what I use. I have no ticks or oil consumption and have almost 31,000 miles on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back