First major repair on the 2019 RAM

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Yesterday my wife and son come home and my son informs me that the truck is making a weird whooshing sound and that he thinks it is dripping coolant. Says the temperature gauge was still fine though and there were no warning lights.

I come outside, apparently she only drove it a couple blocks after it started making the noise, as she wasn't far from the house. Slide under the truck, signs of coolant down the front of the engine, it's dripping off the trans cooler lines. Wife wants to drive it up to the dealer, I tell her to hold on, it's not going anywhere until I'm able to determine how severe the situation is.

Grab a gallon jug of 50/50 Mopar coolant from the basement, whole thing goes in the rad, still can't see the coolant.

That's not good.

Then my son advises me that it's dripping. I look back under the truck, it appears to be coming out from behind the water pump pulley and flowing down the trans lines, dripping right at the bellhousing, and at a pretty decent rate.

Call my insurance for Roadside, discover I only have it on the Jeep 🤡 Say it's $150 to tow it.

Call FCA roadside, they tell me the warranty expired in February, ask if I want a price, I say yes, it's $100. Agree to that, wait for the tow truck.

Tow truck driver gets in the truck and lights up the bloody tires! :mad: Wife is (understandably) livid.

Meet them at the dealership, ask my buddy if he can see if Stellantis will goodwill it, he tells me no problem. He puts my wife in his GC Overland 4xe.

Get a call back from Service later that afternoon, Stellantis is covering it, but I have to pay for a hose. I'm fine with that. She picked it up this afternoon.

I know the 5.7L HEMI's are somewhat notorious for water pumps, but 60,000 miles surprised me. At least they covered it however.

Yesterday my wife and son come home and my son informs me that the truck is making a weird whooshing sound and that he thinks it is dripping coolant. Says the temperature gauge was still fine though and there were no warning lights.

I come outside, apparently she only drove it a couple blocks after it started making the noise, as she wasn't far from the house. Slide under the truck, signs of coolant down the front of the engine, it's dripping off the trans cooler lines. Wife wants to drive it up to the dealer, I tell her to hold on, it's not going anywhere until I'm able to determine how severe the situation is.

Grab a gallon jug of 50/50 Mopar coolant from the basement, whole thing goes in the rad, still can't see the coolant.

That's not good.

Then my son advises me that it's dripping. I look back under the truck, it appears to be coming out from behind the water pump pulley and flowing down the trans lines, dripping right at the bellhousing, and at a pretty decent rate.

Call my insurance for Roadside, discover I only have it on the Jeep 🤡 Say it's $150 to tow it.

Call FCA roadside, they tell me the warranty expired in February, ask if I want a price, I say yes, it's $100. Agree to that, wait for the tow truck.

Tow truck driver gets in the truck and lights up the bloody tires! :mad: Wife is (understandably) livid.

Meet them at the dealership, ask my buddy if he can see if Stellantis will goodwill it, he tells me no problem. He puts my wife in his GC Overland 4xe.

Get a call back from Service later that afternoon, Stellantis is covering it, but I have to pay for a hose. I'm fine with that. She picked it up this afternoon.

I know the 5.7L HEMI's are somewhat notorious for water pumps, but 60,000 miles surprised me. At least they covered it however.
Good you're covered.

That's not good.

You won't be the 1st to get a bum water pump. Don't ask me how I know. It's the only problem I've had with our TSX.

I’m surprised at the short life. I pulled the WP in our 2014 Odyssey with 100k and the pump looked like new. Like there was no reason to change it, but I did.

I was surprised. It had an o ring type seal that I think works much better.

It will be interesting to see what was the root cause on this one.

How is the job? I had no idea, but our director drives a '19 Rebel with well over 100k now.

Now I've got one more thing to worry about!

I’m surprised at the short life. I pulled the WP in our 2014 Odyssey with 100k and the pump looked like new. Like there was no reason to change it, but I did.

I was surprised. It had an o ring type seal that I think works much better.

It will be interesting to see what was the root cause on this one.
Bearing failed (hence the noise) which then led to leaking, very quickly.

Good to hear it was taken care of as good will.

I do wonder if it was weeping for a while and it was missed or if it just sprung a leak all of the sudden? Is it in a visible location?
On the DT, there's no mechanical fan, and the engine is set back with the front of the engine very visible, there's also no underbody cladding, so if it was leaking enough to drip, it would have gone right on the driveway.

I was surprised, I'm used to them weeping for a while, usually you smell coolant, and then see coolant. This was like nothing to total failure in 10 minutes, lol. The bearing failed, which, apparently, was not a slow failure.

Back