Flare Nut Wrenches

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no way I would have bought those Snap Ons.. Way out of my price range and you get fewer tools. I'm a shade tree mechanic anyways so my SK's will last me forever.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: RedVic
Flare Nut wrenches are one area you want to invest in the very best and that is Snap On.

Examine these carefully and you will see why that is probably not true.

Anyone know of a USA source for these Hazet wrenches? They look really well thought out, I do like the reinforced end as well as the double offset. That offset could move my hands much further away to get better leverage.

Last edited:
I've weighed all the options (including used on eBay), and have concluded that SK is probably the best compromise between quality and cost for me. I don't have the time or inclination to either piece together a set, or wait for the right auction to come up.

Any suggestions on where to obtain them? Zoro seems to have competitive pricing, and can be sweetened with a discount code. As a Grainger subsidiary, I think they're probably a safe business to buy from, but I'm open to other suggestions.

JensPutzier.com or Amazon.de, use Hazet 612N in the search. They offer 3 sizes now (10x11, 11x12, 13x14), not 4 (8x9 was discontinued).

SamstagSales.com is a US based seller, but you pay a higher price for the US based shop.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Flare Nut wrenches are one area you want to invest in the very best and that is Snap On.

Examine these carefully and you will see why that is probably not true.

Anyone know of a USA source for these Hazet wrenches? They look really well thought out, I do like the reinforced end as well as the double offset. That offset could move my hands much further away to get better leverage.

Its no problem to get -4 but no one is shipping to the USA on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.de/HAZET-612N-4-Offener-Doppelringschl%C3%BCssel-Satz/dp/B001C9ZNY6

So they are charging Snap On prices and don't even take enough pride in their product to put a nice finish on it. Sorry but Snap On is still top dog when it comes to flare nut wrenches.

For those who buy cheaper flare nut wrenches under the explanation that the quality is good enough won't be saying that when the ends spread and you round off that soft nut.

Snap On flair nut wrenches do not spread and get the job done the first time.

As for the comment about tools, my box is 95% Snap On, with the remaining 5% made up of Matco, Mac, Corwell, OTC, Gear Wrench, AST and a few KD specific items.

Metric Snap On flare nut wrench set: https://store.snapon.com/Double-End-Flar...m--P630591.aspx

SAE Snap On flare nut wrench set: https://store.snapon.com/Double-End-Flar...6--P630563.aspx

SAE open end flair nut wrench set Snap On: https://store.snapon.com/Open-End-and-Fl...8--P630726.aspx

Metric open end flair nut wrench set Snap On: https://store.snapon.com/Open-End-and-Fl...m--P630777.aspx

Last edited:
Europeans don't generally care for full polished they think it looks cheap, they do have a perfect satin finish.
So what if you have Snap-On so does every other broke mechanic with no cash making weekly payments.
lol.gif
Keep posting you are looking more foolish with every post.

Europeans don't generally care for full polished they think it looks cheap, they do have a perfect satin finish.
So what if you have Snap-On so does every other broke mechanic with no cash making weekly payments.
lol.gif

Europeans also love government cradle to grave care as well. Seeing as America is the greatest nation on earth I could care less what the Europeans like.

The only one looking foolish is you comrade when you dis Snap On wrenches. Now go run on down to Harbor Freight and buy another set of $6.99 wrenches.

lol.gif

Europeans also love government cradle to grave care as well. Seeing as America is the greatest nation on earth I could care less what the Europeans like.

The only one looking foolish is you comrade when you dis Snap On wrenches. Now go run on down to Harbor Freight and buy another set of $6.99 wrenches.

You're getting a little too defensive.

I'll pile on as a Snap Off basher as well, I own a set of claimed "Top Dog" and I wouldn't classify them as such. If you live in the rust belt (like I do) never take tool advise from somebody in Florida, they have no clue what rust is. My Snap Offs work no better then my made in Taiwan Dewalt set. My go-to set for rusted/corroded flare nuts is my Wright Tool set.

Originally Posted By: JC1
Sorry that's not a simple fact, the Hazet is reinforced to prevent flexing and the steel is the finest German tool steel which is acknowledged to be one of if not the finest tools steels in the world.
The Snap-On are good but the simple fact is there are other companies that make tools as good or even better.
I guess you wont ever know how good some tools are unless you leave the fan club and look.

You obviously never used these tools so your statement is worthless fan boy hype. I have and the Snap-On, like I said there is nothing wrong with the Snap-On, its a high quality tool but there is nothing about it that makes it better.

Trav,

Do those wrenches allow you to press down while twisting and or make sure the nut isn't going to slip out under removal? I've only done rear lines once last year on my 97 civic and those nuts were so corroded that I just cut the lines and used a vice grip to remove the stubborn nut. I had to replace the lines anyhow.

Yes that's exactly what they do, the metal cutout prevents the fitting from sliding off the hex and also reinforces the jaws from spreading. That isn't an issue with a Hazet wrench but it does make the tool more robust and stronger than it probably ever needs to be.
As you say if the line is toast then cutting it off at the fitting and using a 6pt socket on it is the easiest and best way t remove it.

The only minus point to these wrenches is the price, they cost more than Snap-On in the US because there is no official outlet that I am aware of, only private resellers who have loony markups.

Thanks Travis,

As usual you rock!!!!

lol.gif

Show me where I "dissed" Snap-On, you need to stop trolling. I know its fun and all that and I do get a laugh at the stupidity (I hope you are not really this stupid) but it gets old when its so obvious.

Trav said:
Now go run on down to Harbor Freight and buy another set of $6.99 wrenches.

Please stop. Trav has probably dished out as much HF hate here as anybody.
You need to spend some time and read some of Trav's posts instead of replying to what you think he has posted.
Or are your posts a veiled brag that most of your tools are Snap-Ons?

That's true but I have to say they have really upped the ante with their ratchets. IMO Made in Taiwan is nothing to be wary of and there is no good reason not to buy their products, they are fair trading partners.
Their Snap-On clone, extendable 1/2 and composite ratchets are possibly the best value for the money on the market along with the breaker bar. One of the best 1/4 ratchets I own and I own them all SO, Hazet, Stahlwille, Facom, etc is the made in Taiwan Triangle brand and a old made in USA Master Mechanic brand from Ace hardware I bought in 1984.

https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/china/taiwan

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I bought mine at Tool Topia.

Thanks.

Does the U.S. Constitution protect Freedom of Tool Choice?

[That's a rhetorical question :D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back