First vacation since COVID19

If you travel overseas expect to be at the mercy of the employees at the airline, airport, customs, hotel, etc…

I only want to travel inside the USA until the illness goes away.

My son took a little trip to Florida for two weeks. Three hours early at airport and barely made the flight. Spent two weeks in FL and got Covid19, he is vaccinated and boosted, just the feelings of a head cold. Trip back TSA was so slow he missed flight back and was again there three hours early. I'm just staying home this year and put the trip money into the house.

TSA employees really don’t care if people miss their flights. Sometimes I think they do it on purpose to show travelers they are the ‘boss’ and work at a snails pace.

You don't need a VAC card to cross state lines. It seems to me that was one of the excuses for selling your RV and there were probably other reasons. Your number one reason was probably (being an RVer myself) is that it takes alot of work to vie for the RV spots out there because everybody and their brother has an RV. Too many RV's not enough camping spots.
The lack of spots was a consideration but it was state regulations on were you had to wear a mask or when and what places wanted a VAC card to get in and how many places just went out of business or even some places not allowing people that did not live there to come in or locals giving out of state plate people a hard time. I know it was not real common but I did not want to deal with any of it. Of course in hind sight it would not have seen many miles with the current gas prices either.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with travel. Since COVID began, travel has been…interesting. My wife, our best friend, and I have taken advantage of the chaos and cheap airfares. We visited 22 different states and 8 National Parks since March 2020. Each time we would go out, our friend would fly separately from us because he lives several states away; without failure, on his return leg, he would always get dumped by whatever carrier he flew several hours away from his origin. Such is life nowadays.

It's almost mandatory to have a charged cell phone and charging cord for anything to do with overseas airport travel. From scheduling a covid test, receiving the results, filling in a US gov covid attestation. Talking (or on hold for hours) with airline or cruise customer service. Without a charging cord I would have blown through a fully charged cell battery while on hold.

Getting a covid19 test at the airport (one is required to return to the US) is a two hour ordeal after scheduling the covid19 test.

Security very slow at Heathrow airport. And annoying. Terminal 5 is so big you need to take a tram from terminal to actual gate area. Add another 15 minutes.

Leisure relaxing vacation?

This brings back memories from when wife and I went on honeymoon out of the country this time last year. Her covid19 test was lost by the lab and we were about to lose out on our flight and first couple nights of honeymoon. We stressed the day after our wedding and ran around to find a lab that would do a test within 24 hours. Then the hoops to jump through….

We decided we are only traveling domestically from now on and via car if at all possible.

Hopefully things get better soon…

I understand there are more issues traveling overseas. It's a hassle. But there are many places in Europe I have not seen. I am 68, if not now when?

I am 15 minutes from Delaware beach and have lifetime pass to state park so I can go to the beach & ocean any day I want.

An example:

How do you see the beauty and magnificence of this cathedral without visiting it. Over 150 years to construct. The architect who designed it realized he would die before it was finished so he built models to show how the intricate parts would fit together. Some workers spent their entire career working on the cathedral.

That really sucks :(

My wife and I went to Costa Rica last month and quite frankly it was totally like normal times other than wearing masks on the plane. Didn't even need to test anywhere.

We have another trip booked for September for S. Africa and Botswana. Hope it's just as easy.

If you travel overseas expect to be at the mercy of the employees at the airline, airport, customs, hotel, etc…

I only want to travel inside the USA until the illness goes away.
I just got back from a pretty long trip to Europe, through Spain and Portugal. Without a doubt, the biggest pita was getting back into the US and dealing with customs. It was also they only place I actually needed a covid test (and the window is really short, 24 hours before boarding a plane back to the US.

Once you get to an EU location, you can move around Europe pretty easily--so, it can definitely be done.

I'd say if you're waiting for the illness to totally go away, you'll never travel anywhere in your lifetime. It's here to stay, so best to just try and work with it.

Care to rate them, for planning purposes. I am familiar with Cape Henlopen.
Well if you have young kids, the Delaware Bay is warmer and calmer. So Lewes Beach. Cape Henlopen is on the ocean and large beaches and parking lots. Rehoboth Beach has a boardwalk and hard to park if you are not staying there. Very touristy. Dewey Beach is below Rehoboth Beach and is a more upscale area. And Ocean Beach MD not far away either.

We avoid the beaches all together on Saturday.

Lewes Beach will not have lifeguards this summer, trouble recruiting.

Wife and I typically go to Cape Henlopen. Nice beach, easy to get in and out and typically not super crowded.

Many of these beaches sustained significant damage about 2 weeks ago from storm erosion.

Back