8 foot tall leaning fence.

Fence was built after Hurricane Irma knocked down the old one.

So about 5.8 years old.

4x4 treated posts are hopefully set 4 feet deep.

In sand.

Think loose beach sand, easy to dig ankle deep with half an ankle twist/shuffle.

4x4 treated posts, 6 feet apart, mostly. Fence is leaning into our property from neighbor's, who refused to share fence replacement fence costs after Irma.

Ive found some concrete, about 10 inches below top level of loose sand. It appears to be about 12" wide cylinder around posts.

This sub sand area of treated pine post, above and into concrete, is still solid. No rot.

I've no idea how deep the posts, or concrete, actually go.

4 horizontal treated 2x4s join 4x4" treated vertical posts, with one screw each side , 3" long DeckMates.
~5.5" WIDE Vertical planks on opposite sides of 4 horizontaL 2x4's, ~ 3 Inch gaps.

Planks attached with galvanized nails from gun, too deep, with heads submerged more than halfway
HUrricane IAN leaned this fence over 16 inches at 8' tall on one end.

Top 2x4s, and their one screw, still holding, joinery just stretched.

Honestly, it held up well to the 110mph gusts.

It is still in good condition, just leaning over from 8+ hours of intense wind load and soft, saturated sand.

The leaning fence is on north side of property leaning south.

Neighbors adjacent fence to the west ,detached from ours. Been propped up since. I offered to reattach it but they are gonna replace their whole fence upto ours.
Good.

I have used leverage, 10' lumber, and and ratchet straps to force our fence upright, half a bubble the other way actually. It is flat and currently solid, but the diagonal lumber holding it vertical, is temporary.

I have squeezed the bowedstretched portions up top shut, with bar clamps.
The horizontal 2x4s are now solidly joined together end to end, and to the posts with numerous 3.5" deckmate screws.

When I leveraged fence back to vertical, the pivot point was at least 2' below ground.

A large gap opened up.

Loose sand fell in

Temporary Diagonal lumber exerting lots of force.

Nearly vertical Ratchet straps singing like guitar strings when plucked.
As much force applied as i could use by hand without gloves.

The goal is to have fence move as little as possible, when I loosen ratchet straps and remove 10' diagonals.

How would you proceed?

I can't easily gain access to other side of fence, and prefer to not have to. Don't know neighbors, don't want to.

I Can get hands under, digging into loose sand, mulch and leaves, but loosening sand at depth, on that side would be difficult and irritating.

Back