First major repair on the 2019 RAM

Yesterday my wife and son come home and my son informs me that the truck is making a weird whooshing sound and that he thinks it is dripping coolant. Says the temperature gauge was still fine though and there were no warning lights.
... ... .

I know the 5.7L HEMI's are somewhat notorious for water pumps, but 60,000 miles surprised me. At least they covered it however.
Funny something similar happed in my driveway. I called an Electrician to trouble shoot some house juice issues, later upon him about to leave and as I finish writing him a check for his services, I notice coolant on the ground under hist truck. He says not to worry, I leave my truck running and the AC going. (!).

Well he left and I check the fluid; it wasn't evaporating, and it felt somewhat viscous between the fingers. So, I texted him and warned him. He said thank but I am good. A day later he texted me and said he was stuck on the highway with vehicle overheated and thank for the heads up.
As usual, no one listens to what Arco has to say, LOL.

Cool you got it fixed with some good will!

I believe there is an inherent problem with the Hemi water pumps or their design. My 2010 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 is at 120k miles now. It is on it's 4th water pump. 2 of the failed were Mopar, one a Gates. Last one, the Gates, blew with no warning just as wife and I pulled into hotel parking garage 225 miles from home. That made the weekend!
My 2017 Charger SRT at about 8500 miles starting making a noise I knew well and brought it to dealer and told them "it's the water pump". Thankfully, that was replaced under my extended warranty. Oy vey!

I believe there is an inherent problem with the Hemi water pumps or their design. My 2010 Jeep Commander with the 5.7 is at 120k miles now. It is on it's 4th water pump. 2 of the failed were Mopar, one a Gates. Last one, the Gates, blew with no warning just as wife and I pulled into hotel parking garage 225 miles from home. That made the weekend!
My 2017 Charger SRT at about 8500 miles starting making a noise I knew well and brought it to dealer and told them "it's the water pump". Thankfully, that was replaced under my extended warranty. Oy vey!
Wow our 2012 Ram 1500 is pushing 190k miles and no wp problems yet

On the DT, there's no mechanical fan, and the engine is set back with the front of the engine very visible, there's also no underbody cladding, so if it was leaking enough to drip, it would have gone right on the driveway.

I was surprised, I'm used to them weeping for a while, usually you smell coolant, and then see coolant. This was like nothing to total failure in 10 minutes, lol. The bearing failed, which, apparently, was not a slow failure.
This makes me feel better about changing the water pump on my Pentastar, as I was chasing a noise and found that the WP bearing was noisy (that didn’t fix the original noise though😞), but otherwise showed no signs of trouble.

I was on the jeep forums for a few years back in 2012, the hemi liked to munch on water pumps back then already, seems random, some guys go a long time without replacing them.

I keep wondering when mine with 226k will go. The Yukon lost his second at 215,k. Changed it myself in the driveway. Electric fans 4 bolts and a belt and 3 hoses.

Wife was trying to convince me to trade the SRT on a TRX so that she could get a Wrangler (we need a truck). I was like, noooooooo.

Show her this. It happened just the other day to a guy who's on another website I belong to.

20240613_124422.jpg

Just had my water pump go bad on my 2018 Hellcat. 42,000 miles. Was covered under my extended warranty. No leaks just a groaning which I thought was supercharger at first. Sthescope confirmed water pump. Tech said pump movement was bad. All good now. Hoping it lasts longer than 42,000 miles.

I keep wondering when mine with 226k will go. The Yukon lost his second at 215,k. Changed it myself in the driveway. Electric fans 4 bolts and a belt and 3 hoses.
I had a 5.3 wp start screaming. It spit two rollers up on the relatively huge land that is the top of the wp "area" (maybe around intake, also, I can't picture the exact layout ATM). Never leaked a drop, just screamed.

I haven't seen a cross section of those pumps but there must be two bearings.

Anyway, one of the weirdest wp failures I've personally seen!

Back