First major repair on the 2019 RAM

I agree. A water pump is potentially a "show stopper" and not easily swapped on the side of the road so I'd say it's major.
Right, I have crawled under cars and trucks in parking lots to change out a few starters for people but a water pump is NOT an easy ... jump in there and swap out. Especially for any older person not in tip top physical shape. A mechanic buddy with low back issues showed me a neat trick he used at times. He had a drum and a board with cushion on it to set up where he could lay on his belly to work under the hoods without killing his back. Eventually we both got a great laugh when we saw some auto parts/tool company started selling a similar set up minus the drum of course. :)

Last edited:
Wow only $100 for a tow? I think I paid that rate two years ago and that was using someone who gave me a discount because I helped them out. How do gaskets fail with such frw miles on them or is this a one off?
It was the bearing, not the gasket.

Did the internal seal fail and let coolant touch the bearings? Asking for a friend that goes 5 years between coolant drains. Did you check the pH level by chance?

Did the internal seal fail and let coolant touch the bearings? Asking for a friend that goes 5 years between coolant drains. Did you check the pH level by chance?
I can find out. I mean, it's not an uncommon failure on HEMI's, so I'm not exactly perplexed, thinking "how could this possibly happen?!" lol.

Hope it lasts longer? LOL

Consider it to be a maintenance item and would suggest 50k replacement. I recently went down the rabbit hole for Cummins 5.9 water pumps and found many failures at 70-100k. I was a little shocked with this, but most of my water pump experience has been Subaru, Honda and Toyota which regularly make it to 100k given if OEM parts are used.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
Consider it to be a maintenance item and would suggest 50k replacement. I recently went down the rabbit hole for Cummins 5.9 water pumps and found many failures at 70-100k. I was a little shocked with this, but most of my water pump experience has been Subaru, Honda and Toyota which regularly make it to 100k given if OEM parts are used.
Our '02 CTD is on its second wp in 310k miles??

That said, you pretty much could swap these on the roadside with a $10 socket set......

I read threads like this and am so thankful for my 'luck' with F150's. I clearly know they can have probs too, but not once have I been stranded or even had a failure despite driving up to 10K miles per month. A few flats though.

The worst thing was a popped AC compressor. Fixed it myself with an OEM compressor. Easy access below. Headlight bulb failures and 20 years ago, had to replace a heater core.

I read threads like this and am so thankful for my 'luck' with F150's. I clearly know they can have probs too, but not once have I been stranded or even had a failure despite driving up to 10K miles per month. A few flats though.

The worst thing was a popped AC compressor. Fixed it myself with an OEM compressor. Easy access below. Headlight bulb failures and 20 years ago, had to replace a heater core.
I too have had lots of luck with my Ford trucks. Full size Bronco and F150 both with the fine 5.0 engines. My last F150 was put thru some heavy duty , hi speed highway miles for several years. Only thing they each had a weakness for a simple cheap plastic gear going bad in the power windows I got so used to swapping out I could pop the door panels and fix them in no time.

Show her this. It happened just the other day to a guy who's on another website I belong to.

View attachment 225124

So the owner wasn't out of a Jeep for long. He got a replacement, which is helping ease the pain of watching his Jeep burn to the ground on the side of the Interstate.

The old one had the 2.0 E-torque engine. This one has the 392. He says this one will remain stock as seen in the pic for awhile.

IMG_20240620_175318.jpg

So the owner wasn't out of a Jeep for long. He got a replacement, which is helping ease the pain of watching his Jeep burn to the ground on the side of the Interstate.

The old one had the 2.0 E-torque engine. This one has the 392. He says this one will remain stock as seen in the pic for awhile.

View attachment 226328
The 392 Wrangers are TRX expensive! Last one I looked at here was $132,000 IIRC.

Anything from Jeep or even any newer off road vehicle model close to $120,000 , then I have to wonder:

#1 ) Where is it designed and manufactured?

#2 ) Profit margin per unit of that model for manufacturer?

$3 ) What is it exactly that goes into the total of the MSRP and the final out the door cost to the buyer?

The WHY? Because they know they can put just about any $price$ on it. There is always someone who will step right
up & sign the papers just as long as they can handle the payments (likely 7 yrs) and percent of interest on loan!
Odds are to that they will not even own it the duration before bailing out or trading it in.
From watching the results of so many auto auctions for several years now, I know one could walk away with a winning
bid on a pristine, #1 condition / 100 point perfect judged , ground up restored Ford Bronco / GMC Blazer / Pontiac Firebird /
TransAm / Ford Mustang / Chevy Camaro / Pontiac GTO / Buick GN / GSX Stage 1 or 2 / Plymouth RoadRunner / GTX / Mercury King Cobra etc..easy for that neighborhood of money. Any one of those would be not just a treasure but solid investment to rise in value while the Jeeps value usually goes in the other direction..... It is hard to believe that Jeep makers can actually turn profit on a model like that they are most certain not to sell in any kind of numbers compared to other comparable manufacturer's similar models so?

Last edited:
500hp EFI modern-ess, 8-10spd slushbox, in a 73-79 Bronco or 73-87 K5...with lockers front and rear, 35's or 37's and you'd would have a waiting list to buy. Maybe offer them with a zF 6 or NV 5600...drooling.....The 392 Jeep Wrangler will maintain stupid value unless wrecked.
PS the Bronco and K5 would be way WAY cooler and have character.

Back