Flooded electric ratchet

JHZR2

Staff member
Yes, flooded, more or less. Had some tools in a plastic bin, spring downpours.... bin filled with water by an inch or so, ratchet head submerged... you probably get it.

Totally my mistake, forgot to put stuff away.

Good news is it dried and works fine. Bad news is this:

DB268A1A-3AFC-4ABF-AEA7-F9CE1D52AAEE.jpeg

I don’t know if there was a brownish grease in there to begin with, or if there is some level of rust on the internal parts. I’m sure I can take it apart, but not sure if something else might be a good move. Like dunking it in ATF or something. How would you proceed?

Don't those just have a snap ring holding the mechanism in place? Pull the snap ring off, pull it apart, clean it up, regrease, reassemble. They do have a generic brown grease in them usually.

There is evaporust, and several others now that the patent has expired you can use to clean the rust with no after corrosion.

I have had motors with the rotor locked by rust, a week submerged in that stuff, and dry it. Motor runs. Still runs several years later, no disassembly. Motor, bearings, windings, brushes etc. Just blew it out with air, and dried a week.

Try it.

Rod

Last edited:
There is evaporust, and several others now that the patent has expired you can use to clean the rust with no after corrosion.

I have had motors with the rotor locked by rust, a week submerged in that stuff, and dry it. Motor runs. Still runs several years later,

Try it.

Rod
As of now no signs of rust. Just nasty grease.

But others don’t necessarily share the idea that grease is best for this sort of stuff. Maybe because it’s an electric it doesn’t matter? Not like we’re moving at 2 degree arcs on sensitive fasteners with a tool like this...

I think I would try and get it hot, not too hot. But hot enough for long enough to get the moisture and any thinned out grease to leak out.
I would put a socket on it, and put it on a hot exhaust manifold bolt and let it heat sink a bit.

get some M1 diff oil in a Dixie cup. submerge the head in there and run it back and forth a few mins. change the oil and do it again till clear. wipe off and good as new. if you really want grease follow up with white lithium afterward.

Last edited:
So, a new issue emerged.

Put the battery in, it works perfect. Let it sit with battery (any battery), for more than a few seconds without turning it on, and it wont turn on. Dead. If I keep using it, not letting it sit with the battery in for more than maybe 30 seconds, and it will keep working fine. Let it sit with the battery in, not run, for more than 30 seconds and it won’t run again.

Seeems strange. Nothing gets hot. And it works perfect if it doesn’t “time out”.

Any ideas? I’m sure they won’t warranty it. It’s my fault anyway. Not sure if I can get a deitch or some other part. Dunno what part of need anyway. Ideas? Gets annoying to have to pull the battery out each time, especially if managing fasteners to install and only have two hands.

How difficult is it to disassemble?

I'm thinking the flooding displaced the grease, perhaps a lithium conductive grease and there is a small short, or more than one path for current to go.
Maybe you could clean all of the housing and motor contacts?

How difficult is it to disassemble?

I'm thinking the flooding displaced the grease, perhaps a lithium conductive grease and there is a small short, or more than one path for current to go.
Maybe you could clean all of the housing and motor contacts?
Good idea. Will look for videos on disassembly.

Back