FNH,FNX-9mm OR S&W, M&P 9mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can`t decide on which one,shot both and both feel great in my hands. Please help!

Not to add to your dilemma...but own the H&K USP compact in .40S&W with LE trigger and tritium sights.

Great feel, nice accuracy and the most reliable pistol I have ever owned...about 5,000 rounds through it, never had a jam or feed issue...love the reliability, love the engineering, love the feel.

I prefer the .40 round to the 9mm - bigger, heavier bullet with much greater energy, closer to the .357 magnum for stopping power. The 9mm is great for carrying lots of rounds, but the .40 allows you to double stack too, and you get the better ballistics...

H&K is not a cheap option, mind you...

Last edited:
I looked at the H&K today,very nice pistol but my hands are to big.

Rent these and a couple others at the range, then decide after shooting them.

Wayne

I shoot both already,and still can`t decide.I guess I`m looking for imput from owners of these pistols.

Thank`s

I guess it depends on what you like more. I'm impartial to stryker fired or hammer fired. M&P's are supposed to be great guns, but so are the FN's. I have an FNP-45 Tactical and I love it to death
smile.gif

9mm is not a whimpy round, contrary to popular opinion. I have a Sig and love it. What is best about 9mm is the low cost of ammo. I also have a Ruger convertible 38/357/9mm. 9mm has about the same recoil feel as the 38 special in that gun.

That said, it is obviously true that larger faster bullets have more impact - can't argue with physics. If you get a 40 look at those that will accept a 357 Sig barrel. That's an expensive, but very hot round in a semi auto.

Didn't answer your question, I'm not an S&W fan, I'll say that much. Just a personal thing.

Never said the 9 was wimpy...own some 9's as well...and enjoy shooting them. The big advantage of the 9 is the capacity.

If I were to pick a round to defend myself, the .41 Mag or the 10mm is about perfect in performance (I have spent a bit of time on the range with my kid brother's S&W 1006...great pistol...), but capacity is a bit limited with the .41 or the 10mm...so the .40 is a great balance between bullet weight, ballistics and capacity. It was derived from the 10mm when the FBI decided that the factory 10mm had too much snort for the majority of agents. And the 10 does bark a bit when you fire it...

If the USP compact is too small for your hands, did you look at the USP?

Not pushing you, love my S&W guns, but that H&K is like a Mercedes, so well designed and built...

I've own a few Smith and Wession M&P (both full size and compact) and have owned or own Glocks, Highpowers, XD (tactical), Ruger P85, P89, SR9c, Sig P226 and others and find the M&P to be right up there.

Can not beat their Customer Service IF needed, built in America (just in case someone with a stroke of a pen wants to ban imported weapons which is all that is needed
whistle.gif
) and since you have shot one, they are just great shooters.
01.gif

Since you asked only about those two, I'd choose (and have) the M&P. Luckily you can own more than one so get both!
grin2.gif

Take care and be safe! Bill

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Not to add to your dilemma...but own the H&K USP compact in .40S&W with LE trigger and tritium sights.
That's an excellent machine, very precise one. To really ad to the dilemma - try FiveseveN, and, who knows, you may forget about all of the above. it's one of few really modern ballistics on the market

The fiveseven is too much of a monopoly. Stick with the 9mm.

I have an XD and a G19. When you look among the quality 9mm's on the market, its a coin toss.

Pick one and enjoy.

In this case M&P is the best value and made here. Smooth trigger, magazine release, choice of backstraps.

As for caliber preferences, there is no 5.7 monopoly. Get on with the times. it's like format wars in photography for the past 150 years, never ending story.

Originally Posted By: Y_K
In this case M&P is the best value and made here. Smooth trigger, magazine release, choice of backstraps.

As for caliber preferences, there is no 5.7 monopoly. Get on with the times. it's like format wars in photography for the past 150 years, never ending story.

On ammunition there is. FN is the only supplier for brass. I'm hoping over the next couple of years other manufacturers produce loads for it so it can be had cheaper. Anyone can load it, it uses .224" diameter bullets. Two or three other manufacturers now make 5.7x28mm firearms

Originally Posted By: Pablo
9mm is not a whimpy round, contrary to popular opinion. I have a Sig and love it. What is best about 9mm is the low cost of ammo. I also have a Ruger convertible 38/357/9mm. 9mm has about the same recoil feel as the 38 special in that gun.

That said, it is obviously true that larger faster bullets have more impact - can't argue with physics. If you get a 40 look at those that will accept a 357 Sig barrel. That's an expensive, but very hot round in a semi auto.

Didn't answer your question, I'm not an S&W fan, I'll say that much. Just a personal thing.

Most FBI/IWBA protoclol tests show about the same penetration results from .357 sig as 9/40/45. I've found .357 harder to find thatn 5.7x28mm. I don't see what all the hubbub is about it.

Last edited:
I am wondering id the 357 Sig will die? It doesn't seem as popular as 9,40,45 and 38s. I had to send a Smith 442 for warranty repair last year and it was repaired and returned within 10 days .

FiveSeven ammo

9mm choices

even 357sig seems plentiful

The local wallyworld, and 3 local 'hobby' shops have an unlimited supply of 9mm, 40sw, and even 357sig.... none had fiveseven. Not everyone reloads. Most online stores have plenty of choices in 9/40/357s.
What other gun manufacturers have 5.7 pistols? List them please cause the round is very interesting, even if I don't care who the local gov't contract was awarded to.

SW M&P, FNH FHX, HK, CZ, G17, G26, G19, XD/XDM/Sub.....coin toss. Pick the one that feels best to you.

I think that the 357sig, even if not too popular, will be around for a long time. For the pocket pistol crowd, I wish that more mfg'rs would adapt the 25NAA/32NAA and Makarov.

Thank`s for the replies!I was all set on the fnx-9,but found out they don`t make holsters for them.M&P might be the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back