Foam covering for K&N air filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patman, Any luck yet, on that cold air kit? Also, have you seen any feedback on the quality of the Accel foam filter itself?

Thanks for the tip! I'll have the entire winter to think about which route I'm going to take, as there is no need for me to do this modification until after the dragstrip reopens in the spring. I'd also be worried about running a higher flow air filter in the winter too, especially since they've already started putting down road salt here!!
mad.gif

I've asked around and it appears nobody seems to sell the Accel kit (although I didn't phone Calgary) A new twist appeared though, Canadian Tire sells the K&N FIPK right now for $260 CDN! That would be way cheaper than buying anything else new, even mail ordering. So I probably will wait until they have another sale on K&N stuff (which happens every month or two) and grab it next time (or in the spring, I'm in no hurry since the dragstrips won't reopen until April-although they are still open now and I'm racing one last time tomorrow!)

If you decide to explore the Accel route, I can assure you that Mopac usually destroys everyone else's pricing. They are a thousand km's from me and it's still usually worth my while to price them out. They don't stock the Accel filter products (large K&N wholesaler), but they can get them.

question...cool stuff guys...well i have a flat pannel filter in my car...i use a fram haha..do u think i can use one of those covers to cover my filter and catch most of the dirt...that would be cool and it would prolong the life of my filter riite...i dont really want to go k & n because im cheap

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
question...cool stuff guys...well i have a flat pannel filter in my car...i use a fram haha..do u think i can use one of those covers to cover my filter and catch most of the dirt...that would be cool and it would prolong the life of my filter riite...i dont really want to go k & n because im cheap

I don't think they have a foam wrap for the panel filters. Just get a foam panel filter, either Amsoil or Accel makes them.

well on that site that one guy posted here it showed the many makes and models of wraps..on the bottom of the page there is one that is custom size in that you cut yours to size...

http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm

go there then go down all the way and then there is a little someting there abotu universal fit..

would it benifit me

I think putting a foam wrap on a paper filter would be too restrictive though. I say just get a foam filter, I bet the foam panel filter costs the same as that foam wrap would anyways.

The British made ITG filters are triple layer foam and used in racing, such as the Indy 500. They apparently filter much better than K&N or S&B etc. I am considering one for the Explorer. Here is a link to the US Distributor.
http://www.coastfab.com/

I've decided that I am going to get the ITG filter since it will only be $20 more than K&N plus wrap, but can't afford it at the moment, so I purchased a Purolator filter for the Ford Mustang application. It happens to fit securely on my MAF so I can use that with my cold air system until I can afford the ITG.

[ November 09, 2002, 09:18 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

I found out this week that the K&N foam cover that would work for me (25-3502)has been discontinued.
frown.gif
Guess I'll just have to use my Outerwears Nylon cover & watch those Si #'s on analysis!

I've got cone style filter on my Kia Rio and a regular replacement filter in my 6.2L Blazer and a Holley in my Firebird. Since reading about the higher dirt levels associated with the K&N type filters I've added a foam pre-filter on my Blazer. On my Kia it was a little harder since it's a cone type.
Might have found a easy to get and inexpensive pre-filter for it. Dry-Vac pre filters! I found it at the local Wallmart. It is supposed to be for keeping the paper filters in dry-vacs cleaner and make em last a bit longer. Cost 3 bucks. It's fairly stretchy and fits the filter good even though it's cylinder shaped,not cone shaped. I have tried it for fit, next I'll oil it and test it with my G-Tech meter to see if I lose any power over just the filter. Don't think I will as the little Rio engine just doesn't take in much air. If that works out, I might try adding one of those real open type foam pre-filter for AC units on my Firehawk. That engine might might be a bit more picky about how much air it needs!
grin.gif

I'll let ya'll know.

Judd, the dry-vac: is that a shop vacuum, or what? Hmm...WM vacuum cleaner section...I was considering a window AC unit filter sheet, cut & stapled to fit a cone filter: ~5" bottom dia, 3" top dia, 7" long.

I have too switch to a 34 buck KN panel filter for the 02 car we have. Not going to spend the near same bucks for a factory replacement dealer only so FWIW I bought a UNI part #BF-1 Bulk foam that I can cut and make 3-4 prefilters out of for 12 bucks from a Motorcycle shop.
Guessing fuel milaege will tell me how much to preoil that thing? The foam prefilter that is.It is 5/8 thick but could not find a 1/4 inch material I would have prefered

[ November 19, 2002, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

After reading this thread, I'd be tempted to make a foam filter cover for my K&N cone ... it's just that my analysis have all come back with less than 15ppms of silicon in them ... and a lot of that number comes from Red Line's anti-foaming agent.

So, I don't see a problem with my K&N filter.
grin.gif

Anyway, I have some sheet foam with cells which look a little on the "open" side (large pores) and I can't imagine it would be too restrictive if I were to make a pre-filter wrap to catch some of the bits before they make it to the cotton gauze.

Hmmm ... maybe. I'll think about it for a while.

Anyway, Mmy Hondas and select other power equipment I have use a foam element wrapped around a paper element. This keeps the paper element cleaner, longer.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back