Looking for a new torque wrench

Icon split beam could be a contender. I like the flex head for clearing sidewalls without catching my knuckles. No need to store at zero.

Is not reversible, which is virtually never a problem

I suspect the Tekton is nearly the same. I have this Tekton and love it. Bought the 3/8" and 1/2" combo (not the link below):

I did see Trav mention these in an older post (Norbar copies), but if you look at Amazon reviews you'll see quite a few photos of sheared off rectangular drive thingy (not sure what the correct term for it is). Made in China.
Do you use one?
Yes, I have the 250 ft pound model. The reason is that I have been in the calibration business since 1973 and the wrenches where you line up marks on the barrel have a big problem: sometimes the manufacturing is not exact and you can't really tell where the wrench is set. With the eTork wrench there is no doubt where the wrench is set. If you store your wrench in a box or rocks or use it as a hammer, the eTork is not for you. If you treat it like a piece of precision measurement equipment you'll be a happy camper.

I have this exact torque wrench, excellent quality! I got lucky buying it a couple years ago before the supply chain issues, it was more than half that price! But I'd say this torque wrench is the best I've ever used.

I have this exact torque wrench, excellent quality! I got lucky buying it a couple years ago before the supply chain issues, it was more than half that price! But I'd say this torque wrench is the best I've ever used.
That's the problem and I believe in other threads even @Trav has alluded to this: it's a nice piece but they're awfully proud of it at today's pricing.

If video evidence is to be believed it's difficult to see what exactly you're getting for the extra cost.

And for the record I'm not a HF fan boi and in general I think the ICON line is overpriced smoke 'n mirrors-- but for the moment their split beam TW seems to be the exception (shrug)

Check out digital torque adapters. I considered getting one a few days ago, but couldn't find one with a lower torque range of the 1/4 inch torque wrenches. They're kind of bulky but are accurate. They run upwards of fifty bucks, and you'll need a long ratchet or flex handle.
I had one 10 or so years ago. I really liked it (met its demise when it failed and I was having a bad day, and I took it out on it rather than whatever I was truly mad about). I found it great on lug nuts: once they were more than finger tight, it's not much to go from zero to 90 ft-lbs. So I would angle the readout upward, tighten all 5 to 30, then go back and do all to 60, and then go back and do all to 90. And never touch anything! No turning a knob, no changing settings.

Tempted to buy another one, just for this purpose, as my who knows how old HF 150 ft-lb 1/2" drive is missing parts and I'm not sure what is keeping it going.

Reactions: D60
Well, the E-torq survived it's first day up to 166 lbft; gotta find target practice.
It's 20" long vs 18" for HB cheapo, 2" makes quite the difference :).
The dial graph seems a bit wobbly - maybe that's why it's a refurb?
My main issue with it - is that it has a plastic handle and the instructions say to only apply torque to the grip section; those 2 things would rule out increasing leverage with a pipe.
I barely held off buying the Icon this weekend, tax man takes everything.

Well, the E-torq survived it's first day up to 166 lbft; gotta find target practice.
My main issue with it - is that it has a plastic handle and the instructions say to only apply torque to the grip section; those 2 things would rule out increasing leverage with a pipe.
Never use a pipe on a torque wrench. Ever.

Never use a pipe on a torque wrench. Ever.
Didn't know that, thanks!

ALL torrque wrenches work properly only when you apply pressure on the designated place on the handle. Using a pipe or "choking up" on the handle will give inaccurate results.

ALL torrque wrenches work properly only when you apply pressure on the designated place on the handle. Using a pipe or "choking up" on the handle will give inaccurate results.
How do the internals of the wrench know where it's being pulled on? It's just measuring the difference between handle force and the anvil.

It may vary based on the type of wrench, but I have all of my clickers marked 12" from the anvil, and will pull at that point using a fish scale to verify calibration. It always comes in pretty close to where it is supposed to.

How do the internals of the wrench know where it's being pulled on? It's just measuring the difference between handle force and the anvil.

It may vary based on the type of wrench, but I have all of my clickers marked 12" from the anvil, and will pull at that point using a fish scale to verify calibration. It always comes in pretty close to where it is supposed to.
I suspect because things flex differently. I have calibrated torque wrenches professionally since 1973. All the cal procedures say to apply the pressure at the correct spot. If you don't, it does make a difference. Technically, you should measure from the center of the handle and do the math.

Back