Looking for a new torque wrench

I'll start by saying that I ruined the ratcheting teeth on my cheapo HF torque wrench (20-150 lbft one) while torquing the Expedition lug nuts to 150lbft. They gave me a new one, still in box, might sell it for cheap. The ruined one has been good for the 14 years I've had it, although I didn't necessarily explore the upper torque range.

I want to buy a torque wrench that fits my needs better:
-longer handle - at least 24"; I'm tired of scraping knuckles on tires and I'm not particularly strong or with a top shape back. Pipes get cumbersome...
-at least 250 lbft max torque - due to having to work on a full size truck now; 400 lbft or more would be even better, as some suspension nuts need 406 lbft
-money is an issue
-1/2" drive or even 3/4" for a big one. Might end up buying 2 eventually.

Plan B is the Tekton 25-250 at $72 (https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-drive-micrometer-torque-wrench-24340).
Anything better around this price range? I do not wrench for a living, my wife might even call fixing her car my hobby LOL.
I see a used Husky at $50, but who knows how it's been stored or how many times dropped, not sure a used torque wrench is a good idea.
I see some people like Norbar, but they seem short and low torque and of course pricy.
Thanks!

Icon split beam could be a contender. I like the flex head for clearing sidewalls without catching my knuckles. No need to store at zero.

Is not reversible, which is virtually never a problem

Thanks, I didn't realize the split beam types don't need to be stored at minimum tension. For roughly the same price, Tekton has one too https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-drive-split-beam-torque-wrench-trq62203.

+1 The Icon seems very competitive. I have the one from Precision and it has been flawless for years. The one from Icon has a walk in lifetime warranty which is a good thing.

Thanks, I was convinced you were a HF hater, Horror Freight is what you called them :)
The same youtuber made a Tekton video as well:

Last edited:
Thanks, I didn't realize the split beam types don't need to be stored at minimum tension. For roughly the same price, Tekton has one too https://www.tekton.com/1-2-inch-drive-split-beam-torque-wrench-trq62203.
Yeah there's an infamous YT shootout where the Tekton wasn't all that accurate. Supposedly Tekton was concerned and corrected the issue with production.

Honestly, the Tekton is probably fine unless you're measuring pinion bearing preload or building the next space shuttle

The Tekton is durable and suitable for occasional use. I would not want to use it all day long. The knurled locking knob on the handle gets annoying quickly if you have to keep changing the torque setting.

Last edited:
Check out digital torque adapters. I considered getting one a few days ago, but couldn't find one with a lower torque range of the 1/4 inch torque wrenches. They're kind of bulky but are accurate. They run upwards of fifty bucks, and you'll need a long ratchet or flex handle.

Check out digital torque adapters. I considered getting one a few days ago, but couldn't find one with a lower torque range of the 1/4 inch torque wrenches. They're kind of bulky but are accurate. They run upwards of fifty bucks, and you'll need a long ratchet or flex handle.
You beat me to it. I was going to mention torque adapters as well since I saw several videos of them yesterday. I bought a Tekton 1/2" torque wrench last fall to replace my old HF one that just quick working. I'll probably only use the Tekton, like the old HF one, to torque lug nuts. Had I seen those videos before my Tekton purchase, I might have gone with a torque adaptor instead.

Thanks, I was convinced you were a HF hater, Horror Freight is what you called them :)
The same youtuber made a Tekton video as well:

My opinion of HF is not very high most of their products are low end and poor quality but there are the occasional exceptions but some stuff is definitely getting better.

https://etork.com/product-category/clear-view-torque-wrench/ These ETORK wrenches are of very good quality, sell for around $50, and are very easy to set. The wrenches that you read by the marks on the barrel can be hard to set.
I did see Trav mention these in an older post (Norbar copies), but if you look at Amazon reviews you'll see quite a few photos of sheared off rectangular drive thingy (not sure what the correct term for it is). Made in China.
Do you use one?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 10
While I hate cheap tools and pretty much regret any ones I have ever bought, the return policy and low price of the Icon/Quinn seems to make a compelling case for many. And there are a lotta HF stores around...

I've been afraid of anything like that since the old Craftsman DigiTork which had a similar display in the handle.

This was over 20 years ago and I was young and broke. The handle on mine spun -- seemed like a failed epoxy or adhesive -- and then you had NO frame of reference and accuracy was a complete guess.

I learned just never, ever buy a Cman TW. Unlike most Cman tools it only had a year (or 90 day?) warranty. I understand not warrantying calibration but this was a manufacturing/workmanship defect.

Again, it was a bigger deal because I was young and broke and the value of $ was very different for me. I bought what should have been an investment in a decent TW and got junk.

I'm not saying the E-Torks will suffer the same fate, but I've never trusted that style since. Lots of plastic in the handle.

The Quinn 3/4" drive torque adapter seems like a good deal, probably hard to use with a breaker bar (that I already have), have to buy a 3/4" ratchet too.
That said, for 1/2" I want a torque wrench, don't want to have a stroke while messing around (and cursing) with the adapter on lug nuts. I only have a stubby 1/2" ratchet any way :).

Back