First Major Repair For The Outback

Wow, at this low age and mileage?
I do routine maintenance on on SIL's 2017 Outback. She bought it new, it lives in a very mild climate, and it has just 85K miles on it. The passenger side cam cover leaks badly and the driver's side seeps noticeably.

Older Subarus had fewer problems.
Sue and I bought a new 2000 Outback while we lived in Colorado. Of the 30 or so cars I've owned it was the biggest POS of them all. Leaking head gaskets, bad wheel bearings, defective flywheel, electrical problems, you name it. Complete and total junk.

Scott

So, just doing some routine checks under the hood on our 2019 Subaru Outback and noticed it was about 1/2 a quart low on oil. Oil was changed about 2500 miles ago and it is a Subaru so I thought nothing of it. Next following days I was blowing out the dust/debris from under the hood and noticed the top of the passenger side cam carrier/cover was wet with oil. Took it in just a little bit ago and it's not just a seep, but a good drip. Normally these just seep, but this one is "major" so they're pulling the engine and re-sealing it all. Normally they can re-seal the covers in car. Drivers side is just starting to seep as well. I've noticed a spot on the garage floor, but just attributed it to the HVAC dripping, but upon further investigation it's indeed oil...

AsKYk4O.jpg

Going to be covered under extended warranty that came from Subaru. Car is also due for spark plugs and asked them for a quote since the engine is out and access is super simple. They want to charge and hour labor @$180 and parts $120+ for an extra total of over $300. Makes no sense at all I declined obviously. I can buy a set of swivel adapters and extended spark plug socket, along with plugs for under the $120 parts cost.

They did give me a 2023 Outback as a loaner. Quick overview in Vehicles shortly on what I think of it (spoiler: I hate it, lol)
Similar to many cars, Subarus are decent. I feel they tend to be a good value given their price and AWD and gas mileage. But I don't understand the fanatics that claim they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. They have plenty of odd issues that, in my opinion, shouldn't be issues in an amazing brand. Which is why I find them decent. I'd buy another one because they fit our life. But I'd never claim it's by far the best brand I've ever owned like the fanatics.

Back