For now, I'm giving Mobil 1 the benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.
of the doubt. I'm skeptical but until someone comes out with bona-fide proof that they have changed I may still use their oil and filters.

I'm not. I trust Toms G.C. discovery more than XOMs marketing.
When my 8 liter M1 stash is gone I'm moving on.. unless I find M1 on sale
smile.gif

Ditto here. I have 12 quarts of M1 left and once it's gone I'm switching to TropArtic, MC, or PP in my Mazda. TropArtic already has a permanent home in my Taurus.

Quote:

I'm not. I trust Toms G.C. discovery more than XOMs marketing.
When my 8 liter M1 stash is gone I'm moving on.. unless I find M1 on sale
smile.gif

Me too, when my 24 quarts of M1 I bought last year for half price are gone in 2 years, I will move on to another brand. Unless I can get M1 for half price (or less than $2.50/quart) again.

Quote:

of the doubt. I'm skeptical but until someone comes out with bona-fide proof that they have changed I may still use their oil and filters.

What "bona-fide" proof do you need? You're not going to get a signed affidavit from EOM. A GC result from Hatco's lab is about as solid as it gets.

You can give them the benefit, but I'm not giving them any more of my money. And I was a life-long M1 user.

I can understand why many of you are switching. However, don't forget that M1 still contains PAO and Group IV esters/AN's. It's also important to realize that it is the finished product that matters. Not using an oil simply bc of the base oil is stupid. Not using it bc of the price is another story...

I'm not using it because it's a poor value at the price with that much GIII. And according to Tom's results, the PAO content is fairly insignificant. Where I run it, I run it in turbos and other more extreme environments and much prefer a PAO or Ester. I do pay more based on ingredients. And the UOAs aren't exactly spectacular anymore compared to cheaper alternatives.

So far it is only the EP oils that are shown to contain the Group III, right? The "classic" formula was always the better value anyway IMO. I'll stick with it until I see that it has been changed too.

Mobil 1 may still be an excellent oil even if there is a high percentage of Group III oil in it. The problem I have is that Exxon/Mobil is charging six dollars or more per quart for Mobil 1 and you can get other brands of synthetic oil that are probably mostly Group III for a lot less money. Furthermore if Exxon/Mobil have been trying to conceal changes in the formulation of Mobil 1 from customers I don't like being lied to.

There are a few things I like about Mobil 1. It is locally available and it has (still has as far as I know) a low pour point which I like for wintertime use. I use conventional oil the rest of the year-typically Chevron or Halvoline or Pennzoil although I am going to take a serious look at TropArtic. I checked at the TropArtic website and TropArtic 5W-20 and 5W-30 are now semi-synthetic. If TropArtic 5W-30 will flow good enough in the wintertime and it is nice and cheap I will use it. In fact if I like TropArtic and it is semi-synthetic I might use it year round except when I need to do a Auto-RX cleaning (the rinse oil needs to be conventional).

I still think PAO and POE are better , although Group III and GTL are adding new rules to the oil formulation process and top companies have unique technologies that allow them to jump ahead of our level of understanding.

But Mobil 1 made clear that Group III is semi synthetic, not full synthetic.

I bought Mobil 1 based on trust in the company and the Mobil 1 product, I buy Redline based on trust, I buy Castol Syntec 0W-30 [ GC ] based on tests and word of mouth.

I will now avoid Mobil 1 as I do most Castrol Syntec, and the most I will do is cherry pick Mobil 1's line like I do with Castrol GC.

It isn't the trick they may be pulling, it's the lack of an answer. They wanna give us a stiff-arm on the subject, they aren't getting any more of my money for their gasoline, either. Making a point to tell the auto parts store guys it isn't full syn anymore, too. Everyone needs to know.

Won't matter to them, we're just little peeps anyway. Still and all...

I'm sorry, but it is becoming clear to me. The current version of M1 15W-50 is unable to maintain the same oil pressure in my car when the oil temps climb. This points to a loss of VI. Plus my very casual freezer test shows the new M1 to be like honey or peanut butter at -10F.

Chris

Quote:

So far it is only the EP oils that are shown to contain the Group III, right? The "classic" formula was always the better value anyway IMO. I'll stick with it until I see that it has been changed too.

I know I am a new guy, and I DO NOT want to be labeled some troll or industry shrill account...

BUT. CRITICAL READING IS FUNDAMENTAL. And the above quote from Tones is key.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 was tested. It was found to have some group III components. OK. That's fine. That DOES NOT mean that ALL Mobil oils, including the regular synthetic Mobil 1 are EXACTLY the same. We simply CAN NOT jump to conclusions here. Until we have PROOF, we must not be a source of hearsay.

This is becoming frustrating, and some maturity would be appreciated.

Speaking of critical reading the 5w30EP was tested and shown to be primarily Mineral oil. Now look up the PDS and MSDS for the T&SUV 5w30, exp[lain the specs if that's supposed to be a primarily PAO oil why is the pour point where it is?
This forum hashes things out. Critical reading has been done and premature conclusions certainly were not drawn. Sorry if this soils your image of the brand, proof enough has been posted and circumstantial yet consistant verbage from Exxon1 has indicated the truth by omision.

SO to me I have seen that EP and 5w30 T&SUV are obviously non PAO. If you can cherry pick the real Mobil 1 please let everyone know which grades are the true Mobil1

Well, KJ obviously didn't read the thread before he gave XOM the benefit of the doubt and you must have missed the fact EP 5-30 was also tested and found "bad". A critical reading lapse there eh?
wink.gif

I agree there can't be judgement on the others without proof but isn't the EP line Mobil's most expensive product? Wouldn't you'd think they'd do the same on at least some of their cheaper oils? And does it really matter if any of the others are Grp III? Not to me. Scamming people on one product while keeping the others legit doesn't absolve them from where I sit. As I've said before, to me this isn't about product, it's about principle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back