First major repair on the 2019 RAM

Yesterday my wife and son come home and my son informs me that the truck is making a weird whooshing sound and that he thinks it is dripping coolant. Says the temperature gauge was still fine though and there were no warning lights.

I come outside, apparently she only drove it a couple blocks after it started making the noise, as she wasn't far from the house. Slide under the truck, signs of coolant down the front of the engine, it's dripping off the trans cooler lines. Wife wants to drive it up to the dealer, I tell her to hold on, it's not going anywhere until I'm able to determine how severe the situation is.

Grab a gallon jug of 50/50 Mopar coolant from the basement, whole thing goes in the rad, still can't see the coolant.

That's not good.

Then my son advises me that it's dripping. I look back under the truck, it appears to be coming out from behind the water pump pulley and flowing down the trans lines, dripping right at the bellhousing, and at a pretty decent rate.

Call my insurance for Roadside, discover I only have it on the Jeep 🤡 Say it's $150 to tow it.

Call FCA roadside, they tell me the warranty expired in February, ask if I want a price, I say yes, it's $100. Agree to that, wait for the tow truck.

Tow truck driver gets in the truck and lights up the bloody tires! :mad: Wife is (understandably) livid.

Meet them at the dealership, ask my buddy if he can see if Stellantis will goodwill it, he tells me no problem. He puts my wife in his GC Overland 4xe.

Get a call back from Service later that afternoon, Stellantis is covering it, but I have to pay for a hose. I'm fine with that. She picked it up this afternoon.

I know the 5.7L HEMI's are somewhat notorious for water pumps, but 60,000 miles surprised me. At least they covered it however.
Actually, if your truck is running hot it's just because of record weather temps.

DuDE HaVEN't yOu watchED the NEwS??!!??

Overkill, you are lucky that your wife and son shut it down before severely overheating the engine and possibly ruining the engine. There are plenty of people who would have done that.

That she wanted to drive it to the dealer indicates that you were very lucky.
Yes, I thought so as well.

Clarifying question: if it was the WP - and Stellantis covered it - then why did you have to pay for a hose?

Sounds like a Goodwill repair - so Stellantis gets to pick and choose what gets covered.
Understood; I should've clarified my clarification question further. Why did a hose need to be replaced? Is it one-time use or was it damaged?

I wouldnt call a water pump a major repair, but looking at this gates photo there are certainly a few opportunities for leaks.

1718707327736.jpg

Yesterday my wife and son come home and my son informs me that the truck is making a weird whooshing sound and that he thinks it is dripping coolant. Says the temperature gauge was still fine though and there were no warning lights.

I come outside, apparently she only drove it a couple blocks after it started making the noise, as she wasn't far from the house. Slide under the truck, signs of coolant down the front of the engine, it's dripping off the trans cooler lines. Wife wants to drive it up to the dealer, I tell her to hold on, it's not going anywhere until I'm able to determine how severe the situation is.

Grab a gallon jug of 50/50 Mopar coolant from the basement, whole thing goes in the rad, still can't see the coolant.

That's not good.

Then my son advises me that it's dripping. I look back under the truck, it appears to be coming out from behind the water pump pulley and flowing down the trans lines, dripping right at the bellhousing, and at a pretty decent rate.

Call my insurance for Roadside, discover I only have it on the Jeep 🤡 Say it's $150 to tow it.

Call FCA roadside, they tell me the warranty expired in February, ask if I want a price, I say yes, it's $100. Agree to that, wait for the tow truck.

Tow truck driver gets in the truck and lights up the bloody tires! :mad: Wife is (understandably) livid.

Meet them at the dealership, ask my buddy if he can see if Stellantis will goodwill it, he tells me no problem. He puts my wife in his GC Overland 4xe.

Get a call back from Service later that afternoon, Stellantis is covering it, but I have to pay for a hose. I'm fine with that. She picked it up this afternoon.

I know the 5.7L HEMI's are somewhat notorious for water pumps, but 60,000 miles surprised me. At least they covered it however.
Wow only $100 for a tow? I think I paid that rate two years ago and that was using someone who gave me a discount because I helped them out. How do gaskets fail with such frw miles on them or is this a one off?

Back