First Major Repair For The Outback

Going back to another Toyota...
Even Toyotas leak. You have to drop the subframe with engine and trans to reseal the 2GR 3.5L family V6 that is a common issue as they get older. Easier if it’s a Tacoma or a Lexus GS/IS that’s RWD.

It’s how the Subaru engine is packaged as well as their insistence to stick with the boxer engine as well.

It seems to me they should do the plugs at more of a discount since the plugs should be right there for removal.
Wondering if they have to pull the plugs anyways to take the rocker covers off, and reseal the spark plug tubes.
I am more familiar with EJ teardown. Don't know about FB25 with D.I.

I will say the NGK ruthenium iridium fingernail spark plugs should be good to 100k easy. I have pulled then with high miles and they looked new and gap was good. I think they have the old platinum plug schedule in the OM and never updated it.
subaru FB25 NGK factory ruthenium plugs.jpg

Threads like these exist on every kindof forum related to products. Someone has a legit issue, other people chime in about their bad experiences with the same product, then by the end of page 1 on the thread a lot of people are convinced that Subaru has never ever built a good product.

Threads like these exist on every kindof forum related to products. Someone has a legit issue, other people chime in about their bad experiences with the same product, then by the end of page 1 on the thread a lot of people are convinced that Subaru has never ever built a good product.
IMO, Subaru and Nissan are about equal for quality. Toyota is taking a laissez-faire approach with their ownership of Subaru as well, except for the BZ4X/Solterra, JDM kei cars and the Crosstrek PHEV that hits up the Prius Prime/PHEV parts bin, Toyota hasn’t strongarmed their TNGA/Dynamic Force architectures onto them else it’s just rebranding.

Subaru engineering, except for their AWD system as well their build quality isn’t as great as first-tier Japanese(Toyota/Honda). They’re in the second tier but not as bad as Nissan in the third tier. Suspension, CV axles and wheel bearings are grossly undersized on a Subie.

Glad you got the extended warranty. I bought an extended warranty with my new Tucson. Repairs are ridiculously high now days. That warranty can quickly pay for itself.
I don't want to sound negative but it seems that the new Subies are not as bullet proof as the old ones. I guess maybe cars are just more complex to milk better gas mileage out of them.

Is OP’s Subaru a 4 or 6 cylinder?
4 but it seems both can have similar leakage problems... I did a little searching around the 2015-19 subaru forums and it seems more 6 cyl owners post about it, and there's less of them, so it seems its more commonly a 6 cyl problem. Some have had dealers get subaru to help out after the warranty as well. I'm not too worried about it, most seep as well, so many don't notice the oil loss over an OCI.

$30 per plug?
4 but it seems both can have similar leakage problems... I did a little searching around the 2015-19 subaru forums and it seems more 6 cyl owners post about it, and there's less of them, so it seems its more commonly a 6 cyl problem. Some have had dealers get subaru to help out after the warranty as well. I'm not too worried about it, most seep as well, so many don't notice the oil loss over an OCI.

Yeah, I’ve had one mechanic tell me the 6 cylinder Subaru engine shave a lot more problems than the four cylinders.. this was back in 2019. And I have a new roo coming in in 5 weeks with what I’m assuming is the same Motor.

Pic of FB25 with PI with the VC off. Looks like preformed poly or syn rubber gaskets Don't know how the D. I . version is different. Prob NOT leaking from the VC.

Does the OP have the D.I. engine?

Speaking of leaks, I have a roof leak I have to figure out, Leaking into master bedroom right on the bed. Wife is not pleased.

FB25 PI.jpg

Last edited:
Exactly 1 week down to the hour the car was ready and picked up. Bill was covered under the certified pre owned warranty, so no out of pocket cost at all. I can upload a pic of the invoice with parts list later if anybody is curious.

Glad to have my Subie back. The loaner was nice, but I like this 5th gen better!

Exactly 1 week down to the hour the car was ready and picked up. Bill was covered under the certified pre owned warranty, so no out of pocket cost at all. I can upload a pic of the invoice with parts list later if anybody is curious.

Glad to have my Subie back. The loaner was nice, but I like this 5th gen better!
I'm curious to see labor times and the write up

Not necessary, but if you have the time 🤔

So, just doing some routine checks under the hood on our 2019 Subaru Outback and noticed it was about 1/2 a quart low on oil. Oil was changed about 2500 miles ago and it is a Subaru so I thought nothing of it. Next following days I was blowing out the dust/debris from under the hood and noticed the top of the passenger side cam carrier/cover was wet with oil. Took it in just a little bit ago and it's not just a seep, but a good drip. Normally these just seep, but this one is "major" so they're pulling the engine and re-sealing it all. Normally they can re-seal the covers in car. Drivers side is just starting to seep as well. I've noticed a spot on the garage floor, but just attributed it to the HVAC dripping, but upon further investigation it's indeed oil...

AsKYk4O.jpg

Going to be covered under extended warranty that came from Subaru. Car is also due for spark plugs and asked them for a quote since the engine is out and access is super simple. They want to charge and hour labor @$180 and parts $120+ for an extra total of over $300. Makes no sense at all I declined obviously. I can buy a set of swivel adapters and extended spark plug socket, along with plugs for under the $120 parts cost.

They did give me a 2023 Outback as a loaner. Quick overview in Vehicles shortly on what I think of it (spoiler: I hate it, lol)
Better talk them into a set of head gaskets while you're at it, those will be next up on the list of repairs.

Back