Five Guys Burgers and Fries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I blame this on this thread:
smashburger.jpg

...and Smashburger is right next to the practice fields where my son had just finished Little League practice.

I'm serious. I do not go to McDonalds, Wendy's, Carl's Jr, or Burger King anymore. Why would I?

Originally Posted By: BrownBox88
I'm sure some of you are wondering, what type of people come in that I see everyday or on a normal basis? SNOBS. Very few customers were nice. And the ones that were nice dropped MASSIVE tips in the jar.

I had lunch at Five Guys and Fries yesterday..It was the one on Washington Ave in Miami Beach..No complaints!

I was talking to the manager while I was there..He said a lot of customers are South Americans who really like Five Guys and tip VERY WEll..I showed him your comments on the SNOBS that go there [in your neck of the woods] and he was very surprised to see that.

Originally Posted By: Iain
Originally Posted By: Chris142

I never understood the in-in-out thing here. Ain't nuthin remarkable about that place. Horribly average and tiny portions.

You should become aware of the KISS concept then.
grin.gif

That's what In-N-Out is about.

Dont know that five guys is any more/less simple. In and out is cheaper, but smaller burgers (five guys standard is two patties).

ive never understood why people love in and out so much. On the east coast it is just because it is cool because it is a CA thing, so tey put a sticker on their car and say how great it was when they got one in CA.

The main thing I don't like isn't the food or the prices but the dining atmosphere of the store. The music is aweful and too loud and I like rock music. Then the decor and layout is bad. It reminds of a public restroom. Uncomfortable chairs, bad lighting and seating in a small, open space, no drive through. It just seems kind of cheap and cheesy.

Good burgers, horrible fries. Been once may never go back. Lots of places to get a really good burger.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think the cajun fries are a little better if you like spicy.

There is a cajun fry option at five guys?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The one in Miami Beach has that option..It is awesome if you like it spicy like mechanicx says.

The burgers we got weren't that greasy/fatty/heavy. Fries were damp though.

I'd imagine that drainage on the grill is important...

Grill? I thought Five Guys only used a skillet-style cooking surface?

...ive never understood why people love in and out so much. On the east coast it is just because it is cool because it is a CA thing, so tey put a sticker on their car and say how great it was when they got one in CA.

I did see David Lee Roth at an In-N-Out while visiting some friends in California.
Limo pulled up. Long haired guy goes into the bathroom. On our way out, he comes out of the bathroom and says in that signature raspy "homalabebulazeebahlah bop" voice, "What's up dudes?" gets into the limo and the driver hops in and drives off.

That's the best thing I remember about In-N-Out in California.
crackmeup2.gif

Yeah they have cajun fry option here. I actually got them earlier today.

Spazdog, that's cool that you ran into David Lee Roth. He was my favorite rock frontman. What year was this, I don't think he has long hair anymore?

It was around 1993. Might have been an impersonator but if so, he was a dead-ringer for "Diamond Dave" and was doing well enough to hire a limo....even if he did have to go to the bathroom at an In-N-Out.

NOTHING is special about Five Guys. It's all in the bun that makes a difference. Other than that guys, it's plain jane stuff.

I've only been once. Meat was juicy and flavorful. Can't comment on the bun or fries because I don't eat them.

I also don't understand the "too pricey" comments. McD's is cheaper, not as good. Bobby Flay's burger place is more expensive, better. Five Guys seems a decent enough value.

Trouble is, an order of a cheeseburger (5.99) and fries (2.99) will set you back 9.+ dollars at Five Guys. The gastropubs in Philly will all serve you better pub-style burgers (and you can choose your level of done-ness) with fries from anywhere from 8-12 dollars.

DSC_0004.jpg

Just went to a Five Guys for the first time on Tuesday (N. 1st St., San Jose location).

I ordered the hamburger "all the way" (hold the tomato...tomatoes suck anymore) and a small regular fries. I figured it would be best to judge their food with just the basics.

The burger was quite large; the patties didn't seem overcooked, but they were dry. I think this might have something to do with the weight they put on them while they're getting fried. While eating the burger, the patties just kind of crumbled apart. The patties weren't seasoned at all; the bare meat did taste OK, not funky like some patty meat.

The order of fries was pretty large. The guy filled the small cup and then before handing over the bag, he threw another scoop on top of everything. The fries weren't anything to write home about (so I'm writing it here). They seemed overcooked but the insides were still soft and fluffy. They weren't seasoned at all and tasted like they were fried in old oil; kind of had a burnt taste.

The "free" roasted peanuts were kind of puzzling.

Total price: +$10 with a bottle of water.

Overall, I was not impressed.

I thought that their fries, salty, decent amount of oil, and with skin on were pretty good.

Cant say that the patty was bad, though my wife makes the most tasty burgers because she puts onions and some spices in with the meat... So nothing is as good as that. But I wouldnt say the meat on a 5G was bad or not tasty...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back